Murray offered substantial pay rise, deal still deadlocked

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Does anyone have a record of our WDL without Murray in the team, and maybe more pertinently how many goals we've scored without him in the side. Acker?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Does anyone have a record of our WDL without Murray in the team, and maybe more pertinently how many goals we've scored without him in the side. Acker?

Why? Next year we will have other, better, players, so how we were without him this year makes no difference. For fucks sake - don't you think Gus knows what he is doing, and that Tony Bloom would back him with cash if he wanted to pay more to Murray?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Ball is in his court. Sensible, fair offer and see what happens. Nothing more to sensibly do. If he gets crazy money somewhere else bring a better player in on less, but we shoulkd deffo sign him for market value if he's happy with that. Unfortunately there seem to be some mental clubs out there.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
'Unproven' at Championship level is not the same as 'not good enough' for Championship level.
I rate Muzza as a better all round player than Grant Holt ..... and I think it's fair to say that Holt didn't look out of place in the Championship!

Losing Murray would be a massive blow.
I don't doubt it's brinkmanship on both sides, but I sincerely hope it ends as a win, win, and Murray stays.

I can't understand the knockers on here saying let him go he's a greedy bastard.
There isn't a person on this board who wouldn't try and get more money for doing the same job if they could get away with it.

It depends if the same job is available, where it is and what the new company is like and how far it is to travel. These are the things we have to consider in the real world. Remember Glenn is probably being offered about 2k or 3k a week more, its a little bit different to say 3k a year more.

It does not matter what club Glenn goes too, he can easily afford to move and buy a nice luxury apartment without worrying about money. We do, that's the difference. And that's why footballers and especially their agents are all greedy bastards.

I'm just pointing out the differences between us and them, that's all.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
A Player of Glenn's quality would cost well above £500,000. Why don't we offer him a £500,000 signing on fee on top of his wages. It's got to be worth keeping him rather than buying a replacement who may not work with our team

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Such a difficult call for Glenn. He is not the sort of player to come in and get instant recognition. I appreciate he was originally unsettled down south, but his laconic style does make him an instant hit with a lot of fans. He is, we understand, settled, in a team using his strengths, creating plenty of chances for him, and is loved by the supporters. Add the Amex factor, and that is a big draw.

But this is the deal of his career. How much is it worth to him not to have to settle into a new club, win over the support, and have to prove himself in what could be a struggling team.

Tricky.

But we have Bloom doing the negotiating, and Gus looking at alternatives. Which we have got to be more than happy about.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
A Player of Glenn's quality would cost well above £500,000. Why don't we offer him a £500,000 signing on fee on top of his wages. It's got to be worth keeping him rather than buying a replacement who may not work with our team

Maybe you should ring Gus and Tony and suggest that. They probably haven't considered it.

Poyet has proven that he will not be held over a barrel for anyone. If Murray's agent feels that he can get him a better deal elsewhere good luck to him. Murray is unproven at a higher level. The money can be used to bring in another player. Players come and players, this is how football is. If I was in Poyet's and Bloom's shoes I would say " Thanks Glenn and bye bye"

Last edited:

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
'Unproven' at Championship level is not the same as 'not good enough' for Championship level.
I rate Muzza as a better all round player than Grant Holt ..... and I think it's fair to say that Holt didn't look out of place in the Championship!

Losing Murray would be a massive blow.
I don't doubt it's brinkmanship on both sides, but I sincerely hope it ends as a win, win, and Murray stays.

I can't understand the knockers on here saying let him go he's a greedy bastard.
There isn't a person on this board who wouldn't try and get more money for doing the same job if they could get away with it.

I have no problem with 90% of this post and agree with the most part, but it's just the bit about Murray being a better all round player than Grant Holt that I just have to take up with you.

I know Murray brings a lot to the side, he isnt just the 20 odd goal man....his hold up and link up play with Barnes and wood at times is fantastic, the little niggly fouls he wins is a great part of his game too....but for me he's not on the same level as Grant Holt in terms of forward line figure head.

The part where I seperate the two of them is the strength and power that Holt has compared to Murray, he is what I would call a proper 'Danger man'. They are different in a lot of aspects but this is where I see Murray not being massively prolific at a higher level, the defenders are stronger, tougher, bigger and more expiereinced and I just feel that Murray's game will struggle to adapt as quickly as Holt has.

All that aside, I do think we should try to keep him at the club, as a full restructure of our forward line is not a good thing in my opinion, slotting a new striker next to Murray to play alongside isnt a massive transformation, but having a brand new forward line that has to not only work with each other but also get used to how we play could take time.

