Mother of 8 kids can't survive on £2,000 a month benefits

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
You've two degrees and that's the standard of English you produce?

Were the degrees in Serving at McDonald's and David Beckham Studies?

There you go again, belittling people who work in the fast food industry, last week you were ranting about the lack of work ops for your son, well my 19 yo has until recently found it extremely difficult to find work but has found an opportunity in this line of work and enjoys it. I really hope your NSC persona differs from your real one.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
It wasn't so long ago that 'child tax credits' didn't exist (introduced in Spring 2003 if memory serves). Now people seem to think they have a devine right to this cash. When my partner and I had our children pre-2003, there wasn't such assistance. We both worked and paid for the 2 that we had. Yes there was family allowance back then but it didn't equate to what you can top up your income with today.

Personally I think the Government has since made a rod for it's own back. Now most people don't want to lose them (which is understandable), but at least have some consideration for those of us who work to contribute to such schemes (especially as some of us work 70 hours a week to provide for our own families).

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
There you go again, belittling people who work in the fast food industry, last week you were ranting about the lack of work ops for your son, well my 19 yo has until recently found it extremely difficult to find work but has found an opportunity in this line of work and enjoys it. I really hope your NSC persona differs from your real one.

Does yours ?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Eh? I was having a pop at the bozo who was boasting about having two degrees, and the poor reputation of the McD degree

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11810930

not the industry.

Sorry if you took offence x

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
There is no law in this country that states how many children one person can have therefore she is entitled to benefits.

It may be legal, but is it socially responsible to have so many children when she can't afford to look after them. Especially in a recession when the funds are needed elsewhere.

Those kids are not being set a good example.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It may be legal, but is it socially responsible to have so many children when she can't afford to look after them. Especially in a recession when the funds are needed elsewhere.

Those kids are not being set a good example.

No, but kids they are and kids brought into this world through no fault of their own.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Would you be happy, for example, if your neighbour, who had no intention of working, and perhaps ridiculed you for setting out to work each day, enjoyed exactly the same standard of living as you do due to the benefits system?

Indeed, someone on my Facebook wall a little while ago was laughing at us losers that had to go to work in the rain whilst she was tucked up at home nice and dry "winning!".

It shouldn't be winning spitting out a kid every 4 years when one goes to school.

As always we should worry about the examples that are being set, don't worry about doing well at school and getting a decent job. Waste your education because the state is always there to fund your lifestyle.

Balls to that.

My parents worked their backsides off to bring us up well and our family mostly do the same. I hate that having kids can be seen as a career choice, and a family business.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Bollocks its a chance for the keyboard warriors to abuse a single mother who didn't make up the rules

What rules are you talking about! The rules of the welfare state? Bizarre. It seems many people need to learn about self reliance and personal accountability. I am all for supporting those in real need but having 8 kids in her position is stupidity. She is an illustration of the problem.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
No, but kids they are and kids brought into this world through no fault of their own.
Whilst you don't explicitly say so, I assume that the thrust of your argument would be that the children thus have to be supported -by this, we mean, of course, we pay the parent(s) benefits, even if it goes against the grain. That is what the parent is counting on -literally! Unfortunately, this message will not be lost on the children as they grow older, and this what the post meant, as the begging perpetuates itself. As one child once said to me -if the school expects you to work, they should give you a pencil.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Indeed, someone on my Facebook wall a little while ago was laughing at us losers that had to go to work in the rain whilst she was tucked up at home nice and dry "winning!".

It shouldn't be winning spitting out a kid every 4 years when one goes to school.

As always we should worry about the examples that are being set, don't worry about doing well at school and getting a decent job. Waste your education because the state is always there to fund your lifestyle.

Balls to that.

My parents worked their backsides off to bring us up well and our family mostly do the same. I hate that having kids can be seen as a career choice, and a family business.

These people aren't winning, far from it. Not matter what they tell themselves and other people. What gets me though is why people believe it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Whenever cases like Jimmy Carr or Gary Barlow using legal loopholes to avoid paying taxes (millions in some cases) someone always pops up defending them with something along the lines of "everyone would do what they can to avoid paying as much tax as they can get away with"

Rich people play the system in a legal, but immoral way - good luck to them!
Poor people play the system in a legal, but immoral way - scum!

Why are we so hard on poor people, and so easy on the rich?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Whenever cases like Jimmy Carr or Gary Barlow using legal loopholes to avoid paying taxes (millions in some cases) someone always pops up defending them with something along the lines of "everyone would do what they can to avoid paying as much tax as they can get away with"

Conditioning.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Do you not think that this is just that shade simplistic and contrived to suit your particular standpoint? When wealthier people get caught, I can't honestly say that I have heard anyone defending them - they deserve the same censure as anyone else. Indeed, my experience is exactly the opposite - typical that "the rich" get away with it ,as well as "the poor", and middle England ends up paying, because they don't have the fancy lawyers to help them wriggle out of it, or the lack of social conscience typical of benefit chasers.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

The scheme was taken to a tax tribunal and proved to be a method to avoid tax. Those invovled are now liable to pay the tax. Many invoved have said the acheme was morraly wrong and apologised. we need to continue to pursue the rich abusers

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
These people aren't winning, far from it. Not matter what they tell themselves and other people. What gets me though is why people believe it.

I think that depends very much on your definition of "winning". The people that chase benefits and have loads of kids to cash in on them, tend to live on the roughest housing estates, and in this sense they probably are not winning -by our standards, May I say ours? But by their standards, they would certainly see it as winning, as living in a rougher council estate, for example, would be the limit of their horizons.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I think that depends very much on your definition of "winning". The people that chase benefits and have loads of kids to cash in on them, tend to live on the roughest housing estates, and in this sense they probably are not winning -by our standards, May I say ours? But by their standards, they would certainly see it as winning, as living in a rougher council estate, for example, would be the limit of their horizons.

They are either telling themselves what they need to to get themselves through or they are a product of a broken society. Either way I can't feel much other than pity for them. Like you said earlier work ethics and principles are hand down through generations, it is safe to assume other ethics and morals are passed on the same way. Some people just don't stand a chance.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Balls to that.

Family is a culture thing. We grow up believing there is an order to things, fall in love, get married start a family. It defines success. If you're not a parent, then your life is a waste.

The recent supreme court ruling on gay marriage had this explanation:

No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice, and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were. As some of the petitioners in these cases demonstrate, marriage embodies a love that may endure even past death. It would misunderstand these men and women to say they disrespect the idea of marriage. Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from one of civilization's oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right. The judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit is reversed. It is so ordered.​

If you don't get married you're condemned to loneliness. If you're not part of a family your life means nothing.

Girls grow up being conditioned to dream of marriage, having kids.
Ask any newlywed and I'd wager the question they're asked most is 'when are you going to have kids?'
Ask a mother of a young child, and it's propbably 'when are you going to have the next one?'
You then have to factor in traditional gender roles - "full time mum" - putting pressure one women with the idea that to not be dedicated to children makes you a bad mother - 'Why have kids if you're going to have a childminder raise them?!'.
These traditional gender roles also feed into difficulties women have getting jobs generally for fear they might want maternity leave in the future, something that is exacerbated when they are already young mums - employers not wanting a woman who is going to need time off when the kid gets sick etc.

A lot of women, especially the ones that end up living on so many benefits, didn't get a decent education, grew up in economically poor communities and the limited career opportunities this all brings, is it any surprise given all of this that people see parenthood as the only thing that gives their lives purpose?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports