Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Mr Cummings and the COVID inquiry.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You need to read what he actually wrote and what I took issue with. It was not about what Johnson's government did or did not do, and you could well be right about Boris. But the poster arrogantly dismisses millions of his fellow citizens as being thick simply for having an opposing view - that is the issue, if you really want to see it, that is.

This whole thread is about the evidence coming out of the COVID enquiry (the clue is in the title) and what has been revealed over the last two days of the operation of the Government under Johnson and Cummings and the utter contempt with which they treated their supporters/voters/victims.

Within the context of many posts about that subject, this was posted over 12 hours and a couple of pages ago
I know. Doesn't matter how cruel, corrupt or incompetent the Tories are, there are still millions of my fellow citizens who'll say "Yeah, but Labour would be worse" or "Yeah, but all politicians are the same, so better the devil you know."

I genuinely think that a lot of Tory voters - many of them are elderly or/and uneducated - are similar to Trump's brain-dead worshippers in the US; no amount of wickedness or malevolence will make them change their minds. They will simply dismiss all criticism and evidence of wrong-doing as 'Fake News' or a 'liberal witch-hunt' against their hero.

Maybe not the words I would use but he is not dismissing them as being 'thick' because they disagree with him, it's because they dismiss all evidence which doesn't support their pre decided 'view'.

I'm really not sure what you are trying to achieve by taking this out of that context and going off at a tangent from the thread topic :shrug:

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Is it really any surprise (from today's Covid enquiry) that Johnson was unable to understand the simplest of scientific concepts or handle any sort of figures or statistics ?

Who really thought this idiot and waste of an expensive education was the person to lead Britain. Really :shrug:

And maybe the title should be changed to 'The COVID enquiry' as it's hardly started yet ???

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
1700518127679.gif

:moo:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Is it really any surprise (from today's Covid enquiry) that Johnson was unable to understand the simplest of scientific concepts or handle any sort of figures or statistics ?

Who really thought this idiot and waste of an expensive education was the person to lead Britain. Really :shrug:

And maybe the title should be changed to 'The COVID enquiry' as it's hardly started yet ???
Well. 14 million people did think Johnson was the person to lead Britain. And if I'm honest they are the ones I hold to blame.

Johnson never once tried to hide his recklessness and stupidity.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

As I've said time and time again, he was more interested in having the title of Prime Minister than actually BEING the Prime Minister.

It was a disaster waiting to happen - and yet so many people STILL think he's amazing!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Well. 14 million people did think Johnson was the person to lead Britain. And if I'm honest they are the ones I hold to blame.

Johnson never once tried to hide his recklessness and stupidity.
I don’t ever remember Johnson trumpeting his recklessness and stupidity. He was just a “good campaigner”, and rubbish at the job.

He did tell a lot of lies about Brexit, and then in his General Election campaign, and then throughout the COVID situation where, to be fair, he obviously didn’t have the first idea about what was going on.

He’s a narcissist, convinced of his own infallibility, never thinking that anybody could doubt his competence. He was talking about going for 10 years at number ten when the vultures were probably already circling.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
As I've said time and time again, he was more interested in having the title of Prime Minister than actually BEING the Prime Minister.

It was a disaster waiting to happen - and yet so many people STILL think he's amazing!
I guess most of those many people are lucky to still be alive - if J and C had it their way lots of them might not be here.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Prof Sir Chris 'next slide please' Whitty now giving evidence.

Somewhat different atmosphere to Cummings.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Today’s the day

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Hopefully, yes. And hopefully heard by BJ. Tho from what seemed to happening off-camera, he got chucked out for refusing to sit down
a group were stood at the back, holding paper showing some message (poss the "dead cant hear").

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
watching, there's a good deal of aftertiming. questions are framed with knowledge we have now, as if they were known at the time in Jan and Feb, when it was much more vague and speculative at that time.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
watching, there's a good deal of aftertiming. questions are framed with knowledge we have now, as if they were known at the time in Jan and Feb, when it was much more vague and speculative at that time.
That is clearly the case. However there was a huge amount of government basic common sense missing in real time. Superspreader events like the Cheltenham Festival and the Liverpool Champions League match v Atletico Madrid at Anfield (both in March) should never have gone ahead. And allowing up to twenty flights a day to arrive from covjd-besieged Northern Italy into London alone, with passengers being disgorged into the UK's public transport system without any form of restriction or testing was clearly crazy, bordering on criminal negligence. These were all discussed on here in real time. Didn't need to be led by the science to come to the conclusion that there was some serious stupidity taking place at the heart of government

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Yep Harry Hindsight is leading this enquiry. Mistakes were clearly made but I don't doubt those making the decisions made them with the best of intentions based on what they knew at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here