[Football] MOTD

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I’d much rather have 3 or 4 good journalists in the studio. I really don’t understand the enthusiasm for ex-footballers to act as pundits and analysts. With very few exceptions, all they ever do is state the bleedin' obvious.
The problem with journalists is that they are effectively the same as the guy who sits behind you at the Amex in having never played is full of made up stories and would sell their grandmothers for an insight

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
To be honest, I love Match of the Day. The theme tune never fails to bring a smile on my face (even when we were terrible), Gary Lineker is an excellent host and I don't mind Micah Richards and some of the other pundits. Shearer can be decent when the boring mask slips and he gets properly angry with something, or there's a bit of 'banter'.

I'd love a 3 hour deep dive into the games, but I know they can't do that so I find it elsewhere. Podcasts, or YouTube where journalists or ex-pros, or even just fans talk about the game from their perspective. Lord knows there's plenty of options out there now. I use MOTD to watch the goals from the games I've not seen, or to hear the 'expert' take on a contentious decision. Plus it's been part of my weekend for my whole life. Either staying up late with my dad, or when I got back from the pub, or catching the early morning repeat after getting in from a night out.

When we got relegated and we were forced to watch the Championship version (I don't even remember the name of it) I realised just how good MOTD actually is.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Honestly though, if you get home from the game, instead of waiting for a programme you clearly don't enjoy, why don't you just wait for Brighton to release their highlights package? Then your evening is free for mosh pits, magic tricks or whatever takes your fancy?

There's a place for statistics when they add something to the discussion/analysis, but all to often it's used as filler to let pundits who've not done their research sound like they have a clue.
What are you talking about?!!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
:wozza:

Jimmy Hill was the definition of a wealthy former pro.
Earning the same as Shearer and Lineker from BBC? Didn’t know they published salaries back then, how much did he earn from BBC?

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
What are you talking about?!!
Well, if you don't like the show, don't watch it and watch the goals on YouTube instead. Do something else with your evenings instead of getting angry?

But, understand that it is hugely popular and that means there are thousands of people who do enjoy it, even if you don't. We don't all have to like the same things.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
There's a place for statistics when they add something to the discussion/analysis, but all to often it's used as filler to let pundits who've not done their research sound like they have a clue.
100% this. It’s particularly laughable when Lineker asks Shearer a question and with his serious face he trots out some statistic as if he’s the oracle - everyone knows that’s Johnny Vegas!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
MOTD has a challenge. It has to get a lot of content in a short space of time. It's not like Sky Sports where they can spend 3 hours waffling on to the Brentford manager about something pointless.

The thing I think could go is the interviews after each match. Sure if a manger has said something interesting then play an interview, but mostly they don't.

They could also save time on replaying incidents, for example a penalty decision. It's common to have an incident replayed 3 times. Just 2 would be sufficient surely, we want more content in there and a little more analysis would be better.

Don't really need to see shots of chairmen, random fans. Cut the fat, you could get quite a lot more football in there.

And Lineker can stop trying to sell our players thank you very much
I don't know if this is the case but, given the PL get very jumpy about re-showing content, is there a limit in the BBC's contract relating to the amount of minutes of actual game footage MoTD is allowed to show? Could it be that the deal it signed included, say, 30 minutes of football action, which was cheaper than, say, 45 minutes each programme and less waffle?

I honestly don't think we're too far away from MoTD having had it's day – or at least having a major revamp. There are so many different platforms for consuming football – and the attention spans of people are getting shorter – that I reckon long-term it's a bit of a busted flush. The Bobkin Jnrs – who I always use as a measure of what's 'good' and what's not these days (down with the kids, I am not) – absolutely love the programme. However, they do mostly fast-forward most of the analysis and manager chat. Apart from the Albion stuff, obvs.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don't know if this is the case but, given the PL get very jumpy about re-showing content, is there a limit in the BBC's contract relating to the amount of minutes of actual game footage MoTD is allowed to show? Could it be that the deal it signed included, say, 30 minutes of football action, which was cheaper than, say, 45 minutes each programme and less waffle?

I honestly don't think we're too far away from MoTD having had it's day – or at least having a major revamp. There are so many different platforms for consuming football – and the attention spans of people are getting shorter – that I reckon long-term it's a bit of a busted flush. The Bobkin Jnrs – who I always use as a measure of what's 'good' and what's not these days (down with the kids, I am not) – absolutely love the programme. However, they do mostly fast-forward most of the analysis and manager chat. Apart from the Albion stuff, obvs.
They show plenty more action on MOTD 2. My kids go past the analysis as well. Which annoys me, there's actually some decent football education to be had in those.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017

Yeah there must me some kind of restriction on the amount of minutes they can show. Also explains why you can't watch older episodes of MOTD on catch up or whatever. It's a shame like, there's a few episodes that were amazing because of the number of goals in the PL, 5th February 2011 e.g.
1692103894442.png

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Yeah there must me some kind of restriction on the amount of minutes they can show. Also explains why you can't watch older episodes of MOTD on catch up or whatever. It's a shame like, there's a few episodes that were amazing because of the number of goals in the PL, 5th February 2011 e.g.
View attachment 164997
I remember watching the great Jeff Stelling and co that afternoon and yours was a bit of a classic with Arsenal in their classic Wenger style of being irresistible at the beginning before collapsing to your rampant comeback. Wasn’t your equaliser a thunderbolt from that poor lad no longer with us?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
To be honest, I love Match of the Day. The theme tune never fails to bring a smile on my face (even when we were terrible), Gary Lineker is an excellent host and I don't mind Micah Richards and some of the other pundits. Shearer can be decent when the boring mask slips and he gets properly angry with something, or there's a bit of 'banter'.
The theme tune definitely has this effect on me ever since I read a letter in Viz with the suggested lyrics: "I said f*** off, you arsing b*stard, f*** off you arsing tw*t". I now sing this heartily every time and it fits perfectly, with a resounding "arsing, arsing, arsing, arsing TW*T!!" for the crescendo at the end.

