Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Moving the away end

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I’m glad they’ve got a good view. Probably the second time in a season they’ll watch some excellent football, once at the Amex and secondly when we play them away.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I didn’t realise how huge and stunning the WS was until we sat in ESU one Championship game.
Ditto, definitely under rated for this. I sat in the West Stand for the first ten years, and now having moved to East Upper I do feel the view is great. it's a great backdrop to the game. Also like the new sign which I noticed they have added on the West Stand now as well as the East.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Personally I'm glad that the away team have decent seats. I want them to come down and have an enjoyable day on the south coast .... at least until the match starts any way
Wouldnt they be able to have an enjoyable day until the match starts even if they were moved though?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
But at Wolves it's a shallow terrace, not really a roof and very very difficult to make much noise. There is no where in the Premier League that gives right behind the goal. The closest are Forest. After that I'm struggling to think of a comparative team that doesn't put you in the corner or down the side and Forest is more in the corner than behind the goal.

Edit, I forgot Fulham by the way! and lets face it we love it, because we feel part of the game and help the team.
Liverpool

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It is the one thing that could really do with changing and I agree SW for the reasons you said. I expect the biggest issue is the concourse/shutters one, but given where we are currently and going forward, I still really hope something could be done.
Another big issue of course, could be removing the current season ticket holders who have seats in the SW corner, many of which l would suggest wouldn't b e happy about relocating.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Another big issue of course, could be removing the current season ticket holders who have seats in the SW corner, many of which l would suggest wouldn't b e happy about relocating.
I agree with this, possibly easier to move them round to East lower? Probably only need to move them round a couple of blocks?

I've no doubt it is a ballache to do otherwise it would have already happened but think we have reached that level where very fine margins matter now.

el punal

But at Wolves it's a shallow terrace, not really a roof and very very difficult to make much noise. There is no where in the Premier League that gives right behind the goal. The closest are Forest. After that I'm struggling to think of a comparative team that doesn't put you in the corner or down the side and Forest is more in the corner than behind the goal.

Edit, I forgot Fulham by the way! and lets face it we love it, because we feel part of the game and help the team.
At Newcastle you’re behind the goal of sorts, you also happen to be at Everest base camp level altitude. :drink:

el punal

If the away fans can be somewhere other than next to the family stand, that would be great. Seeing man/u/citeh make wanker signs at little kids isn’t great.
Haven’t the club put up some sort of high security screen in the south east corner between home and away fans? I can’t really tell as I’m in the far reaches of the West Upper so any wanker signs aimed at me disappear over the dim distant horizon. :drink:

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Haven’t the club put up some sort of high security screen in the south east corner between home and away fans? I can’t really tell as I’m in the far reaches of the West Upper so any wanker signs aimed at me disappear over the dim distant horizon. :drink:
No is easy to see - we’ve moved from the east stand to the north stand this year - more lively, less swearing and no wanker gestures at 12 year olds.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Ditto, definitely under rated for this. I sat in the West Stand for the first ten years, and now having moved to East Upper I do feel the view is great. it's a great backdrop to the game. Also like the new sign which I noticed they have added on the West Stand now as well as the East.

Ditto. I was front row WSU from the very beginning. Watching the ESU and corners being developed, instead of zzzzz El Adb to Greer to Ankergren passing exhibitions.

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
I'm not sure how many of you are interested in a North American perspective, but as someone pointed out to me last year, football is really the only spectator sport in Europe that segregates home and away fans. Of course, this is anathema in Canada and the US, where team/club owners will accept anyone's money, regardless of their allegiance, and where municipal pride is much less ingrained -- perhaps because of the vast distances between major cities and the fact that most families don't stay in one place across many generations and have members living across the continent according to personal preference/climate/work opportunities/career aspirations/pioneer spirit. Presumably, these reasons also apply to European arenas and stadia where non-football sports are played. Still, I find it hard to accept that a football club would want to diminish visiting fans' experience with their team and the locals by shunting them to the darkest recesses of their facility. It's not... sporting. So count me in for creating a rival-friendly zone behind a goal. Over here, nearly every visiting pro sports team has trouble picking out even a smattering of their fans among the gathered throng.

Aaaaaanyhow... Listen, here's an interesting story which I believe also reflects the experience of smaller markets in the SPL and Primeira Liga. I'm a STH of the NHL Ottawa Senators. We did not have a top-tier hockey team for nearly 60 years, so that meant that hockey fans in Eastern Ontario split into two camps who supported either the Toronto Maple Leafs or Les Canadiens de Montréal. Although the Senators were reborn 30 years ago in 1992, the majority of area Boomers and Gen Xers *still* support those two teams. At home games in Ottawa, whenever the Maple Leafs or Les Canadiens are the visiting team, half the stands are filled with the rival team's fans -- mostly native Ottawans, but also several thousand fans from Toronto and Montréal, due to a) cheaper ticket prices, and b) short driving distances (900 km round trip for Toronto, 400 km r-t for Montréal). That means there are 10 000 people from each fanbase sitting in an enclosed arena, all intermingled... and nearly always on a Saturday night for maximum national TV ratings. And yet, there is no bad blood between us; it all remains very civil... although, admittedly, when we meet in the playoffs (not very often) and the stakes are higher, there might be a few drunken troublemakers... but no donnybrooks, no brawls -- usually just a couple of pissed dummies swinging at each other until a security guard grabs them.

/ end rambling

Last edited:

World of Sport

Mar 9, 2007
WSU
Let me suffer
• Sun in their eyes
• Rain, snow and hail roaring in
• North wind blowing in their chubby little faces

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Two things to consider......

If you put them in the southern end of the Lower West the away fans heading to the coach park would need to walk past all the home supporters coming out of the south stand who were heading to the station.

Also, in the south stand on Saturday the Newcastle fans were looking into the glaring sun at the start of the game, admittedly we don't get much sun and it is in different places at different times of the year. So I'm not too sure how much of a problem the sun is in the south stand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here