Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Mulled Cider - Boring old man thread

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not so sure about Think they moved some time ago
pretty sure the old site is houses now
Oh yeh my mate lives there 🤣 but hasn’t noticed it was gone and prob passed it about 100 times since those new houses went in 6 years or so ago 🤦🏻‍♂️

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Oh yeh my mate lives there 🤣 but hasn’t noticed it was gone and prob passed it about 100 times since those new houses went in 6 years or so ago 🤦🏻‍♂️
If you want a still cider that you can get in Tescos try the box of organic Henry Weston’s
They also supply Morrisons own brand boxed cider if you have one of those near by

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I can only say if you're going to do something like that, do it properly which is basically ditch the sachet (I know nothing about cider). No point buying decent cider if you're going to put a crap sachet in it. I can't drink red wine (taste), but with the right recipe & good ingredients I 'really' love mulled wine. I've no idea of the recipe for mulled cider but for mulled wine you have to use 'actual' cinnamon sticks and cloves stabbed into an orange etc. If you use a sachet for mulled wine you may as well have bought a 'ready made' bottle.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
In 1946 my paternal grandmother's 2nd husband was approached to join the founders of Merrydown due to his experience as a brewer, he turned them down because he preferred ale.

He told me about this many, many times and how rich he could have been.

He was a bitter man.

Despite the 'dad joke' punchline this is largely true.

Merrydown was founded after WW2, partially funded with demobilisation grants ... (or whatever they were called).

In discussions about what are you going to do when we get home 'Uncle' Geoff said he'd probably go back to brewing. At least one of the chaps he was with was one of the Merrydown founders.

Geoff was asked to get involved but declined and moved back to the Midlands where he became a sports journalist and cricket coach.

In the early 80s when I was about 10 he gave me a signed Steve Heighway shirt and told me that you could be good at sport as well as good at book stuff.

Unfortunately he also told me that I should support Liverpool rather than Brighton so we had a small falling out and I never really engaged with him again.

When he died a few years later my Grandmother told me how happy he was that I loved cricket, had stuck with Brighton like a proper fan and studied hard.

At his funeral there were some of the people who served with him. I spent more time talking to them that day than I had him in the previous 5 years.

He was quite bitter though.

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
I love mulled cider. Definitely use flat and proper spices including the orange with cloves as previously mentioned. Waiting for Christmas markets to open now, the cider is the best part !

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
In an ideal world go to middle farm, they'll also give you a free recipe card which is excellent. If not, you can make it with canned or fizzy cider you just need to add less sugar to start off with and then add more later if it needs it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here