Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving to Eastbourne, advice needed pls!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've lived here for 22 years (apart from a 3 year hiatus in Devon).
It's a peaceful place overall, unless you're offered a flat in Shinewater or parts of Hampden Park, then go for it.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It's a peaceful place overall, unless you're offered a flat in Shinewater or parts of Hampden Park, then go for it.

Shinewater sounds such a nice place, I know nothing about it though.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Great airshow good Beech area also international tennis Competition pier Congress theatre close to the downs train service to Brighton and London all places have good and bad areas.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

...or Ceylon place or Pevensey Road.

Actually, the latter is much better than it was in the 90's, it was a real dog hole then but looks a lot better now.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
I would say it really depends on what you do for a living and what part of Ireland you are in now. It's a coastal town, and every area has it's problems. It's not anywhere near as bad as some parts of Liverpool, Dublin or London.

When I moved to Brighton and heard it had his rough parts but it was nothing like I was used to.

As for the salary, a grand a month for bills, foods and entertainment should easily be enough. Again, depending where you live in Ireland, the prices aren't vastly different.

If I was you I'd have a good look around the area when you come to meet them.

Giant Seagull

That was textbook
Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Eastbourne's suffered, like a lot of places, from losing a lot of the employers you used to find in a town that size. Now the options are dominated by retail and healthcare and average wages are pretty low. That's had a knock-on effect on the kind of shops, pubs, restaurants etc that are on offer. And because the train to London isn't particularly attractive to commuters, Eastbourne doesn't benefit from that crowd either.

That said, it's got some very nice natural amenities in the form of the seafront and countryside, most of the schools are OK, and if you want to shop in places like Debenhams/M&S/Next etc the town centre is nice and compact and will be improved by the redeveloped Arndale. Culturally you have the Towner gallery, three theatres (admittedly with a rather dated programme) and events like Airbourne, the ladies' tennis tournament etc to add a bit of interest.

It's my home town so my opinion is coloured by all kinds of emotional factors (though I no longer live there). It's a low-key, mostly friendly place that has taken a conscious decision not to be like Brighton or Hastings - which is sometimes a good thing but sometimes a missed opportunity. I wish it had a few restaurants that were as good as the better ones in Brighton, more of the independent shops you get in Lewes, some of the culture you find at the De La Warr in Bexhill and some of the investment that's gone into Hastings. But ultimately Eastbourne has always been a bit single-minded - in the past that was partly down to snobbery but these days I worry that there just aren't enough people there with good ideas. Or at least ideas that will work in a town with such low disposable income.

Excellent post, pretty much sums it up. Its my home town too and the general rule is Eastbourne is that west is best. Anywhere west of the pier.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Excellent post, pretty much sums it up. Its my home town too and the general rule is Eastbourne is that west is best. Anywhere west of the pier.

Yeah, cause somewhere like Lascelles Terrace is so much nicer than the Marina :laugh:

I'd even rather live in an Austin Marina than that area

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Although I moved away from Eastbourne nearly 30 years ago, I still consider it to be one of the best, if not the best, places to live on the Sussex south coast though I exclude 'cities' !

It is a beautiful town with a fantastic seafront and as the South Downs end at Beachy Head has the added benefit of not being flat and uninteresting. It has a more than reasonable town centre and has decent parks and open spaces so there is not much to dislike about it. Yes it was God's waiting room then, that because it had many attractions for those with time on their hands and indeed, as I now qualify, I wouldn't mind going back to EB.

zara23

Sep 14, 2015
Thank you so much everyone, this is really fantastic feedback on the area. I've been trying to research this area for almost 2 weeks but every article is outdated and got zip replies on another forum! I learned more on here than anywhere else, appreciate all of the replies. I'm making a list from all the recommendations on areas so I'm well prepared for the meeting. Special thanks to Monkey Man, great post and really informative. Keep it coming if anyone has anything else to add!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I lived in Southern road for 6 months in 1999. No problems what so ever. In fact, surprisingly I was quite happy there.

yeah but a fella can get his head down anywhere Bladders

I lived in Langney Road in the early 90's,couldn't park got burgled,but my god it was handy for the nightclubs

I got the impression the original post by the OP suggested that she was a single parent with a 9 year old daughter

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I'm inclined to say 'take it' it's a great place to live. And a wonderful place to bring up your daughter. Living in Eastbourne you would never imagine why those without anything constructive to say, would bang on about old people. It's nonsense!
The less appealing places to live in E/B aren't terrible, but of course like any town there are premium places to reside.
I doubt your new prospective employers wouldn't want to find you somewhere nice to live. After all they are investing in you, and wouldn't be prepared to do so if you didn't like the place......and left in a short time.
It's a good town, probably not far from anything you'd want to visit, good schools, decent restaurants, and places of interest. Not to mention Shoe Shops! :lolol:
As suggested by a previous poster, ask where your flat is situated. Pop it on here, and we will 'mostly' give you our honest opinions. This might also give you time to consider at your meeting asking for more amenable location.
Good Luck

Dont forget to enquire whether the job comes with the statuatory 'Seagulls Season Ticket' ! :ascarf:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here