Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MOUTH - The latest

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Steve's a decent, passionate, entertaining Albion fan, who like a lot of us, stands up to shout every now and then.

"Every now and then"? We had to spend 20 grand soundproofing the minibus before Mouth's first trip to Gillingham. Sometimes when he talks to me in the Tap before games I get phonecalls from people in Hove asking if I could ask him to keep it down a bit. I bloody love Mouth.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Interesting thread, to say the least.

As Bozzer and others have posted this whole issue has been simmering for a long time. I have no objection to the Stewards dealing with racist or other unacceptable behaviour in the ground (if indeed they do) but the blanket "sit down, shut up" attitude

Is there a |"sit down shut up" policy?

I certainly know there is a "sit down" policy ( which is stadium rules?) however I can't remember in the years I have been tortured at Withdean that there has ever been a "shut up "policy.

D

Deleted User X18H

C
For the record I have only had very positive experience from stewards (yes, this can happen).

TBH so have I . If ever read the ground/stadium regulations (every one was so happy to observe back in 99) it states you mustn't stand up during the match and also foul and adusive language is not tolerated.

But some people for whatever reason think they have this right to stand up because people at other stadiums do.

I have sat in E and H and this is mostly done to atagonise certain stewards
its a bit of pointless cat and mouse game.

Withdean came with a strict code of conduct to allow us to play there even in the last season surely it is necessary to observe this.

It is a shame this guy has been banned and maybe tarnished his own reputation with the club if it is based on hear say.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
So: highly visible identification for the stweards; a proforma letter to make it easy to draw issues to the clubs attention which includes the addresses of the correct point of contact in the club, including Paul Samrah (the Insider).

THRK... just to be clear... The Insider is Paul Camillin, Brighton and Hove Albion's Press Officer.

Paul Samrah is the nice man who does the on pitch interviews/announcements... and a leading light in rescuing the club from Archer in the gory days and then the Falmer for All campaign.

D

Deleted User X18H

THRK... just to be clear... The Insider is Paul Camillin, Brighton and Hove Albion's Press Officer.

Paul Samrah is the nice man who does the on pitch interviews/announcements... and a leading light in rescuing the club from Archer in the gory days and then the Falmer for All campaign.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::thumbsup:

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
I have no idea on that. Only repeating something that was said to me only last week.

Careful, I got a right slagging for raising that last week.

If its the same stewards causing the same problems to the same sections of the crowd, then video it. Some people in those areas of the ground must have phones with video facilities. Then give the footage to the club.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It was mentioned on here in the last week that there would be a zero tolerence section regarding misbehaviour in general, so that there was was a family friendly section where foul language etc wouldn't be tolerated.

Perhaps this has been warped through the chinese whisper effect into "zero tolerance on standing everywhere in the ground"?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Not fair Merry P. A lot of people on NSC do a lot for the club, it just may not be through the official supporters club. Too easy to tar everyone with a "moaners" tag.

I agree and wasn't knocking them at all. My point was that a vehicle for organised representation and communication with the club (you might not like it in its present form but if others joined it would change to reflect that) already exists, why not use it?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I wasn't at the game so can't comment on this particular incident. However what does annoy me is the Gestapo-like approach some stewards have towards our own supporters, whilst standing and homophobia seemingly are not issues in the away end.

£25 to be treated like scum - I can't understand why I don't go very much any more.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Since the old days I have sensed a real change of attitude among Albion fans, and, when I come on NSC, that view seems to be reflected on here. I may be wrong, but I definitely get a majority feeling along the lines of 'we're getting a spanking new stadium, leave it up to them, the club knows best, Bloom's paying, he who pays the piper calls the tune, not our place to make a fuss, no individual fans (and especially 'superfans' or 'the inner circle') represent our views anyway, let the club get on with it, no need for a new supporters' group, they'd just become another clique'
If I'm wrong, I'm wrong (and I'm not on here enough to gauge NSC completely) but that's the feeling I get.

