Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Mundane celebrity encounters

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Cliff Richard asked me where the tins of tomatoes were when I worked in a supermarket. Hannah Gordon once also asked me if we had any single cream. It was a supermarket near quite a posh area. (Circa 1990)

Norman Cook asked me where the Pak Choi was when I worked at Sainsbury's in 2001

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
The shipping company I was using at the time had hospitality tickets at quite a few grounds. I got treated to hospitality at Charlton and sat next to Jimmy Hill for the game..what a nice fella....

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
At a golf tournament here a couple of years ago I was sat on the next table to two former Austrian international goalkeepers - Alex Manninger and Friedrich Koncilia (World Cup 82).

POSKETT AT THE VALLEY

Jan 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Way back on the way home from Tranmere in a league cup mid week game, I was at motorway services having a piss when Tony Currie, Steve Wicks and Tommy Docherty walked in. Round about the same era on the train back from West Brom I shared a carriage with Sir Alf Ramsey, Malcolm Allison and the bloke who played David Hunter from Crossroads.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Some years ago, when my lad was young enough to enjoy childrens' playgrounds, we were down at Hove Lagoon, and Paul McCartney held the gate open for us. He said 'you were here first, you come through'. A gentleman.

Altered State

Feb 19, 2008
Olney, Bucks
I had to break my stride when leaving a train at Euston because Tony Bloom was exiting the toilet in a hurry. I didn't say anything because, well, he was in a hurry.

My partner once - literally - bumped into Kenny Dalglish on a Glasgow street. She said he had a nice coat.

Griff Rhys Jones asked me for directions, and on another occasion Mel Smith was in the same queue as me when buying a train ticket.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Last season I was in the Eddy watching C*****a v Fulham with 3 other Cottagers. We were surrounded by fans of the sh*t team in SW6, including Kirk Brandon from Theatre Of Hate & Spear of Destiny. We exchanged looks as our table got louder and they all got quieter.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
Nearly 30 years ago I was working at the gym at the Houses of Parliament. One day I was in the changing rooms bagging up the dirty towels (it was such a glamorous job), when some chap decided to engage in conversation with me. As I started talking to this guy I realised it was Paddy Ashdown, I then realised that he was standing on the scales whilst he was talking to me and that he was stark bollock naked. I made sure I kept complete eye contact with him for the duration of the conversation.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
Nearly 30 years ago I was working at the gym at the Houses of Parliament. One day I was in the changing rooms bagging up the dirty towels (it was such a glamorous job), when some chap decided to engage in conversation with me. As I started talking to this guy I realised it was Paddy Ashdown, I then realised that he was standing on the scales whilst he was talking to me and that he was stark bollock naked. I made sure I kept complete eye contact with him for the duration of the conversation.
Living up to his nickname

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
I met David Gower in a NatWest in High Holborn in the 80s and said "hello David what are you doing here?" He was doing some bank promotion.
I was in a pub in Glencoe in the 90s, when I realised the man in the lurid sky blue tracksuit sitting right next to me was Jimmy Savile. Needless to say he was with a young person. I ignored him but overhearing his conversation you could tell he was dodgy as hell.
I also offered Morrissey a drink in the Edinburgh Castle in Camden in the 90s but he said no thanks. Then I realised the woman he was sitting with was Chrissie Hynde. I was in my games kit after a softball game in Regent's Park so didn't stop to chat further.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As this thread isn’t really “mundane” l’ll rise above my Phil Mitchell in a municipal swimming pool and mention the musicians I have spotted on planes: Morrissey (spent a lot of time complaining), Hot Chip, in addition to Hot Chip as a group I have also seen Alexis Taylor on his own twice) The Kooks (yeah, I know, but they were on the flight , two of the Sex Pistols (I sat behind Paul Cook), Pete Tong, the guv’nor himself the late great Andrew Weatherall, Artic Monkeys plus management and some crew (I got very drunk with these guys).
Ah you just reminded me.

At Latitude Festival 2008. Sigur Ros were playing. Me and my friends were enjoying them, but there were some chavs (I don't particularly like the phrase, but to give you an idea of what was happening) nearby taking the piss out of Jonsi’s high voice and generally being annoying and well not what you expect in a Sigur Ros crowd.

The "chavs" turned out to be the Arctic Monkeys.

Last edited:

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
In 1993 I was in the check in queue at Gatwick ahead of a flight to Belgium. Two people ahead of me was Gloria Hunniford.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Oh Yes, last year I was in a London Museum and was climbing the stairs, Hugh Dennis was coming down.

We gave each other a smile but I never said a word about the Now Show, actually didn't say anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here