Mother of 8 kids can't survive on £2,000 a month benefits

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
It's all so obvious and yet WE fall for it every single time?

The same story.
The same tabloid outrage.
The same phone-in finger pointing.
The same mock outrage

Do you remember that week when big business tax avoidance was popular:-

1. Amazon
Online retailer Amazon was accused of using Luxembourg as a location to dramatically reduce their tax obligations in the UK. It was found that the company paid just £1.8m in corporation tax in 2011, despite its £3.35bn UK sales

2. Starbucks
Coffee giant Starbucks did not pay any UK corporation tax in 2011, despite making £380m that year.

3. Facebook
Social media company Facebook were found not to have paid any UK corporation tax in the 2012 fiscal year, despite its UK operation reporting a 70 per cent increase in income from the previous year. Figures show Facebook only paid £1m in UK corporation tax since 2007, despite making half a billion pounds in revenue in Britain.

4. Google
There was public outrage after it was found that Google had only paid £6m in UK corporation tax in 2011, despite raking in annual profit levels of £2.5bn in Britain.

5. Apple
Apple was found to have only paid a corporation tax rate of 1.9 per cent outside North America.

6. eBay
Online trading giant eBay have also been accused of avoiding paying corporation tax in the UK and Germany. It was found that eBay paid just little over $1m in tax, despite their sales of over £800m in the UK.

http://realbusiness.co.uk/article/25034-six-companies-that-avoid-paying-their-taxes

Every child in the UK could eat caviar and wear gold nappies if these 6 companies paid their way.

Don't forget the £85bn given to private companies every year for...erm...some good reason that escapes me at the moment...er...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One day Charlie Brooker is going to make a 'documentary' about a secret installation where they create government slight of hand, tabloid bait, news stories.

Hanger Bravo will just contain women pumping out kids.
One family gets released into the outside world every year, at an opportune moment.
Any surplus get to appear on Jeremy Kyle.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was watching a post budget report on the BBC following the reaction and ongoing effect for a couple on benefits with two kids, she complained that the cap on child benefit would stop them having more children as they wouldn't be able to afford it…
I've never heard a better advert for capping benefits. I suspect a lot of us have less children than we'd like because of money.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Quite. Blatantly planted Tory propoganda to reinforce support for the latest rounds of benefit cuts. Same as it ever was. There's always going to be some poor thick untermensch right at the bottom of the shitpile that The Nasty Party select for holding up to the hatred and ridicule of the 'HardWorkingTaxPayer' as a representative of the target demographic of recipients of the cuts.

There's a difference between poor decent people and skidmarks like this!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ok, point taken, but does that make it ok for people to scam/bend/distort etc etc the system? probably not, also system scammers are costing all of us a massive fortune, and quite honestly, I for one, don't see why I (and my wife) should work our guts out, earn less than some of these scammers do.

At present I am working in a job that gives me close contact with people who are all mainly in the system, many of them are nothing but scroungers they are working but not paying tax etc, the local council know but wont do anything about it, they give in to them!! if you experienced what I see on a daily basis, it is sickening! many of these people work very hard at screwing the system, I see it first hand.

And there will always be people like that because we live in a social where the people (not necessarily the government) want there to be a safety net.

I feel the same outrage at those that don't contribute, I have no idea what the answer is.
But I do know the current system with all it's faults is still considerably better than no system at all.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm more concerned about the amount we send abroad at £80 per child and this was 3 years ago...shocking :nono:
Britain isn't on that list. Do we really not pay any child benefit for any children in Britain, or is it possible the list is wrong?

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I've never heard a better advert for capping benefits. I suspect a lot of us have less children than we'd like because of money.

My Daughter, my son, many friends of ours over the years, most of the responsible ones, planned their kids around their income and affordability and we know quite a few who did not have kids / or stopped at the one they had, because of affordability............if you can't afford to bring up kids, dont have any!!!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
My Daughter, my son, many friends of ours over the years, most of the responsible ones, planned their kids around their income and affordability and we know quite a few who did not have kids / or stopped at the one they had, because of affordability............if you can't afford to bring up kids, dont have any!!!

But that is against my human rights, surely?

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land

I'm sympathetic to this but (not relevant to the to the woman in this thread) but life happens. Partners die, run off with girlfriend or contraception fails. Not exclusive to women but stats say more adversely affected.

Which is why it's often men that make these views

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm sympathetic to this but (not relevant to the to the woman in this thread) but life happens. Partners die, run off with girlfriend or contraception fails. Not exclusive to women but stats say more adversely affected.
Of course life happens and sometimes people end up with more children than they felt they could afford, but that's not what we're talking about. We're talking about a person who had 2 children and wanted more, but couldn't have them due to the benefits cap, and comparing that to other people we know who have less children than they would have liked, were it not for the expense. We're not talking about an accidental pregnancy etc.

Which views exactly? Like the one that perhaps people with no income who rely on benefits to feed and house their family should maybe stop at two children? You don't think women share that view?

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)

I agree, but I think the person in question (woman 8 kids 2 grand a month etc etc) which the thread started off about, does not really come under that umbrella.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Shock woman on nsc objects to misogyny and retaliates to a load of thumbs down.
you obviously cant give any examples, anyway , if you cant stand the heat, get BACK in the kitchen.......

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have more sympathy for that situation, to be fair. By which I mean, it is harsh if both parents are working to make ends meet and calculate they can do so, only to see benefits slashed thereby taking you into the red - it sort of happened to me when child benefit was cut. However on reflection, I think you are right when you say people should assume the worst when it comes to state benefits when making these decisions.

Agreed. Family planning just seems to go out the window with some people. In that instance with the bloke on 5-Live, it was a case of "despite us both working, we can't really afford to have 4 kids, but we still WANT 4 kids, and under the current system, the State will help pick up the slack. So wheyhey, get em' off and jump on love, lets start churning them out".

Nobody with any self respect WANTS to rely on benefits, and I accept that there are circumstances that occur which sometimes make it unavoidable. But having a big family is not a "human right" when you are reliant on others to help feed it. There is such a thing as cutting your cloth, but the sense of entitlement with some people obviously overrides that.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I'm one of 8 kids from a time when there were bigger families around. All my siblings have same parents, dad worked at hospital, Mum stayed at home and sometimes had cleaning jobs. We weren't rich but there was not such a wealth gap among the working class back then. I wonder if, transported into the last few years, we could have been one of the richest families on the estate.

If you have kids then you're responsible to bring them up. Sometimes things happen and that's where Welfare is there to support, not to fund a lifetime of living instead of work.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I'm one of 8 kids from a time when there were bigger families around. All my siblings have same parents, dad worked at hospital, Mum stayed at home and sometimes had cleaning jobs. We weren't rich but there was not such a wealth gap among the working class back then. I wonder if, transported into the last few years, we could have been one of the richest families on the estate.

If you have kids then you're responsible to bring them up. Sometimes things happen and that's where Welfare is there to support, not to fund a lifetime of living instead of work.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

Thats a coincidence someone else has just posted a very similar story to yours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports