Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Mr Cummings and the COVID inquiry.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
However there was a huge amount of government basic common sense missing in real time. Superspreader events like the Cheltenham Festival and the Liverpool Champions League match v Atletico Madrid at Anfield (both in March) should never have gone ahead.
Even my dog knew these events going ahead was stupid. She also raised significant concerns about eat out and the Christmas omnishambles too.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yep Harry Hindsight is leading this enquiry. Mistakes were clearly made but I don't doubt those making the decisions made them with the best of intentions based on what they knew at the time.
I agree, but were those making decisions suitably qualified to be making them? Did they get the best advice and act on it in a timely manner? All questions that will hopefully be answered by the end of this process.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
That is clearly the case. However there was a huge amount of government basic common sense missing in real time. Superspreader events like the Cheltenham Festival and the Liverpool Champions League match v Atletico Madrid at Anfield (both in March) should never have gone ahead. And allowing up to twenty flights a day to arrive from covjd-besieged Northern Italy into London alone, with passengers being disgorged into the UK's public transport system without any form of restriction or testing was clearly crazy, bordering on criminal negligence. These were all discussed on here in real time. Didn't need to be led by the science to come to the conclusion that there was some serious stupidity taking place at the heart of government

We've had some of the Scientific advisers coming out saying the advice was for them to go ahead at the time and shutting the boarders made no difference, the sage minutes said the same from back then.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This inquiry has been designed to reveal nothing and protect those in power. The real questions aren't being asked and it's (another) total waste of taxpayers money.
on the contrary, from what i've watched and read it's delving into excruciating detail, who said what, when, why, what did they know, did others agree, why not... this morning there was a distraction about bad language used by some officials. they dont need to ask many questions, the evidence is already submitted, the faults known yet the navel gazing is due to go on over a year more, then years for the actual report to come out. meanwhile there's no improvements for process or policy, no new powers, legislation that might help manage a reoccurance. :rolleyes:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We've had some of the Scientific advisers coming out saying the advice was for them to go ahead at the time and shutting the boarders made no difference, the sage minutes said the same from back then.
Just makes you despair at the complete and utter lack of basic common sense in play at the time then :shrug:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Yep Harry Hindsight is leading this enquiry. Mistakes were clearly made but I don't doubt those making the decisions made them with the best of intentions based on what they knew at the time.
Yeah like missing all those cobra meetings because his book advance was in danger.

Still amazes me he was as popular as he was in the early days of pandemic, he was responsible for ten of thousands of unnecessary deaths. My own family lives with the legacy of his chaotic governance

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yeah like missing all those sage meetings because his book advance was in danger.

Still amazes me he was as popular as he was in the early days of pandemic, he was responsible for ten of thousands of unnecessary deaths. My own family lives with the legacy of his chaotic governance
Which unnecessary deaths are you talking about?

I assume the covid ones and not the thousands now dying because the NHS was shut down ? Those deaths don't seem to matter.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Waste of tax payers money. Hopefully this virus was a one off and only point of this is to learn in case we have something similar again.
No enquiry in Germany. There was uproar there because we did so well in getting the vacination out well before them and media thought they should have been able to do the same.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Excuse my lack of timelines and I may have got the dates completely wrong but it's things like in (if i remember correctly) January 2021 when kids were due back to school in a matter of days. EVERYTHING statistically showed the virus was on the rise and a lockdown was going to happen. Yet there he was, saying "schools will re-open as planned" as if it was defeatest to dare acknowledge the science. I remember sitting there with my wife who is a teacher and saying "this is madness. You will be in school 1 or 2 days before they shut it down again".

She went to school....and they locked down again after a couple of days.

I'm not a scientist, I wasn't talking to scientists, I can be monumentally THICK sometimes. Yet if I can see it from the sofa whilst I eat a Chicken Kiev then it terrifies me that those in charge, with all the info, couldn't or refused to.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
on the contrary, from what i've watched and read it's delving into excruciating detail, who said what, when, why, what did they know, did others agree, why not... this morning there was a distraction about bad language used by some officials. they dont need to ask many questions, the evidence is already submitted, the faults known yet the navel gazing is due to go on over a year more, then years for the actual report to come out. meanwhile there's no improvements for process or policy, no new powers, legislation that might help manage a reoccurance. :rolleyes:
Agree.

Johnson being grilled on who makes the decisions, him or the advisors, and how the process works. Johnson likened the advisors to being like doctors, and him the patient, either taking the doctors advice or.....then he stumbled and said 'do the other'. He clearly decided to do the other, and seems to think that talking very slowly and bumbling with a dolorous tone will be sufficient for him.

Perhaps he's right.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Waste of tax payers money. Hopefully this virus was a one off and only point of this is to learn in case we have something similar again.
No enquiry in Germany. There was uproar there because we did so well in getting the vacination out well before them and media thought they should have been able to do the same.
No. That's because they weren't being governed by a bunch of dick heads.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Excuse my lack of timelines and I may have got the dates completely wrong but it's things like in (if i remember correctly) January 2021 when kids were due back to school in a matter of days. EVERYTHING statistically showed the virus was on the rise and a lockdown was going to happen. Yet there he was, saying "schools will re-open as planned" as if it was defeatest to dare acknowledge the science. I remember sitting there with my wife who is a teacher and saying "this is madness. You will be in school 1 or 2 days before they shut it down again".

She went to school....and they locked down again after a couple of days.

I'm not a scientist, I wasn't talking to scientists, I can be monumentally THICK sometimes. Yet if I can see it from the sofa whilst I eat a Chicken Kiev then it terrifies me that those in charge, with all the info, couldn't or refused to.
It was one day wasn't it? f***ing idiotic and literally everyone could see what was about to happen.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Tea break.
That is clearly the case. However there was a huge amount of government basic common sense missing in real time. Superspreader events like the Cheltenham Festival and the Liverpool Champions League match v Atletico Madrid at Anfield (both in March) should never have gone ahead. And allowing up to twenty flights a day to arrive from covjd-besieged Northern Italy into London alone, with passengers being disgorged into the UK's public transport system without any form of restriction or testing was clearly crazy, bordering on criminal negligence. These were all discussed on here in real time. Didn't need to be led by the science to come to the conclusion that there was some serious stupidity taking place at the heart of government

Just in case anyone missed it or forgot, Dido Harding was on the board of the Jockey Club at the time (still is) and the Cheltenham Festival is their single biggest revenue generator.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Agree.

Johnson being grilled on who makes the decisions, him or the advisors, and how the process works. Johnson likened the advisors to being like doctors, and him the patient, either taking the doctors advice or.....then he stumbled and said 'do the other'. He clearly decided to do the other, and seems to think that talking very slowly and bumbling with a dolorous tone will be sufficient for him.

Perhaps he's right.
This is typical of what he has been saying….

“My memory of that account is slightly different or maybe it’s just the same..” BJ

Bumbling baffoon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here