Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] MOTD

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I’d much rather have 3 or 4 good journalists in the studio. I really don’t understand the enthusiasm for ex-footballers to act as pundits and analysts. With very few exceptions, all they ever do is state the bleedin' obvious.
On the flip side, most of the journalists that talk tactics are full of bullshit. Happy to hear journalists conveying news but would rather find out about what to look for on the pitch from someone who’s actually been there and done it.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I’m not sure I can cope with another season of Micah Richards, talentless bore, he can’t string a coherent sentence together and clearly does zero research. The next Garth Crooks.
I really like him. Very likeable personality and a nice contrast to the serious Shearer.

Still the best football highlight programme.
Me too, I like him. Can’t see why he deserves comparison to Garth Crooks of all people!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I can understand not focusing on the penalties as on the first game of the season they want to talk more about how the teams shape up going forward, which they by and large did (us about losing Mac and Moises, them about being generally shite)

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I can understand not focusing on the penalties as on the first game of the season they want to talk more about how the teams shape up going forward, which they by and large did (us about losing Mac and Moises, them about being generally shite)
Discussing the penalties would also be more or less a moot point, seeing as how they really wouldn’t have impacted on the outcome. Might have been different if there’d only been a single goal in it but the win was comfortable enough so the penalties were hardly that controversial.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Personally I don't mind the pundits and analysis, I just wish they wouldn't show matches that don't feature Brighton. If they're before our game I just fall asleep and if after, I've switched off so irrelevant.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
I think Richards is a breath of fresh air. You need him to balance out Roy Keane (who is also great but I don't know if he's on MOTD) otherwise it'd just be dullards doing the punditry.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Match of the Day is caught between two things and succeeds at being neither. Either do serious, in-depth analysis on each game. Or just have the goals.

Although, just doing the goals seems pointless because you can get that on youtube a couple of hours after the match has finished.

The time limit means they don't really have space to go into formations, or systems, or whatever. It's just "And he gets the ball, goes round him and puts it away." I'm getting nothing from that. Like, in your game, talk about how the debutants play. I watched Match of the Day but I'm still not really sure what Dahoud is.

I love Shearer, but he's not adding anything really. Go to him to explain the reason why he rates Ferguson so highly, give him time to show his working. If it's just "the defending is poor, it's naive of Luton", I don't get anything from that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here