Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray offered substantial pay rise, deal still deadlocked

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Forum is going to be in over drive tomorrow "Glenn was waving good bye" "Glenn through his shirt in the crowd!!!" etc etc

Doubt he will play so expect people to read something into that and how he is faking an injury so he doesn't have to say goodbye and is being disrespectful to us fans who have shown him so much report and never said anything bad about him

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
agree, however 3 strikers in place of Murray are you saying (which I just dont see that equation) or 3 strikers in total which I also dont see with Barnes still here and performing.

Its not just Murray though - Holroyd, Sandaza and Hart, all released.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We just dont have the same attacking intent when Glenn isnt in the team.

He wins the headers from long balls, he holds the ball up when its given to his feet. He has pace to beat defenders. He also drops deep to create a link between bridcutt and the attack, when he doesnt play the other forwards dont have the same work rate or ability to control and hold up the ball. He also now has the confidence to shoot from distance (something he has never done before)

We need him in the team, even if he doesnt score as many in the championship. No player in the team wins more penalties and free kicks in dangerous areas. And this also brings Bennett and his many assists into the picture.
Another "THIS" from me.

Murray is a class act. If DJ Campbell can play in the top flight, so can Glenn. The fact that the club are still negotiating with him having cleared out some dead wood is a very positive sign, so I'm more hopeful than I was a month ago.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
how much is he worth? £1million? thats how much he will cost to replace . arguably hes worth more than that to us. sign him up on a good wage that doesnt break the wage structure and give him a big signing on fee

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
'Unproven' at Championship level is not the same as 'not good enough' for Championship level.
I rate Muzza as a better all round player than Grant Holt ..... and I think it's fair to say that Holt didn't look out of place in the Championship!

Losing Murray would be a massive blow.
I don't doubt it's brinkmanship on both sides, but I sincerely hope it ends as a win, win, and Murray stays.

I can't understand the knockers on here saying let him go he's a greedy bastard.
There isn't a person on this board who wouldn't try and get more money for doing the same job if they could get away with it.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Whether its just negotiation or not, I cannot help thinking that the statement is an indication that the club feel they are going to lose him or that Gus doesn't necessarily feel that he is critical to the clubs future success anyway.

This statement seems to be aimed not at Murray and his representatives as it is quite a damning and unnecessary public statement that seems unlikely to ease through further negotiation its more for supporter consumption.

Its looks like the club are saying to us, that we have tried our best but he just wont budge and when he moves on to another club it wasn't our fault.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
The club have so far offered what they believe to be the correct wages for a good league 1 striker but a striker whose never played in the championship.......thats not to say they wouldnt be prepared to pay higher wages to a striker who is proven at championship level.....im pretty sure Glenn isnt the only striker Gus has in his plans. Murray was excellent this season but before that never really set the world alight for us. I really hope he stays and has another great season but if he goes im sure Gus will replace him with a proven championship striker and we move on........

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
Starting to lose sympathy with this whole deal now. If he goes, he goes. To me it just shows a lack of loyalty and greed on the agents part.

Please don't blame the club for not acting quick enough. Because we would soon blame the club if we ended up having to sell everyone if our bid failed just because we went overboard paying silly wages.

The sooner some sort of wage cap is implemented the better, because we are seeing now the true cost of what it means to be in the Championship. Wage cap would stop all this crap, and everyone would be equal and a player would look at the club before the wages.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Argus:

Albion are locked in a battle with Glen Murray over the worth of their top goalscorer.

The League One title winners have offered the out of contract striker a substantial pay rise in a deal they feel fairly reflects the value of a player unproven at Championship level.

Murray and his recently appointed new representative are unhappy with the offer and he could go elsewhere with Millwall favourites to land the 27 year old if agreement cannot be reached with the Seagulls.

A spokesman for Murray claimed 'If they come up with an offer which represents his market value, in line with other clubs, then he would be more than happy to sign because he loves playing for Brighton. He wants to stay, there is no doubt about that. He loves the fans and has an enormous amount of respect for the club but at the moment the offer is nowhere near the market rate of what Glenn deserves for where he is at'.

Albion are reluctant to increase the deal on the table as they believe they can land a more experienced and proven forward on the same terms.

Millwall,Crystal Palace, and Southampton are monitoring the situation closely.

You typed that in, didn't you? Dedicated.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
There are very few players indeed outside of the Premiership with as good an all round game as Glenn. It will be a colossal blow to lose him.

Spot on. Massive massive loss.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
We just dont have the same attacking intent when Glenn isnt in the team.

He wins the headers from long balls, he holds the ball up when its given to his feet. He has pace to beat defenders. He also drops deep to create a link between bridcutt and the attack, when he doesnt play the other forwards dont have the same work rate or ability to control and hold up the ball. He also now has the confidence to shoot from distance (something he has never done before)

We need him in the team, even if he doesnt score as many in the championship. No player in the team wins more penalties and free kicks in dangerous areas. And this also brings Bennett and his many assists into the picture.

You can also add to this that he wins a lot of defensive headers at set pieces ... Not something that you see from all stikers.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
There are very few players indeed outside of the Premiership with as good an all round game as Glenn. It will be a colossal blow to lose him.

As much as I love Glenn, is this actually true though?

We don't know that much about CCC players, there are some duffers and some good 'uns no doubt.

Glenn might find it a bit tougher against bigger defenders, and ones with more pace too. His penchant for being offside might also be exploited.

Having said that I would 'LOVE IT' if he signed.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Gonna have to pay the big bucks if we want to push on! This is were footie gets messy! New era guys:facepalm:

I am sure we will pay "big bucks" to the right players. Obviously Murray has been offered as much as Gus thinks he is worth. I for one fully agree with that as a matter of principle.

I hope that at some point we withdraw the offer if he buggers about for too long. We need to be building a team to challenge for the Championship Playoffs next year, and we cannot afford another LuaLua "will he won't he join" type wait while he makes up his mind. That really f***ed us for the start of last season.

Last edited:

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester

Don't get me wrong, he's been brilliant this season and it will be a massive loss to us if he goes. But how do we know he'll be better than any other first choice Championship striker when he hasn't played a full season at that level?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here