You really must give it a go. It's therapeutic.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
I remember watching the great Jeff Stelling and co that afternoon and yours was a bit of a classic with Arsenal in their classic Wenger style of being irresistible at the beginning before collapsing to your rampant comeback. Wasn’t your equaliser a thunderbolt from that poor lad no longer with us?
The whole match day was bonkers.

Yeah, Cheik Tiote with his first and only goal for the club to rescue a point when we were 4-0 down at half time. Unreal game. Such a tragedy he died so young, was a wonderful player, a great pro and did so much for his community too.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Well, if you don't like the show, don't watch it and watch the goals on YouTube instead. Do something else with your evenings instead of getting angry?

But, understand that it is hugely popular and that means there are thousands of people who do enjoy it, even if you don't. We don't all have to like the same things.
Again, what are you blithering on about? You’ve asserted I don’t like. You’ve asserted I’m angry about. I merely commented about what I’d prefer as a format (because it’s a chat site, clue in the name).

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Again, what are you blithering on about? You’ve asserted I don’t like. You’ve asserted I’m angry about. I merely commented about what I’d prefer as a format (because it’s a chat site, clue in the name).
When I like things, I compliment them. You haven't done that about MOTD, in fact you've complained about the pundits, the analysis, and even the salaries of the hosts. You can understand why I'd assume you don't like it. You sound like you're angry about the format of the show.

What you've said is that you just want the goals, well as I've said, you can get that online within a few hours of the match finishing. So why watch something that brings you to complain about the format?

All sounds a bit 'old man shouts at cloud' if you ask me.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

I'd love a 3 hour deep dive into the games, but I know they can't do that so I find it elsewhere. Podcasts, or YouTube where journalists or ex-pros, or even just fans talk about the game from their perspective. Lord knows there's plenty of options out there now. I use MOTD to watch the goals from the games I've not seen, or to hear the 'expert' take on a contentious decision. Plus it's been part of my weekend for my whole life. Either staying up late with my dad, or when I got back from the pub, or catching the early morning repeat after getting in from a night out.

When we got relegated and we were forced to watch the Championship version (I don't even remember the name of it) I realised just how good MOTD actually is.
The Championship version is even worse now.

At least on the BBC it had Manish and no adverts. Now it's a slog on ITV, with adverts punctuating every set of games. Attempting to fit 36 games into 90 mins, with analysis and with at least five advert breaks creates a bloated mess.

Match of the Day is the golden standard for a reason.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Championship version is even worse now.

At least on the BBC it had Manish and no adverts. Now it's a slog on ITV, with adverts punctuating every set of games. Attempting to fit 36 games into 90 mins, with analysis and with at least five advert breaks creates a bloated mess.

Match of the Day is the golden standard for a reason.
No it isn't. That may have been the case previously, but the EFL highlights are much improved this season.

Look, ad breaks are always a ballache. But this season they've binned all the studio analysis and focussed on the goals, plus a few post-match soundbite interviews from the managers. Perfect.

I record it and FF the ads to the action. Its far more watchable now.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
No it isn't. That may have been the case previously, but the EFL highlights are much improved this season.

Look, ad breaks are always a ballache. But this season they've binned all the studio analysis and focussed on the goals, plus a few post-match soundbite interviews from the managers. Perfect.

Well if you want that for the Premier League, it's more than available.

TNT broadcast the Premier League's official highlights package called "Premier League Review".

For me, I want context and narrative. That's what the studio provides. I didn't actually have an issue with the level of analysis on last seasons EFL show, just that they didn't have enough time. They still don't really.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

Interviews with managers are incompatible with perfection.
If they went around actively stopping people interviewing them I could get behind it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well if you want that for the Premier League, it's more than available.

TNT broadcast the Premier League's official highlights package called "Premier League Review".

For me, I want context and narrative. That's what the studio provides. I didn't actually have an issue with the level of analysis on last seasons EFL show, just that they didn't have enough time. They still don't really.
Sure, and to be clear, I AM a big fan of MOTD, quite happy with its current format. But they are only covering 6-8 games usually on a Saturday night.

The EFL show is covering around 32-36, so it really did need to be trimmed down. Their studio analysis was an utter borefest which needed to be binned off. Someone made a wise decision, its far more watchable now IMO.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
When I like things, I compliment them. You haven't done that about MOTD, in fact you've complained about the pundits, the analysis, and even the salaries of the hosts. You can understand why I'd assume you don't like it. You sound like you're angry about the format of the show.

What you've said is that you just want the goals, well as I've said, you can get that online within a few hours of the match finishing. So why watch something that brings you to complain about the format?

All sounds a bit 'old man shouts at cloud' if you ask me.
You sound very binary, and I suppose you’re entitled to mistaken interpretation. All sounds a bit millennial if you ask me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports