Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MOTD2, BBC One 22:30

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not sure why anyone feels the the need to hear praise from pundits - we are doing great and anyone watching the game will know that and also who played well and who played not so well.
I think it does help when it comes to attracting players, if we get the recognition we deserve. Some players can see for themselves what sort of club we are, but not all are tuned in to the details of every PL club (certainly including players from leagues abroad). I'm reminded (not very well, as will become clear) of an Everton player we showed interest in signing. I think he chose Palace instead, because he thought they were an established PL team, even though it was obvious (at least to us) that we were in a better position (training ground, manager, trajectory etc).

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I thought a lot of that was dreadful - all about how Potter needs (and must want) to move on and how it's "not fair" for him to be stuck at Brighton.
Yep - tw@s.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I thought a lot of that was dreadful - all about how Potter needs (and must want) to move on and how it's "not fair" for him to be stuck at Brighton. Not even a consideration that he may enjoy what he is doing and want to stay.

Every pundit discussion about GP soon becomes a discussion of who will take him from Brighton. Its just where we are in the food chain. The big boys will always cream the talent from the rest. Its not just us, it happens to every club outside of the Superleague conspirators, Bayern Munich and PSG. This one was actually a little more interesting as it picked up on the possibility of the route to CL experience through joining a big club outside of the EPL.

I wouldn't be offended that the conversation always goes this way. The other part of the conversation that always happens when we're up for discussion is praise for the recruitment and succession planning. I think its clear that this is not down to the manager. He is excellent at working with the squad he is given and improving what he has, but I don't get the impression that he is much involved in building the squad. The succession planning will have considered the demand for him as well as for our best players. He would be a great loss, but I'm sure that the club will either have a list of promising coaches that most of us have never heard of, or are already developing a replacement from within. Lallana for instance comes across as a perceptive football obsessive, highly regarded by, and determined to learn from, every top coach he works with. I'm sure that his picking Brighton as a destination was a decision made with thought that went longer term than his playing career.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I thought a lot of that was dreadful - all about how Potter needs (and must want) to move on and how it's "not fair" for him to be stuck at Brighton. Not even a consideration that he may enjoy what he is doing and want to stay.

Every pundit discussion about GP soon becomes a discussion of who will take him from Brighton. Its just where we are in the food chain. The big boys will always cream the talent from the rest. Its not just us, it happens to every club outside of the Superleague conspirators, Bayern Munich and PSG. This one was actually a little more interesting as it picked up on the possibility of the route to CL experience through joining a big club outside of the EPL.

I wouldn't be offended that the conversation always goes this way. The other part of the conversation that always happens when we're up for discussion is praise for the recruitment and succession planning. I think its clear that this is not down to the manager. He is excellent at working with the squad he is given and improving what he has, but I don't get the impression that he is much involved in building the squad. The succession planning will have considered the demand for him as well as for our best players. He would be a great loss, but I'm sure that the club will either have a list of promising coaches that most of us have never heard of, or are already developing a replacement from within. Lallana for instance comes across as a perceptive football obsessive, highly regarded by, and determined to learn from, every top coach he works with. I'm sure that his picking Brighton as a destination was a decision made with thought that went longer term than his playing career.

I'm with Stato on this one. It was Sutton who was banging on about Potter deserving better -- and Sutton is there to state simple opinions emphatically (to his credit, he's not regularly wrong and plays up to his persona). Not so sure any of the other three on the programme were saying as much. As to Potter's next job, I thought the Dortmund link was one of the better fits for him that I've heard, and the overall discussion was not only complimentary but had us right at the top/front of the programme and for a long time (which is one of the things that B&HA fans have compalined about for a long, long time).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The problem wasn't that they were saying some big clubs could be interested, but the claim that it wasn't fair on him to be stuck at Brighton.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
The problem wasn't that they were saying some big clubs could be interested, but the claim that it wasn't fair on him to be stuck at Brighton.

From the same pundits that thought it was odd that his contract was extended a few months after he started with us

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
From the same pundits that thought it was odd that his contract was extended a few months after he started with us
Which is why I don't tune in. I like Mark Chapman, but I can't listen to a show with Sutton on.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

And the same ones that went on about how unfair it was to sack CH and we were nailed on relegation material that season.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I've thought that the Bundesliga might be Potter's next destination for a while, ever since he was asked a couple of years ago who he'd fancy for our final pre-season friendly if he could pick anyone. He didn't go for Barcelona or Real Madrid but Bayern Munich. So I'd suggest that he admires the German game.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I think it does help when it comes to attracting players, is we get the recognition we deserve. Some players can see for themselves what sort of club we are, but not all are tuned in to the details of every PL club (certainly including players from leagues abroad). I'm reminded (not very well, as will become clear) of an Everton player we showed interest in signing. I think he chose Palace instead, because he thought they were an established PL team, even though it was obvious (at least to us) that we were in a better position (training ground, manager, trajectory etc).

Agree with what you have said about publicising how good we are and the benefits.

What I said was why do we need to feel the need to hear from pundits who often lack knowledge are usually two faced (e.g. how bad we were to sack Hughton but now praise the decision, what bad fans we all are when a few booed the team etc) and playing their part in the TV circus operated mainly by SKY, Btsport and BBC who want to pander to the TV audience who support the top 6 rather than football fans who go through the turnstile every week. Note before offending anymore people I am aware that a number of NSCers don't go to games and watch on TV but by and large those people have been, will be or would be at Brighton games if they could and have an allegiance to this club.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Which is why I don't tune in. I like Mark Chapman, but I can't listen to a show with Sutton on.

I'm not going to bother listening to this show if Sutton really was talking like he's "stuck" at Brighton. This is the Chris Sutton who excelled at Norwich, so he chose to move to *checks notes* Blackburn Rovers.

Yes, I know Blackburn had lots of money, but Albion are 4th - not sure there is much difference in the scenarios.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Might warrant a separate thread, but Sky just released a 5 minute video about why we're doing so well. Well worth the time to watch, nothing we don't already know, but nice to hear it said.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here