Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving to Eastbourne - advice needed

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
avoid langney/shinewater/willingdon trees, maybe look out for meads/old town as desired areas. town centre is half decent and half awful - avoid particularly the langney road and pevensey road areas (unless you love crack, cheap lager and being harassed) but around upperton is very nice - large victorian conversions, loads of room, nice parks around as well.
eastbourne can be a pricey place to live but is bloody lovely, especially in the summer!

Pretty similar what a ex flatmate of mine said that lives in Eastbourne after moving from Crawley 3 years ago. He loves it there.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
It's really just Old Town, but the Paradise Drive end, don't think there is a name for it.
I though it had got a posh name. Never mind. I still think it's a right nice part of town, and if I had the money I'd probably move there. You're within spitting distance of the SDW there as well, so brilliant for walks after a hearty sunday roast sound round the dining table infront of an open fire (with little Timmy throwing away his crutches).

Sorry but thre is no nice area of Croxden Way. both ends of that road is pretty much the boundary that seperates the good from the bad areas!

Complete tosh - from someone who lived there for 20 years. The middle part is all privately owned and very peaceful. Talk about give a dog a bad name. I wouldn't recommend someone move there the same as I wouldn't recommend Shinewater/Kingsmere. But there are normally just bad areas in such places. Unless you have local knowledge, avoid. But my mum has had no roaming gangs/burglary/vandalism or problems of any sort in 30 years apart from a few month spell where a local gang caused chaos all over Hampden Park and that was 10 years or so ago.

Last edited:

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Complete tosh - from someone who lived there for 20 years. The middle part is all privately owned and very peaceful. Talk about give a dog a bad name. I wouldn't recommend someone move there the same as I wouldn't recommend Shinewater/Kingsmere. But there are normally just bad areas in such places. Unless you have local knowledge, avoid. But my mum has had no roaming gangs/burglary/vandalism or problems of any sort in 30 years apart from a few month spell where a local gang caused chaos all over Hampden Park and that was 10 years or so ago.

Ok, so the middle is safe and peaceful. Remind me how i'd walk home from the pub without walking through a shithole and come to think of it, what nice pub there is locally?

merlino

Apr 5, 2010
Stone cross

Hi everyone :smile:, new to the forum

I know this is an old thread but does anyone know about stone cross,
as an area to move to.

regards merlino

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
i really like the stone cross area, one of the better parts of eastbourne, imo.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
i really like the stone cross area, one of the better parts of eastbourne, imo.

Yes, yes it is. Langney isnt at all as bad as what it was. Shinewater is quite obviously a no go, but if you are private owners you wouldnt move there anyway. Langney has some decent areas, Priory road end (though mainly bungalows), Pennine Way is quite respectable, Stone Cross however is fairly new and as you would expect free of most forms of riff raff.
The harbour is the most desireable place to live, though very snobby.

marina.jpg

sovereign-harbour.jpg

Stone Cross is definatley worth a look.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Having not lived in Eastbourne / Willingdon and Willingdon Trees for 10 years or so...since my old Mum died...this has got me feeling very nostalgic.

certainly will be taking my 3 and a half year old daughter down to have a look around this summer.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
OK - it was a generalisation but no different than people generalising Willingdon Trees for example - that was originally split into three areas - council, North British Housing and private - the private part is full of nice bungalows with nice retired people. Or Shinewater - there are some very nice new build houses away from Milfoil Drive. My sister lives in a very nice area of Langney Point which is about 3 stones throws from Kingsmere.

Estate agents go to great lengths around here to market houses as North Hailsham as I'm sure they market some houses as Langney Point rather than near Kingsmere. No area is black and white, so to speak. We can only generalise. I'm just happy to be a mile away from Hailsham Town Centre with its gangs of roaming chavs. I'm happy my mum is in a nice part of Croxden Way and not the chavvy end - she has lived in the seemingly demonised Willingdon Trees for 30 years and is more than happy there. Whereas we lived in a new build estate in Hastings for 2 years and had no end of problems - despite the fact that 90% of the houses were 4-5 bedroom detatched and it was seemingly 'nice' area.

And to say just east of Mill Road isn't right. Diplocks has just as bad a reputation as Town Farm. As you say, there are some very nice areas in the southern extremities. It is very hard to give a summary without listing loads of road names.

I grew up in the Estate opposite Town Farm (Butts) off Mill Road. I'm not going to get all defensive, it was / is rough but not as bad as Town Farm or Diplocks. Hailsham is a strange place, in one sense a market town surrounded by countryside in easy reach of Hastings, Eastbourne and Brighton, in another sense a dodgy hellhole with one of the worst chav reps in the UK. We were using the word "chav" back in the late 70's, early 80's - but in reference to the local pikey population (of which there were / are many). I would not say Hailsham is any worse than the Shinewater or Hampden Park and Battle Road School had a good academic rep when I was there, not sure what it is like now.
I would not walk through TF or Diplocks at night, but thats no different than most towns.
..................and Eastbourne is full of gayers that used to run from Hailsham every Friday night down at Dixies!

merlino

Apr 5, 2010
Thanks for all your replies up to now, I do like the sovereign harbor area but
the fact that its its on a flood plain would be a problem.

merlino

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
blimey, 20 month on and it looks like i might actually be moving to Polegate soon. one short train away from Falmer :clap2:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'd avoid Soveraign harbour. It's nice but there's a lot of DSS lets there and you could end up next to some right scumbag.
The nice bits are East of the railway line and south of Sainsburys.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here