Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving to Eastbourne, advice needed pls!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Surely you could live anywhere in the UK on £18,000 if you don't have to pay rent?! But I guess it depends what you're used to.

wallington seagull

Sep 8, 2003
I have just moved to Willingdon just outside Eastbourne and love it. Lovely views of the South Downs and 10 - 15 mins in the car to the seafront.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Nope! I'm living in Ireland at the moment- originally from Liverpool but parents moved me here when I was 13. 28 now and was laid off in June- absolutely no work going here so sent some CV's out and Eastbourne came in with an offer
Although I'm originally from Eastbourne, I lived for 14 years in Liverpool. Eastbourne has NO scary areas in comparison in due respect. There are always less desirable areas in every large town. Don't worry about thugs, unless you are extremely unlucky you won't have problems, people down here tend to be quieter than city folk. Eastbourne is a great place to live and has been very good for my two boys. Even some traditionally troublesome areas such as Langney, have very good newer estates. I live in Roselands which is a traditional suburb with mostly 3 bedroom semis. It's a good area with reasonable prices too.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
That's what I was thinking too. So from my research, it's a decent offer in say, Old Town, Lagney Point and Meads but not so good in Shinewater?

we live on Langney point, windy,sunny and very exceptable and close to almost everything, lots of older people are holiday makers,
having said that we are both older but not so many as say Worthing.
we rent a bungalow and its just over £800 a month, Oh! and a great bus service:thumbsup:

grumpyoldgit

Mar 29, 2012
Go for it, I moved from Brighton to Eastbourne 23yrs ago and love it here and as glasfryn says an awful lot of pensioners are on holiday here.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
What Eastbourne "I don't bloody believe it" One foot in the Grave! :facepalm:
You been there lately?? With the new harbour development and new estates Eastbourne's average age is a lot lower now than the 70's and 80's . Not gods waiting room anymore, they are long gone

billpotter72

Mar 24, 2015
Been in Eastbourne for most of my life always worked out of town as the wages are as a rule less than optimal.
However it's a good town to bring up kids and has good access to London, Brighton and more importantly Falmer.
I would say go for it,

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
I have just moved to Willingdon just outside Eastbourne and love it. Lovely views of the South Downs and 10 - 15 mins in the car to the seafront.
Totally agree. I live in Willingdon and have a great pub - The wheatsheaf just a short stumble away. Train station at Polegate and a short walk from the south downs.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I live in Seaford but Eastbourne's image as Gods Waiting room is a load of old baloney. Yes there are OAP's but loads of young families and others of a younger age group. If you get a good place in the town to live I would say go for it.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Eastbourne's suffered, like a lot of places, from losing a lot of the employers you used to find in a town that size. Now the options are dominated by retail and healthcare and average wages are pretty low. That's had a knock-on effect on the kind of shops, pubs, restaurants etc that are on offer. And because the train to London isn't particularly attractive to commuters, Eastbourne doesn't benefit from that crowd either.

That said, it's got some very nice natural amenities in the form of the seafront and countryside, most of the schools are OK, and if you want to shop in places like Debenhams/M&S/Next etc the town centre is nice and compact and will be improved by the redeveloped Arndale. Culturally you have the Towner gallery, three theatres (admittedly with a rather dated programme) and events like Airbourne, the ladies' tennis tournament etc to add a bit of interest.

It's my home town so my opinion is coloured by all kinds of emotional factors (though I no longer live there). It's a low-key, mostly friendly place that has taken a conscious decision not to be like Brighton or Hastings - which is sometimes a good thing but sometimes a missed opportunity. I wish it had a few restaurants that were as good as the better ones in Brighton, more of the independent shops you get in Lewes, some of the culture you find at the De La Warr in Bexhill and some of the investment that's gone into Hastings. But ultimately Eastbourne has always been a bit single-minded - in the past that was partly down to snobbery but these days I worry that there just aren't enough people there with good ideas. Or at least ideas that will work in a town with such low disposable income.

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne
I moved to Eastbourne from Brighton two years ago, to Langney in fact.
We have had no problems at all, haven't lived here long enough to say if there are any problem areas, but I certainly haven't found any.
Plenty to do, plenty of shops, parks and a really nice prom.
Go for it

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Under no circumstances take a flat in Pevensey Road or Langney Road

Old Town is nice but not the Cavalry Crescent side

avoid Southern Road area of Hampden Park

please don't let these comments put you off,I lived in Eastbourne for 15 years,it's a really nice town

I lived in Southern road for 6 months in 1999. No problems what so ever. In fact, surprisingly I was quite happy there.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Need to ensure you are in one of the better areas. The exclusive roads to aspire would be Royal Sussex Crescent and Croxden Way. Shinewater is very leafy and cosmopolitan and avoid like the plague areas like Meads and Ratton ;)

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Eastbourne's suffered, like a lot of places, from losing a lot of the employers you used to find in a town that size. Now the options are dominated by retail and healthcare and average wages are pretty low. That's had a knock-on effect on the kind of shops, pubs, restaurants etc that are on offer. And because the train to London isn't particularly attractive to commuters, Eastbourne doesn't benefit from that crowd either.

That said, it's got some very nice natural amenities in the form of the seafront and countryside, most of the schools are OK, and if you want to shop in places like Debenhams/M&S/Next etc the town centre is nice and compact and will be improved by the redeveloped Arndale. Culturally you have the Towner gallery, three theatres (admittedly with a rather dated programme) and events like Airbourne, the ladies' tennis tournament etc to add a bit of interest.

It's my home town so my opinion is coloured by all kinds of emotional factors (though I no longer live there). It's a low-key, mostly friendly place that has taken a conscious decision not to be like Brighton or Hastings - which is sometimes a good thing but sometimes a missed opportunity. I wish it had a few restaurants that were as good as the better ones in Brighton, more of the independent shops you get in Lewes, some of the culture you find at the De La Warr in Bexhill and some of the investment that's gone into Hastings. But ultimately Eastbourne has always been a bit single-minded - in the past that was partly down to snobbery but these days I worry that there just aren't enough people there with good ideas. Or at least ideas that will work in a town with such low disposable income.
That is a very fair and excellent post Sir!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here