Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving to Eastbourne - advice needed

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Married with a little boy, looking to buy - coming down from London so budget will be reasonable!

If she's got 170-200k i'd suggest a bungalow in Polegate or one of the Victorian places in Old Town or off Seaside (Bexhill Road, Wannock Road, etc, etc). Some of the roads will be crap but you'll be able to tell that just by looking at them!

If she's got 200-280k suggest Willingdon (not Willingdon Trees) or one of the bigger houses in Old Town like on Victoria Drive or Baldwin Avenue.

More than that and she might want to look at the better parts of these areas or Meads. Could also get a Townhouse at the North or South Harbour although I rent there and feel their a bit badly built so wouldn't but one myself.

Good luck and i'd suggest if you want to pm or post on here any roads she's looking at i'm sure you'll get some good advice!

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Could also get a Townhouse at the North or South Harbour although I rent there and feel their a bit badly built so wouldn't but one myself.

I live in the South Harbour, and there's nothing wrong with my house?!

My choices if you were choosing to move down would be the North Harbour (really beautiful places there), or the Old Town.

Mar 10, 2006
My advice is don't - the town has really gone down hill in recent years. Makes me laugh people saying go to Old Town - that has plenty of trouble spots even in the better parts as the local youths are real scumbags.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I live in West Hampden Park - its quiet but not too far from town and has good local schools nearby.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
My advice is don't - the town has really gone down hill in recent years. Makes me laugh people saying go to Old Town - that has plenty of trouble spots even in the better parts as the local youths are real scumbags.

It's a darn sight better than Brighton that's for sure. Brighton is dirty and full of scumbag students, and there is far too many people there.

As for the local youths - there aren't half as many run-down areas as there are in most other sussex towns. I moved over in Feb last year, and I've never been happier living where I live.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
It's a darn sight better than Brighton that's for sure. Brighton is dirty and full of scumbag students, and there is far too many people there.

As for the local youths - there aren't half as many run-down areas as there are in most other sussex towns. I moved over in Feb last year, and I've never been happier living where I live.
did you move there from brighton ?

Oct 7, 2006
Eastbourne
old town, willingdon, upperton, meads, harbour, polegate are all alright.

Dont move to Crimewater (Shinewater) or the Kingsmere estate near asda. Only suitable if you have a pram, wear hoops and a lot of lonsdale.

Avoid the town around pevensey road and lagney road, a complete shit pit.

In fairness the majority of the town is ok, just certain places which need to be avoided

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
what constitutes west hampden park?
i used to live in pulborough avenue and that was ok.

Willingdon Park Drive/Meadowlands Avenue/Woodland Avenue area - not Broderick Road!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'd advise her to move to Seaford.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I live in the South Harbour, and there's nothing wrong with my house?!

My choices if you were choosing to move down would be the North Harbour (really beautiful places there), or the Old Town.
We were buying a house in St Kitts Drive back in 2003 as the house prices in Brighton had rocketed over the previous 6 months. Pulled out of the purchase when our solicitor found out rights of way and access to the property from the street were meaningless as the road wasn't adopted and the necessary paperwork from the council was more or less a gentlemans agreement between them and the original developer.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My sister lives on the left hand side of Maywood Avenue which she considers as Hampden Park. She gets quite upset when I say that she really lives in Willingdon Trees :shrug:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Just avoid central and southern Hailsham like the plague - it is the same as Kingsmere/Shinewater/Whitehawk/Moss Side!

south? surely you mean the east off Mill Road, the south of Hailsham is professionals and retired, a long way from those other places you mention.

If she's got 200-280k suggest...
Brighton surely for the top end of that. or even the middle of that range.

ive been looking at Eastbourne as a route back to Sussex and glad to see the same areas cropping up i thought where good. Hampden park is a funny beast, i have two cousins who live there and think its fine, but when i had a scout round it just didnt wash with me, failed the car test quite badly. then again, as pointed out the west side improves the nearer you get to willingdon. the term "wrong side of the tracks" is very appropriate. Have to say Polegate comes up as a nice alternative if travel to London is important (as it would be for me). I recall theres supposed to be a massive improvment to the line soon, and the journey time should be cut considerably. Be wary of the whole area around Lottbridge/Princes Rd as its all marshland and one storm surge away from flooding.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
They have been talking for years about upgrading the train line to London. If this ever happens and the journey times are cut making them comparable to commuting to London from Brighton then expect house prices to rise rapidly.

south? surely you mean the east off Mill Road, the south of Hailsham is professionals and retired, a long way from those other places you mention.

OK - it was a generalisation but no different than people generalising Willingdon Trees for example - that was originally split into three areas - council, North British Housing and private - the private part is full of nice bungalows with nice retired people. Or Shinewater - there are some very nice new build houses away from Milfoil Drive. My sister lives in a very nice area of Langney Point which is about 3 stones throws from Kingsmere.

Estate agents go to great lengths around here to market houses as North Hailsham as I'm sure they market some houses as Langney Point rather than near Kingsmere. No area is black and white, so to speak. We can only generalise. I'm just happy to be a mile away from Hailsham Town Centre with its gangs of roaming chavs. I'm happy my mum is in a nice part of Croxden Way and not the chavvy end - she has lived in the seemingly demonised Willingdon Trees for 30 years and is more than happy there. Whereas we lived in a new build estate in Hastings for 2 years and had no end of problems - despite the fact that 90% of the houses were 4-5 bedroom detatched and it was seemingly 'nice' area.

And to say just east of Mill Road isn't right. Diplocks has just as bad a reputation as Town Farm. As you say, there are some very nice areas in the southern extremities. It is very hard to give a summary without listing loads of road names.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here