Richard Hebbberd watches the majority of each game from next to us in the PA box. I don't agree with many/most of his views on general fan culture (staring with all seater stadia!!!!) but that's what the law says, that's what we're getting and after 14 years I don't think any of us are in a position, or a mood, to make a fuss about it. I hope very much that the people who want to create a good atmosphere at Falmer will be allowed to do so.

As regards the latest incident -
On matchdays, normally, very little seems to happen, apart from the standing issue, and for what it's worth I agree 100% with the opinions expressed here about the inconsistency involved. On Sat RH mentioned about someone being spoken to /banned due to their behaviour. From the reaction I have heard on here and in the pubs it seems to me that the club have got this 100% wrong.

If we want a channel for directing protests, it's still there: I don't think the Supporters' Club is the right one, it historically has played a very different role. But anyone who protests about anything these days (or claims to speak on behalf of anyone about anything Albion) runs the risk - maybe rightly, I dunno - of being seen as part of a 'self appointed clique' or whatever. I don't know what the answer is...

Personally (and the recent bannings at Leicester bear this out) I think English football is becoming far too sanitised. Lots of people like that, but I think we should have one stand where people can create an atmosphere without hassle, and that both law and steward practise should reflect that.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I simply made a response/suggestion to the comment Insider made about the need for ongoing dialogue. I do feel the current supporters club is too close to the club though, and it's current status and image I'm sure puts some people off joining. I can see some advantages, maybe a few disadvantages. If a group of supporters want to start up a new group with a different outlook and agenda then so be it, 'put up or shut up?'

As for two organisations...there are currently a number of supporters groups already addressing different sections of our support and their desires, agendas and needs.
I certainly don't disagree with your analysis and as you say there are a number of supporters' organisations: A21 club, Seagulls over London, Alba Seagulls, etc. But they exist to serve the interests of a specific section of the fanbase; they don't put themselves up as groups that claim to represent 'the Brighton fans'.

I have no objections to anybody forming another group if that's what they want to do (atilla mentioned the SLR fanzine people were interested in forming a 'new' BISA), but I would be extremely pissed off if they decided to adopt the mantle of 'voice of the fans' and started making annoucements and demands of the club and saying they were doing it in 'our name'.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I have known Mouth for many years as a familar face at the Albion and the cricket. I do not know him beyond a hello and chat about football/cricket.

In all these years he has lived up to his name as a very vocal and passionate fan of both club and county. As an outsider I have never heard him say anything that could cause offense and his chants and comments always good humoured.

I saw him surrounded by police and stewards on Saturday as we left the ground and it looked like he was trying mediate for someone else. The Police were filming him and appered to be jostling him, all I heard him say (in disbelief) was something like I did not say that or do that.

As an outsider on all this I find it very hard to understand how loyal fans like Krispes and Mouth get banned, with my experienes of them both being humourous and light hearted.

I must add my experience of Stewards at the Withdean is a good one, I always say hello and they politely reply and as I sit in Block F we rarely see them. But my experience of away games shows me you only need the wrong type or bad management to create bad feelings and trouble, so I do not doubt this could happen at the Withdean.

I have not read all of this thread as like me many people have started to write essays, but if the club have damming video evidence against certain invividuals fair dos, however it looks like stewards/police have over reacted and Mouth loses out.

Who do people suggest I write too and has a petition been set up to get the club to reconsidor this, also a review of current practice and ways to make the match day experience better for all.

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.
Is there a |"sit down shut up" policy?

I certainly know there is a "sit down" policy ( which is stadium rules?) however I can't remember in the years I have been tortured at Withdean that there has ever been a "shut up "policy.

To be honest, Dave, I 've never understood how you get a buzz going in a ground where everyone is seated. The problem goes wider than just that as well, in that the unwashed seats and general lack of noticable customer care at Withdean just gives the impression of a club that wants our money but not much else.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
All seater stadia brought in after the tragedy at Hillsborough. 1000+ Albion fans allowed the choice of standing or sitting albeit in a designated seat without any antagonism from the stewards during the game on August 21st. Crazy , the rules and regulations need to be rewritten.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here