Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] MOTD - 22:30 BBC One

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
The issue as many are saying is not the lack of praise…A few superlatives here and there followed immediately by ‘but’ or comments about LFC premised with ‘not to take anything away from Brighton’ etc do nothing to appease my disappointment that they cannot portray a realistic interpretation of the actual course of events effectively. My biggest gripe, I personally want and enjoy some actual analysis about us. 9/10 fair enough, we’re not top 6, I get it. Doesn’t make it right but they’re selling a product to the masses, but when a ‘team like Brighton’ spank LFC then do us justice!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Edited contrary to actual events, you had to be there I guess!

Not a bad thing, other fan based not knowing how good we actually are, the meltdowns online wouldn’t feature shock

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The beauty of being able to stream every PL game I can’t get to is that MOTD has become something of an irrelevance to me. I watch it when we win out of interest, I enjoy seeing Lineker doing his best not to say more than a sentence about us. I believe he managed a game a few years ago when he didn’t even say the word Brighton in the coverage of our game.

I so hope we give Leicester a good thrashing next week

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I watched MOTD because i didn't what the after match replay in the ground. It was a very poor version of the game. If Messi or Rashford or Kane had scored that Wellbeck goal it would have been replayed many times. What it didn't show was the football not leading to goals some of which was sublime. But to be fair that's what i expect from the programme , they certainly aren't anti-Brighton its just we are not big news.

What i would have preferred them to do is spend some more time about the MUFC offside goal that stood and why e.g. Mitoma's trailing foot was ruled out. That is call out bad and in consistent refereeing. With more emphasis on name and shame.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Your last comment is key to this: Most mainstream football coverage sees the goings on at the top six (now seven) as being of interest to the majority; The performances of all other clubs as only of interest to their fans. There is some truth in the second part as all fans complain that their clubs are not given enough attention.

The underlying complaint is really that whether their teams are good, bad or indifferent, the fans of a select few clubs are much better served than all others because the accepted paradigm is that they are the story. It's this kind of skewed understanding of football fans that gave their owners the impression that they didn't need the rest of us, but could throw their lot in with their equally feted counterparts in Europe and have the rest of us enraptured. It's a myth. The rest of us care as little about their teams as they do about ours.

Had yesterday's game been the other way around, there would have been one Brighton chance in the edit and talk only of Liverpool's brilliance. They wouldn't do that to Liverpool because they view them as one of the main characters in the EPL story and the rest of us as supporting players. It's not preciousness from Brighton fans, it's weariness with the continuation of a false narrative.
Yup. It’s a pre written and edited narrative. The problem is there are a lot of teams who seem to play extremely poorly when up against BHA. Funny that. Must all be a giant co-incidence. A bit of praise for BHA at the beginning also does not cut it. This shouldn’t be happening anymore.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
Soccer Sunday: Liverpool lost to Brighton yesterday. We’ll assess what went wrong after the break. FFS
Take this back! Yes they’re talking about LFC non stop but the opening praise regarding us was EXACTLY what we should have got from MOTD last night. It was 30secs and they’ll now talk about LFC for 20mins BUT it was a true/accurate reflection of how good we were and that we earned the win!

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Good to see Ian Wright having another subtle dig at Souness regarding the De Zerbi appointment.
Is there something else to that? I mean, I completely agree with Wright, but it seems odd that he brought it up again. Apart from Souness I don't remember any other negative stuff about RDZ. Any bad blood between them? (Wright and Souness)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is there something else to that? I mean, I completely agree with Wright, but it seems odd that he brought it up again. Apart from Souness I don't remember any other negative stuff about RDZ. Any bad blood between them? (Wright and Souness)
Quite probably Wrighty the footballer wasn't exactly a Souness type of player.
Maybe words were said back in the day.

Although Ian has been our biggest supporter, for a very long time, and a fella who despite his outward demeanour doesn't appear to take fools lightly.

Anyhoo all the time this exists Wrightys alright by me.

Best watched while peeling an emergency onion.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
My main annoyance with MOTD is when they lead the conversation after the highlights with a lengthy discussion of some refereeing controversy or other, rather than actually talking about the football.
Especially when it becomes apparent that none of them actually know the rules that they're meant to be discussing.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Indeed.

The reason the offside law was changed was to allow goals when non interfering players had no impact whatsoever on whether the goal goes in or not. This interpretation of that new law by the ref and VAR was farcical. Rashford more or less runs across the ball after the centre half had stopped to let him run into an offside position.

Embarrassing decision and honestly, those officials need relegating.
That was a bad call. I believe that theres nothing wrong with the offside rule itself - Rashford clearly made a 'fake' for the ball and as such committed an offside offense according to the rule.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking

Although Ian has been our biggest supporter, for a very long time, and a fella who despite his outward demeanour doesn't appear to take fools lightly.

I’d never seen that. :cry:

Bloody love Wrighty.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

Always liked Ian Wright, he has been very complimentary of us for many years

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here