Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] MOTD - 22:30 BBC One

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Re the pen.

If that isn’t a pen due to proximity then does it mean that those players who go to block crossed with their hands behind their backs are mugs? Or based on the shearer interpretation is it “get yourself within a metre and make yourself as big as you like”

The Brentford player new full well he had given a pen. But then had not. This would certainly have been given if we had not also got a rightful pen five mins earlier.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
This. Clear as day
The more I see it the more I'm thinking the same - in days of old that (rightly imo) isn't given as a pen: hit at him from close range - didn't have time to move his arm, which wasn't in an unnatural position, out the way...

but in this day and age you see those given as a pen all the time which is why you see players go in to block like that with arms behind their back (which is ironically obviously more 'unnatural'), so why wasn't this one given? Only reason I can think of is that they'd only just given one for handball and bottled giving another one

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The more I see it the more I'm thinking the same - in days of old that (rightly imo) isn't given as a pen: hit at him from close range - didn't have time to move his arm, which wasn't in an unnatural position, out the way...

but in this day and age you see those given as a pen all the time which is why you see players go in to block like that with arms behind their back (which is ironically obviously more 'unnatural'), so why wasn't this one given? Only reason I can think of is that they'd only just given one for handball and bottled giving another one
Agree. Stonewall for me these days, regardless if he is trying to remove his hand, the ball hit it and prevented a cross.

Pre-VAR I’d have said harsh, but everything has changed.

As for Shearer, just a biased dick, who should have stayed off the air.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Re the pen.

If that isn’t a pen due to proximity then does it mean that those players who go to block crossed with their hands behind their backs are mugs?

Yes (but they're not, because that should have been a pen)

Or based on the shearer interpretation is it “get yourself within a metre and make yourself as big as you like”

The Brentford player new full well he had given a pen. But then had not. This would certainly have been given if we had not also got a rightful pen five mins earlier.
Indeed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Having seen the replays of the first pen again (which the ref also saw), I cannot believe he wasn't sent off. He literally dived across with his arm out like superman
Exactly

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It's a measure of how much was happening in the game that MOTD didn't have space to to include Brentford's indirect free-kick inside our box. All eleven Albion players stretched across the goal line! :lol:
Or Caciedo's thunderbolt which was tipped over by Reya. Strange to edit that out but I guess there were so many chances.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Re the second pen appeal, I'm surprised VAR didn't at least ask Oliver to look at the monitor. It was highly debatable and similar handballs are nearly always given now. The Brentford player had his head in his hands - he was expecting it to be given.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Re the second pen appeal, I'm surprised VAR didn't at least ask Oliver to look at the monitor. It was highly debatable and similar handballs are nearly always given now. The Brentford player had his head in his hands - he was expecting it to be given.
For the penalty, the Brentford player had his back to the ball and clearly had no idea where his arm was. For the second penalty appeal, he was facing the ball. Hard to comprehend how one was given and the other one wasn't. If anything the 2nd looked more clear-cut than the 1st

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Agree. Stonewall for me these days, regardless if he is trying to remove his hand, the ball hit it and prevented a cross.

Pre-VAR I’d have said harsh, but everything has changed.

As for Shearer, just a biased dick, who should have stayed off the air.
Well quite.
Draw is the perfect result for Shearer. Brighton win the worst.
Yeah Oliver got it right. Course he did.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just mentioned on the other thread. Oliver was quick to note the defender had his arms by his side, so Oliver saw the contact between ball and arm, but felt it was a natural position. For VAR to advise him to look again, they would need to feel if was a clear and obvious error - how far away from his sides do the arms have to be for it to be a 'clear and obvious' error to say the arms are by his side? Further, if similar handballs are nearly always given it means there are times when they are not given, giving further support to it not being a 'clear and obvious' error.

*To note, I've not seen a replay of this incident so maybe this is a really generous interpretation, but it's the one that makes most sense to me having only watched it live.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Just mentioned on the other thread. Oliver was quick to note the defender had his arms by his side, so Oliver saw the contact between ball and arm, but felt it was a natural position. For VAR to advise him to look again, they would need to feel if was a clear and obvious error - how far away from his sides do the arms have to be for it to be a 'clear and obvious' error to say the arms are by his side? Further, if similar handballs are nearly always given it means there are times when they are not given, giving further support to it not being a 'clear and obvious' error.

*To note, I've not seen a replay of this incident so maybe this is a really generous interpretation, but it's the one that makes most sense to me having only watched it live.
His hand was not by his side and stopped the cross from being delivered.
It was a pen.
Definitely not deliberate ( the first pen was), but a penalty by this season's rulings.

Amazed RDZ didn't pick up a card from yesterday's game.

The decisions are beginning to look more and more like a conspiracy.
Clearly our slim chance of UCL needs to be snuffed out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here