• Murphy

Votes: 102 59.0%
  • Skalak

Votes: 71 41.0%

• Total voters

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Murphy v Skalak 2015/2016 season stats

Murphy - 2681 minutes played - 6 goals 4 assists - average of 1.4 shots per game - average of 1.1 dribbles per game

Skalak - 866 minutes played - 2 goals 6 assists - average of 1.1 shots per game - average of 0.3 dribbles per game
Amended - Misread the post

I dont like such stats because what constitutes a sucessful dribble ?

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill
Murphy for me as he gives us more of a threat when running at defenders, also gives defenders problems when he cuts inside.
Skalak has a great dead ball delivery but not as consistent as he has been lately.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Hard to disagree about what you're saying about both players. [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION] has close links with Murphy, and has mentioned that he has been working on generating more power in his shooting, which still seems to need a bit of work in my view.

His power in shooting isn't going to get any better. It just isn't - I like Jamie a lot but some players just cannot generate lots of power when shooting but he can use both feet equally well and that is a plus point.

There something I discuss with people about Jamie in his role at corners. Most playes are given a role for corners when we are in attack and they have a man to follow if they break quickly from our corners but I would give Jamie a free role at corners. At Motherwell he was good at picking up knock downs and loose balls when they drop. Having a man to mark in case they break quickly means that he cant always go into the positions where he can pick up loose balls.

Thats probably not going to happend because CH is always cautious that teams can break quickly on us when we have corners or free kicks

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
His power in shooting isn't going to get any better. It just isn't - I like Jamie a lot but some players just cannot generate lots of power when shooting but he can use both feet equally well and that is a plus point.

There something I discuss with people about Jamie in his role at corners. Most playes are given a role for corners when we are in attack and they have a man to follow if they break quickly from our corners but I would give Jamie a free role at corners. At Motherwell he was good at picking up knock downs and loose balls when they drop. Having a man to mark in case they break quickly means that he cant always go into the positions where he can pick up loose balls.

Thats probably not going to happend because CH is always cautious that teams can break quickly on us when we have corners or free kicks

Thanks for this, as ever. And I agree with you about stats, and what constitutes a dribble. I said in an earlier post that Murphy sets off with the ball at least a dozen times in games (maybe less in away games) and travels significant distances. This is one of his greatest strengths in my view, especially when compared with Skalak.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Murphy at this time. He brings a much greater threat than Jiri with his ability to go past players and willingness to shoot...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Surely an assist is where you have helped or assisted getting the goal in which case being fouled is not of you doing so the assist should go to the person who committed the foul on you if anybody certainly not the player fouled .

If Murphy had a shot that was handled by a defender to concede a penalty would he still get an assist for getting the penalty.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Surely an assist is where you have helped or assisted getting the goal in which case being fouled is not of you doing so the assist should go to the person who committed the foul on you if anybody certainly not the player fouled .

If Murphy had a shot that was handled by a defender to concede a penalty would he still get an assist for getting the penalty.

In my book, yes he would - his play has ultimately created the opportunity to score the goal. If you don't wish to 'count' it, that's fine too. Its a pretty loose concept.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

So let me get this straight... if Anthony Knockaert or David Stockdale for that matter was to pick the ball up in his own half, beat 5 players, round the keeper, be just about to roll the ball into an empty net when he is wiped out from behind by a covering defender gaining us a penalty, you think he should not get an assist for that penalty scored ?.....

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
Murphy, You can rely on him to get back and defend. He seems to be getting his range, lots of shots of late so I expect some goals to start coming for him soon enough. Tonight would be a good time to start!

Skalak rolls around to much looking for free kicks also seems to get knocked off the ball to much. One in 3 of his deliveries are quality but I think Murphy is the better all round player at the moment.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
This poll started very close, and at one stage was 20/20 or so. But is now looking more and more one sided, which although I prefer Murphy i am suprised by.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Skalak had a pretty decent game tonight :)

I'd go with Murphy away from home though at the weekend.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
I prefer Murphy as a player as I think Skalak is easier for opposition to contain however I would suggest Skalak at home as we tend to dominate more with Murphy away when we need the extra attacking flair and penetration.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Frankly I don't understand how anyone could vote Murphy and tonight proved it. Arguably MoM performance tonight from Skalak both in attack and defence. I just wish Knockie wouldn't be so greedy and let Skalak take more of the free kicks because Knockie hasn't put in a decent free kick at home for weeks. I think Knockie would be a better player if he used himself a little more sparingly. But Skalak or Murphy - it'a no-brainer. Skalak every time. Especially after tonight against Wolves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here