We shouldnt smash the wage structure for Glenn but we should maybe lay down a large sign on fee/sweetner of around £250-500k & something like a performance related bonus. Maybe weve offered that, but whatever the case, im sure Bloom is a great negotiator and a deal can be struck.

I genuinely believe Glenn wants to stay, Poyet obviously has got the best out of him, sources claim he's much more settled, so if he goes if will be for silly money to a club who either has money to burn or doesnt mind taking financial risks to achieve the goal of getting into the prem, that i'm afraid is modern day football.

If he goes he goes, main man is Senor Poyet but I for one hope Glenn stays, but defo wouldnt blame the guy for chasing more bucks.

Last edited:

Re-reading that story from the Argus, I'd ask 'what's changed?'

Glenn wants X, the club is apparently offering Y, and the agent is bigging him up yakking to the press again.

And...? :shrug:

I thought this when I read it the first time. The Argus rehashing info that's already in the public domain with a cliche "quote" from the player's agent thrown in for added interest - NOT.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

My stats files are at home for up to date stuff.

These are from April (after 40 league games)

strikers1.jpg

strikers2.jpg

Our overall record at that point:
winloss.jpg

The team (including Glenn himself) had scored 73 out of 84 goals with him on the pitch, but bear in mind Glenn has played so frequently, so I'm not sure if it means that much (i.e. More of our goals have come with Marcos Painter on the pitch, more with Bennett, because they've played more minutes than Glenn, does that mean without Painter we aren't as much of a goal scoring threat?)

(I say that only as a disclaimer, I think Glenn has been fantastic this year, and I believe there's better to come from him)

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
My stats files are at home for up to date stuff.

These are from April (after 40 league games)

strikers1.jpg

strikers2.jpg

The team (including Glenn himself) had scored 73 out of 84 goals with him on the pitch, but bear in mind Glenn has played so frequently, so I'm not sure if it means that much (i.e. More of our goals have come with Marcos Painter on the pitch, more with Bennett, because they've played more minutes than Glenn, does that mean without Painter we aren't as much of a goal scoring threat?)

(I say that only as a disclaimer, I think Glenn has been fantastic this year, and I believe there's better to come from him)

Do you keep those records yourself? If so - get a life mate!

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Starting to lose sympathy with this whole deal now. If he goes, he goes. To me it just shows a lack of loyalty and greed on the agents part.

Please don't blame the club for not acting quick enough. Because we would soon blame the club if we ended up having to sell everyone if our bid failed just because we went overboard paying silly wages.

The sooner some sort of wage cap is implemented the better, because we are seeing now the true cost of what it means to be in the Championship. Wage cap would stop all this crap, and everyone would be equal and a player would look at the club before the wages.

Why should he show us any loyalty. If he had, had a bad season or been injured the chances are we would be releasing him. He is just trying to do the best he can for himself in what might be his last big contract.

Apart from supporters there is no loyalty in football, and yes I know Gary Hart and Kerry Mayo stayed for years, but was that because they were loyal or because they were not wanted by anyone else!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just looks like Murray's "recently appointed new representative" trying to drum up a nice extra bit of commission for himself.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
Why should he show us any loyalty. If he had, had a bad season or been injured the chances are we would be releasing him. He is just trying to do the best he can for himself in what might be his last big contract.

Apart from supporters there is no loyalty in football, and yes I know Gary Hart and Kerry Mayo stayed for years, but was that because they were loyal or because they were not wanted by anyone else!

Spot on, we're not offering Nav a new contract as he's injured. Where's the loyalty there? In theory he might not get another pro contract again but does that affect the club's thinking? Nope.

Sergei Gotsmanov

Russian international
Jun 3, 2007
Hove
I would be very happy if Glenn stays but echo the fact that he is not irreplaceable....no one knows if he will make the step up to the Championship but I agree that his game is probably better suited to that level as he will have a little more time on the ball. His contribution aside from his goals has been invaluable this season.

I think other clubs, and Glenn himself, should also look at how long it took Glenn to settle here when considering whether to sign him. This season is really the only one that he has been good for us although i'm aware that he was playing with the hernia problem for quite a long time which undoubtedly would have hindered him. He won't get that same amount of time to settle at a new club.

IMO getting Bridcutt tied in was more important than signing Murray.

If he goes I would not expect to get less than £2m for him and think we could sign a very good player for that kind of money....especially if we look on the continent. That said, if he goes and we need to sign 3 new strikers we also have the risk that they may take time to settle.

Ees complicated no?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports