Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray, Cook, Elphick..

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Is this the same Mark Lawrenson who played for the Republic of Ireland?

WARNING I'm making a serious point. Lawro was very highly regarded. Unfortunately for him and England he chose to play for Eire at a very early age. He was even tagged by the British press as the best central defender in the world at one stage. His list of medals is more than anyone currently playing in the UK could dream of.
He has done ok of course on TV but his punditry and puns are probably not world class. Hence my hilarious bit of satire above which the well informed NSC brigade adored…… I mean ignored.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
WARNING I'm making a serious point. Lawro was very highly regarded. Unfortunately for him and England he chose to play for Eire at a very early age. He was even tagged by the British press as the best central defender in the world at one stage. His list of medals is more than anyone currently playing in the UK could dream of.
He has done ok of course on TV but his punditry and puns are probably not world class. Hence my hilarious bit of satire above which the well informed NSC brigade adored…… I mean ignored.
True. And Hansen and Lawrenson was one of the best central defensive partnerships I can remember.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I haven't read the whole thread but Poyet was not very good at spotting and using young talent that had not already player League football. He had lots of other attributes but giving extended game time to youth players was not something he did. We clearly had some talent because Dunk, Ince and March have come through since he left.

I like a stick to beat Poyet with but releasing Cook and Elphick three seasons ago to a League One side cannot be one of them for me.

I just hope the recruitment team at the Academy are a big step up from the one running the first team over the last couple of years or our ambition for some time to come will be to stay in the Championship :smile:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
His list of medals is more than anyone currently playing in the UK could dream of.

Apart from John Terry, Rio Ferdinand, Petr Cech and Frank Lampard you mean, all who've won more trophies/medals than Lawro. Even Wayne Rooney is tied with him. Nothing like making a sweeping statement as fact without checking it first.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I doubt it matey boy

Lawrenson - 5 League Titles, 1 FA Cup, 3 League Cups, 1 European Cup and 2 Charity Shields - 12 Trophies
Rio - 6 League Titles, 1 FA Cup, 2 League Cups, 1 Champions League, 5 Charity Shields, 1 Fifa World Club Cup - 16 Trophies
John Terry - 3 League Titles, 5 FA Cups, 3 League Cups, 1 Champions League, 1 Uefa/Europa Cup, 2 Charity Shields - 15 Trophies
Wayne Rooney - 5 League Titles, 2 League Cups, 1 Champions League, 3 Charity Shields, 1 Fifa World Club Cup - 12 Trophies
Frank Lampard - 3 League Titles, 4 FA Cups, 2 League Cups, 1 Champions League, 1 Uefa/Europa Cup, 2 Charity Shields - 13 Trophies
Petr Cech - 3 League Titles, 4 FA Cups, 3 League Cups, 1 Champions League, 1 Uefa/Europa Cup, 2 Charity Shields - 14 Trophies

Even if you discount the Charity Shield as it's a pre season friendly they've still won more than Lawro has apart from Rooney who would be 1 win behind and still playing so plenty of time to catch him.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Cant win them all ! Certainly not down the Abion. Scrape out of the relegation zone with a top 10 budget. Let two local lads go and who prove them wrong, buy a bloke for £3 Million who ran around whilst Murray gets 30 odd goals to get palace promoted and is a class above even his hailed replacement (after CMS also failed) of Ulloa. Its not just last summer where questions need asking of our "footballing people" down the Albion. Great chairman but does any coach know anything about football at the club? Were these three mistakes Poyets?
Who let them go?

Cook made a handful of appearences with us then we let him go because at the time he was not deemed good enough. Assuming, this is of course, based on the possession-passing philosophy the club embraced. Cook may well not have been a defender comfortable on the ball at the time. Hindsight is truly, a wonderful thing.

Elphick had a serious, serious injury. Him dropping a league was for him to re-establish himself. At the time, our ambitions were promotion. He'd be on the bench or even in the development squad. I'm sure he thought dropping a league is better than sitting on his arse. He made the choice to go, it was good for both parties.

No one forced these guys out, because some unknown evil forces behind the coaching staff did. They were circumstantial. You're clearly only find what you can just to have a moan at the club.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
It didnt show much foresight. What are we doing with a development squad when 2 local players leave and a season later they are a main part in getting another club promoted

The development process is not working Jake is another prime example,he is treading water at the moment.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The development process is not working Jake is another prime example,he is treading water at the moment.

If you mean JFC he's about to spend his summer treading water as a regular for the England U21s alongside Harry Kane in the European Champs...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes, that's an interesting one. Am not sure who ended up doing the retained list that season - probably Burke.

retained list of 2014...

Bloom: "[the retained list] is not an immediate decision, that has been taken since [the defeat against Derby in the play-offs]. It is something which has been under discussion and review with Oscar for a number of weeks. The final decisions have been taken with input from David Burke, Nathan Jones and me." via
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/albion-retained-list-1552160.aspx

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here