Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray, Cook, Elphick..

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Thanks for that passionate post. Puts the pressure on the development squad obviously and you didnt comment on CMS for Murray. Any thoughts? These things will make us question our "footballing people". Great chairman but has he been let down?

Clubs have to make their best guess based on very limited information and all clubs will get it wrong from time to time. Players may succeed at one club and may fail at another without an obvious explanation despite everything looking like he will do well for the new club (Torres for example)

Continuing to drone on about it for years to come doesn't help anyone.

Moaning about new signings not being good enough, even before they kick a ball (as happened this season) doesn't help the team (and possibly put off other potential signings from joining - why sign if they are only going to get abuse?)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Poyet ain't the best when it comes to talent spotting and paying out. Sunderland fans will tell you that, ironically those who went from us are deemed poor buys.

didn't we pass on Woods and Sam Vokes too for example? Just stirring the pot further that's all!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Clubs have to make their best guess based on very limited information and all clubs will get it wrong from time to time. Players may succeed at one club and may fail at another without an obvious explanation despite everything looking like he will do well for the new club (Torres for example)

Continuing to drone on about it for years to come doesn't help anyone.

Moaning about new signings not being good enough, even before they kick a ball (as happened this season) doesn't help the team (and possibly put off other potential signings from joining - why sign if they are only going to get abuse?)

Oh please. Not as if BHA fans have a monopoly on moaning compared to other club fans!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Were all of these decisions Poyets? Certainly deciding to spend £3 Million on CMS instead of giving Murray more money was Poyets mistake, but Cook and Elphick going and we have instead? There is much point in Bloom delivering a decent budget if we let three premier league footballers leave for next to nothing. Have the "football people" let Tony Bloom down?
Plymouth fans must of been scratching their heads over Barnes five seasons ago. I doubt if they still start threads about him now.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Poyet ain't the best when it comes to talent spotting and paying out. Sunderland fans will tell you that, ironically those who went from us are deemed poor buys.

didn't we pass on Woods and Sam Vokes too for example? Just stirring the pot further that's all!

We definitely passed on Vokes, Burnley picked him up for £350k.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Yes, these were all Poyet's decisions as far as we know. Elphick because he was coming back from injury and could not get in the side (I seem to remember that some people expressed surprise that we gave him another contract as his contract ran out when he was injured, others that the club had done a good thing giving him a new contract as it kept his career going), Cook went on loan 2 months before he was sold because Poyet said he needed to grow up and he could also not get in the side and Murray for whatever reason you want to believe (Poyet didn't rate him, we could not up our offer to him as we had separate transfer and wages pots, he is a secret caravan dweller etc).

Paul Barber reiterates every time that he is asked that no player has left the club or been bought to the club without the managers say so. That statement should keep this "retro" thread going for another 5 pages at least.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Honestly don't think Elphick and especially Cook are that good.

Their failing were hidden by 9 other really good players at this level.

They are top of the list of players Bournemouth need to replace if they are to survive in the Premier League.

And you know that for sure how exactly?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, these were all Poyet's decisions as far as we know. Elphick because he was coming back from injury and could not get in the side (I seem to remember that some people expressed surprise that we gave him another contract as his contract ran out when he was injured, others that the club had done a good thing giving him a new contract as it kept his career going), Cook went on loan 2 months before he was sold because Poyet said he needed to grow up and he could also not get in the side and Murray for whatever reason you want to believe (Poyet didn't rate him, we could not up our offer to him as we had separate transfer and wages pots, he is a secret caravan dweller etc).

Paul Barber reiterates every time that he is asked that no player has left the club or been bought to the club without the managers say so. That statement should keep this "retro" thread going for another 5 pages at least.

Andrea Orlandi says differently. Oscar recommended that he stayed, although by resigning, you could say he hadn't the authority to make a decision. It was probably Jones who made the decision.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Honestly don't think Elphick and especially Cook are that good.

Their failing were hidden by 9 other really good players at this level.

They are top of the list of players Bournemouth need to replace if they are to survive in the Premier League.

I agree with you to an extent. They seem to be decent Championship defenders; however I don't think they're anything special. Bournemouth got promoted because they have some very good attacking players and scored an shed load of goals, not because of Cook and Elphick.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
In that case you really do think that Lawro is a better pundit than he was a footballer. I was joking. I thought it was obvious but you are entitled to your view.

Lawrenson was pretty average, hardly even scored (not a prolific as Dunk anyhow). Never got near the England squad and was lucky to get a move to Liverpool where he and Hansen were pretty average too.

That's my view at the merrrment anyway.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, that's an interesting one. Am not sure who ended up doing the retained list that season - probably Burke.

There's also the point that all three players in the thread title were offered contracts by BHA, so were not turned down by the manager. All 3 chose better contracts elsewhere.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Lawrenson was pretty average, hardly even scored (not a prolific as Dunk anyhow). Never got near the England squad and was lucky to get a move to Liverpool where he and Hansen were pretty average too.

That's my view at the merrrment anyway.

Is this the same Mark Lawrenson who played for the Republic of Ireland?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Lot of flaunting of hindsight skills going on here! I don't remember much fuss and wringing of hands when Cook and Elphick left. More along the lines of, "Yep, fair enough" seemed to be the main gist of responses. Even when Murray left, the angst was muted by the excitement generated by the fact that we'd just beaten several other interested clubs to sign a £2.5M super striker who couldn't stop scoring goals for fun. With nice hair ................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here