Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Mulled Cider - Boring old man thread

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sorry lame thread but need some guidance.

Had some of this the other day and was very nice. Want to do some tomorrow - and have bought the Schwartz spice mix to make it easy.

My question is it says to get a ‘dry cider’ in all the recipes. Says to get one that’s a bit acidic. So guessing not to go full on fizzy one and go for something still? Or can you do it with fizzy cider…?! I’m confused and have never boiled fizzy things so don’t know if it’ll make it flatter…!

Alternatively if anyone has any other tips on mulled cider seeing as Xmas is coming please share.

What a beardy thread 🤣

Thanks

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've become a convert to mulled cider since moving to Canada. The difference here is the cider you buy for it is not alcoholic and it's basically a cloudy apple juice. I think this works better than the alcoholic cider to heat up and add mulling spices to. Then you just mix it with the spirit of your choice to serve (bourbon is my preference).

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
After a couple of glasses you won't notice (or care).

Add calvados for a good kick.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'd suggest a trip to Middle Farm at Firle, get real cider ie, not fizzy pop Strongbow..

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'd suggest a trip to Middle Farm at Firle, get real cider ie, not fizzy pop Strongbow..
Yes I did think this but time against me tomo and realistically it’s Tesco or nowhere…! Just curious as to whether a fizzy dry cider could still work or whether I should go for the still organic stuff… advice I’ve found like this, doesn’t seem clear…?

Full-bodied, dry and cloudy ciders that thins out when heated, are often a popular choice to mull.

A sweet cider with a strong apple flavour is preferable, but it's also important that there's a hint of acidity to cut through the syrupy richness that too sweet a cider can result in.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Brandy (or calvados) is your friend when mulling cider or wine ;). Nigella has some great recipes.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes I did think this but time against me tomo and realistically it’s Tesco or nowhere…! Just curious as to whether a fizzy dry cider could still work or whether I should go for the still organic stuff… advice I’ve found like this, doesn’t seem clear…?

Full-bodied, dry and cloudy ciders that thins out when heated, are often a popular choice to mull.

A sweet cider with a strong apple flavour is preferable, but it's also important that there's a hint of acidity to cut through the syrupy richness that too sweet a cider can result in.
You can probably use canned cider but, I'm sure it would be better to use genuine still cider rather than fizzypop.if time us against you maybe try Mulled Wine? You should be able to get a decent bottle of red at least ?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You can probably use canned cider but, I'm sure it would be better to use genuine still cider rather than fizzypop.if time us against you maybe try Mulled Wine? You should be able to get a decent bottle of red at least ?
Thanks matey - you know what I may experiment tomorrow - and come on here to try and write some reviews 🤣

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Try mulled wine and mulled cider.

If you need any help in drinking it, I guess I could help if you twist my arm
Yeh I love mulled wine but have never made the cider - you can cheat easier with the wine one it seems!

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’ve never done mulled cider but I do like a dry-ish cider (on its own). Personally love Aspall’s. It sounds like that should work (and reasonably easy to find - they do it in my local Tesco).

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That looks interesting. Permission to derail the thread into nice dry ciders please sir!
They’re in Horam - have been there all my life - think you can just rock up and buy it there too…!

Molango's visa

Molango's visa
Sep 7, 2007
London, UK
Sorry lame thread but need some guidance.

Had some of this the other day and was very nice. Want to do some tomorrow - and have bought the Schwartz spice mix to make it easy.

My question is it says to get a ‘dry cider’ in all the recipes. Says to get one that’s a bit acidic. So guessing not to go full on fizzy one and go for something still? Or can you do it with fizzy cider…?! I’m confused and have never boiled fizzy things so don’t know if it’ll make it flatter…!

Alternatively if anyone has any other tips on mulled cider seeing as Xmas is coming please share.

What a beardy thread 🤣

Thanks
Dryness and fuzziness are different thing. Sugar versus bubbles. Warm cider needs flat cider. Sweetness is your added preference. And, welcome to old man country. May I recommend a pipe?

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
I've become a convert to mulled cider since moving to Canada. The difference here is the cider you buy for it is not alcoholic and it's basically a cloudy apple juice. I think this works better than the alcoholic cider to heat up and add mulling spices to. Then you just mix it with the spirit of your choice to serve (bourbon is my preference).
I very much like it with a spiced rum.

The Cauldron in Brighton just round fro Churchill Square did one with copious amounts of rum a few years ago which was delicious.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

Other ciders are available.
In 1946 my paternal grandmother's 2nd husband was approached to join the founders of Merrydown due to his experience as a brewer, he turned them down because he preferred ale.

He told me about this many, many times and how rich he could have been.

He was a bitter man.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
They've got a good selection, if a bit on the pricey side. A friend of mine, Denis Gwatkin has been Champion Cidermaker of Britain twice, and I know they used to pick up from him on a regular basis. If you want a dry cider, Kingston Black is the one I'd go for. a good medium-dry would be Yarlington Mill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here