• Murphy

Votes: 102 59.0%
  • Skalak

Votes: 71 41.0%

• Total voters

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Murphy worked his nuts off at the weekend, and deserves another go. Skalak can always come on later if he starts to tire.

Those doubting Skalak, by the way, it's worth remembering that the rest of our players finished their season and headed for the beaches in mid May. Jiri would have trained all the way through till the Czech Republic were knocked out on 21st June, five whole weeks after the rest of them.. The Albion squad then commenced training again in early July (might even have been 30th June or something like that). Sure, Skalak was given extra time off to recover, but when he does come back, he's already playing catch up with a bunch of players who've been working on their fitness for at least a fortnight.

Last season must have been physically and emotionally exhausting for our players. Most of them had a long break and a chance to really clear their heads and get ready to go again. Skalak, though I'm sure he was thrilled to represent his country, didn't get anything like the same amount of time away from the game, so I think we need to show him a little patience and support this time around. He deserves that.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Really difficult one. Murphy can go on mazy runs but very rarely seems to have an end product. Skalak isn't very good at beating a man but his crossing is better and seems better defensively too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's also worth mentioning, (as pointed out on the Player Ratings thread), that Murphy had a hand in both of our goals, on Saturday.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Murphy worked his nuts off at the weekend, and deserves another go. Skalak can always come on later if he starts to tire.

Those doubting Skalak, by the way, it's worth remembering that the rest of our players finished their season and headed for the beaches in mid May. Jiri would have trained all the way through till the Czech Republic were knocked out on 21st June, five whole weeks after the rest of them.. The Albion squad then commenced training again in early July (might even have been 30th June or something like that). Sure, Skalak was given extra time off to recover, but when he does come back, he's already playing catch up with a bunch of players who've been working on their fitness for at least a fortnight.

Last season must have been physically and emotionally exhausting for our players. Most of them had a long break and a chance to really clear their heads and get ready to go again. Skalak, though I'm sure he was thrilled to represent his country, didn't get anything like the same amount of time away from the game, so I think we need to show him a little patience and support this time around. He deserves that.

Its a great point, I am a fan of Skalak, currently for me however Murphy gets the nod. Skalak will come good again I have no doubt.

The voting is clearly showiing there is very little in it as I thought, probably comes down to which sort of winger people prefer.

D

Deleted member 2719

This season so far Knockaert has averaged 4.4 successful dribbles per game

I reckon March has at least 2.5 successful dribbles per game, any stats on him???

I like dribbling.:drool:

I hope Solly comes back the same player as he is our best option IMO.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Depends on the opposition, as perviously mentioned, so there is no one correct answer. Both are good and it's nice to have options!
But for sake of the poll, my preference is to start with Skalak and have the option to bring on Murphy later to run at a tired defence.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Murphy. Needs a good run of games. Much more direct then Skalak who looks lost sometimes when receiving ball.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Murphy would also be my choice.

He carries the ball better, goes past a player more often, has more goals in him than Skalak and is also better defensively in my opinion.

Skalak crosses a better ball and has good delivery from set pieces, but recently even that has been dissapointing...

Hard to disagree about what you're saying about both players. [MENTION=30752]NooBHA[/MENTION] has close links with Murphy, and has mentioned that he has been working on generating more power in his shooting, which still seems to need a bit of work in my view.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Just done some research on this season

Skalak - 670 minutes played - average of 0.4 shots per game with 0 goals and 1 assist - average of 0.7 successful dribbles per game

Murphy - 539 minutes played - average of 1.6 shots per game with 0 goals and 2 assists - average of 1 successful dribbles per game

They seem to be setting the bar very high for 'successful dribbles'. Murphy sets off on a fair few occasions in most games I watch.

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
Purely from an attacking perspective, I'd fancy our chances scoring more often from a Skalak set-pice by finding the head of Dunk, Duffy, Murray or Goldson than Murphy creating something for himself or someone else. That's not to say that Murphy definitely won't, I just think there's more potential to score with Skalak on the pitch.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Just done some research on this season

Skalak - 670 minutes played - average of 0.4 shots per game with 0 goals and 1 assist - average of 0.7 successful dribbles per game

Murphy - 539 minutes played - average of 1.6 shots per game with 0 goals and 2 assists - average of 1 successful dribbles per game

find it hard to believe skalak only has 1 assist. free kick for murray header vs Barnsley. also won penalty at burton.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Depends on the opposition, as perviously mentioned, so there is no one correct answer. Both are good and it's nice to have options!
But for sake of the poll, my preference is to start with Skalak and have the option to bring on Murphy later to run at a tired defence.

Are you communicating with El Pres?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here