[Misc] Mundane celebrity encounters

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Harold Wilson once walked off with my biro after signing his autograph for me outside the Labour Conference circa 1969.
And they call us tories thieving b******s ???
Ooh, I can score highly here..

Stood in the next urinal to Jimmy Case at Shades, the same day that he scored the winning goal in the QF against Norwich

Stood next to David Suchet and Ronnie Corbett - but at separate events

Stood next to Chris Smith, the former arts minister at a theatre in Islington (where else?)

And in a grand slam of rugby encounters, I've stood next to JPR Williams, Scott Quinnell and Barry John
You either have a very weak bladder, or you spend an inordinate amount of time hanging around public lavatories:shrug:

Said morning young sir to Jack Charlton in a cafe in Blatchington Road late nineties...he replied with orl reet our kid
Stuart Storer running very late to pick his daughter up from school, told him he better run a bit quicker on the Saturday(Hereford). Not sure if he heard me, but seemed to work. Spoke to him a couple of times after that whilst waiting for our kids to be released.
Got asked to excuse his armpit from Steve Foster, as he stretched across to get his beer circa early 80's Hove pub

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Murray Goodwin put me into the recovery position after I had a seizure at a charity cricket match that he was playing in

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Once met Blue Peter presenter Peter Purves on a stairwell at a Fall gig in a gothick church in London town

Last edited:

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
*Sigh*
I'm now 63, and I honestly can't remember meeting anybody famous. Ever.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I saw the journalist Jeremy Hands staggering out of a Wessex 5 after it creamed in at Saros Bay Turkey. TBF, not as dramatic as it sounds but he did break his wrist.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
When I was about 14, went up to London with a few mates just to roam about, and whilst not looking where I was going because of dicking around with my mates literally bumped into a very tall man, I looked up and scowling down at me was Christopher Lee, he didn't say a word, but I very nearly shat my pants with the look he gave me.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I had a wee with Jeffery from Rainbow.

Mrs H had a cab door held open for her by Sir Paul McCartney.

My dad had tea with Sir Noel Coward.

papachris

When I was working as fruit n veg manager at Sainsbury's Nine Elms in the late 90's there often were well known people in shopping.
Tony Robinson and also Miriam Margolyes (both from blackadder) She was tiny.
Jack Straw when he was home secretary used to come in on Sunday's with some bodyguards. He always bought chicory. One time we were out of stock (embarrassing) I always kept some in stock after that!
The beautiful Joanna Lumley often shopped there with her husband.
Glenn Hoddle came to make an advert in the store when he was England manager. I think Sainsbury's were running a promotion on special coins for the world Cup.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
*Sigh*
I'm now 63, and I honestly can't remember meeting anybody famous. Ever.
You are not missing out on anything really, same mix of arseholes and nice people that you find generally with the population.

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
Evonne Goolagong Cawley at Stonehenge sometime in the 70's when on a school trip. She was shorter than most of the kids.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Multi story NCP car park London, top of the stairs went passed a bloke said hello, because I knew him, he said Hello Mate, two floors later I realised it was Brian May! Bumped into Sir Lawrence Olivier in Harrods literally, I was told by the wife who he was!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sir Derek Jacobi and Tim McInnerny were staying at the same hotel as us a couple of months ago......Jacobi was in the room literally opposite ours so we kept bumping into him. Only saw McInnerny at breakfast (he was always alone), and shuffling to and from the sunbeds with a book. God bless our hard-working actors :laugh: When we flew home Karren Brady and her husband were sat opposite us in the lounge.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Disappointing that. You'd think the self-confessed 'richest man on NSC' would be able to afford his own crisps.
How do you think he became so wealthy? It's all built on money not splashed out on savoury snacks!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Once in a lift in Churchill Square car park, I answered a stranger's question telling him that it did go straight to Debenhams. I recognised him as a decent stand up comedian that I'd seen on late night telly who was now in a sitcom. My kids, who were with me at the time, have since been post hoc impressed, that before they were even old enough to start enjoying Peep Show, they'd, very briefly, met Super Hans.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No toilet-based encounters, but:

Been in a lift with Russell Brand.
Followed Jonathan Ross down to his dressing room by accident at the 2006 Comedy Awards and he told me where to go (like, literally, not to fack off).
Saw Connor Goldson in a Heathrow business lounge.
Stood at a bar in Brighton with Bobby Zamora. Asked him to stay at the Albion; a few weeks later he moved to Spuds.
Walked up the steps into a hotel just before Rhianna was walking down (I wondered why there were so many paps around).
Met Ellie Simmons in late 2012 (she had her medals with her).
Was driven around Goodwood race circuit by David Coulthard (and, more recently, a car park by a young Swedish rally champion).
Watched Arsenal play Boro (I think) next to Jake Humphrey.
Played a couple of holes of golf with Lee Westwood and Retief Goosen.
Bumped into (not literally, thankfully) Iain Paisley (Snr) in Stuttgart Airport.
Was on a work trip with AJ from Strictly.
Used to chat with Gerry Armstrong when he worked in our school's tuck shop.
Served Burnside and Karron Eubank when I worked in Halfords.
Saw – and chatted to – Chris Hughton buying champagne in M&S before the Albion Christmas do.

There may be some more but they are possibly too mundane to even remember.

Edit: just remembered one. Lads holiday to Tenerife in 1996, Nigel Benn was DJing and my mate decided to chant 'Eubank, Eubank' at him. It didn't go down too well. On another trip abroad, we were in a VIP area of a club in Ibiza. Mr Tumble was in the one next to our one, much to the delight of the Palace supporter in our group. Think we gave him some Albion-related 'banter', too.
Reminds me that I was at school with Karron's brother and he and I had a job together after school walking an Alsatian called 'Randy' (because his pink nob popped out when he sat down, he belonged to some builders). Many was the time we'd go back to my mate's after the dog walk to see either Chris or Chris and Peter Eubank in the front room. Peter was more famous at the time, having just become the only man to beat Barry McGuigan.

I assume your Ibiza encounter was with Wilf and not the actual Mr Tumble. The actual one would probably have charged you for looking at him.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Around 2001-2 I went to a friend’s birthday bowling in Finsbury Park as part of a big group. We had both been part of a group volunteering abroad a year or two earlier and while we were away her boyfriend’s band had launched their first album. The band was Coldplay so obviously they were quite a bit more famous by this time. I knew she’d split up with the guy (one of the guitarists) and so when out a few days after her birthday I asked if she still kept in touch with any of them. “Yes you were bowling in the same team as them last week” was the reply. In my defence, Chris Martin wasn’t there, and would anyone recognise the other members of Coldplay?

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Sir Derek Jacobi and Tim McInnerny were staying at the same hotel as us a couple of months ago......Jacobi was in the room literally opposite ours so we kept bumping into him. Only saw McInnerny at breakfast (he was always alone), and shuffling to and from the sunbeds with a book. God bless our hard-working actors :laugh: When we flew home Karren Brady and her husband were sat opposite us in the lounge.
Paul Peschisolido.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports