Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] MOTD - 22:30 BBC One

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
What I’ll say is that I like to see some analysis of all the teams MOTD cover. Their track record with us over recent weeks has been poor.

Everton - as above

In some ways this is fine. The more we go under the radar the better. But MOTD should now be focusing on why we are good …
PS
Was this the MOTD v Everton where Ian Wight said “everything about them - Albion - is magnificent “ and praised Evan Ferguson at length

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
In showing every single second of Liverpools 3 or 4 threatening attacks, it seemed to the MOTD viewers that Liverpool were somehow ‘in it’. They never were, not even for a moment.
I watched the whole game on Sky Game of the Day, then MOTD. Apart from the goals, I might have thought I was watching a different game.

Every single half chance for Liverpool shown. I would have liked the analysis on MoTD to have simply shown the 90 seconds or so in the second half where after 40+ (mostly one touch) passes of the ball, Mitoma shot straight at the keeper. It was sensational. Liverpool could not get close to the ball, not because they have bad players, but because our technical ability was so good.
It might be hyperbole, but at times this team reminds me of the Barcelona of Messi, Xavi, Iniesta etc.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just watched MOTD. Don’t think it was anywhere near as bad as some on here are implying. Pearce was gushing throughout the commentary, Wright was as usual very complimentary and there were plenty of positive comments from Lineker and Richards. Liverpool turning to shit (being helped along the way) is the big story for the majority anyway.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Watched full match on Sky and then MOTD …not complaining about either….then popped off to bed and listened to the second half commentary on R5 ..no complaints

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Just watched MOTD. Don’t think it was anywhere near as bad as some on here are implying. Pearce was gushing throughout the commentary, Wright was as usual very complimentary and there were plenty of positive comments from Lineker and Richards. Liverpool turning to shit (being helped along the way) is the big story for the majority anyway.
Pearce was gushing. He sees a lot of us as he lives down near Brighton doesn't he? I think it was the editing that made it look like Liverpool had more of the game than they did. Watching with no sound on, you would assume Liverpool had 4 chances in the game and took none, while Brighton scored with 3 of their 5 chances. That makes it seem a closer game than it was in reality.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The highlights weren't a reflection of the game but there was a lot of half chances we created that - if I'm being charitable - probably werent the easiest to fit into a highlights package. In refereeing and production there has always been a big club bias which I've just got used to.

I've got more of an issue with Sky picking Bournemouth v Brentford as the 5.30 KO when Everton v Southampton or us V Liverpool (especially after the previous 3-3) were much better games. Who wants to watch that shit?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
PS
Was this the MOTD v Everton where Ian Wight said “everything about them - Albion - is magnificent “ and praised Evan Ferguson at length

You need to watch it again. While Wright said that, there was no analysis.

But as I say, irritating and not worth getting annoyed about.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Watch the Sky highlights instead. Longer but the balance completely different. Both showed everything Liverpool did. Only Sky showed a fair reflection of our dominance.
I think I’m annoyed because unlike usual we actually stayed up to watch MOTD last night. Won’t bother again, particularly with the pointlessness of Lineker and Wright.

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Alarmingly sensible post. Thank you.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The problem for the MOTD editors is for all our dominance we didn’t have that many chances which were that close, especially first half, lots of forcing corners which never came to anything mostly

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The problem for the MOTD editors is for all our dominance we didn’t have that many chances which were that close, especially first half, lots of forcing corners which never came to anything mostly
We had 9 shots on target to their 2. 16 to 6 shots in total.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Your last comment is key to this: Most mainstream football coverage sees the goings on at the top six (now seven) as being of interest to the majority; The performances of all other clubs as only of interest to their fans. There is some truth in the second part as all fans complain that their clubs are not given enough attention.

The underlying complaint is really that whether their teams are good, bad or indifferent, the fans of a select few clubs are much better served than all others because the accepted paradigm is that they are the story. It's this kind of skewed understanding of football fans that gave their owners the impression that they didn't need the rest of us, but could throw their lot in with their equally feted counterparts in Europe and have the rest of us enraptured. It's a myth. The rest of us care as little about their teams as they do about ours.

Had yesterday's game been the other way around, there would have been one Brighton chance in the edit and talk only of Liverpool's brilliance. They wouldn't do that to Liverpool because they view them as one of the main characters in the EPL story and the rest of us as supporting players. It's not preciousness from Brighton fans, it's weariness with the continuation of a false narrative.

To be fair to MOTD over the last few months we've had a few player analysis'. Caicedo, mitoma, Ferguson last week. March was more of reflecting how much he's improving these last 2 years. Likewise Gross has received lots of praise for his versatility but guess it's difficult to deep analyse a player that does different brilliant things each week, lol

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I actually don't care about the analysis - sometimes they focus on one team, sometimes the other. It's the fact that the edited highlights were not in any way a reflection of the match. Not everyone has Sky. For a casual fan watching MoTD, it would've seemed like an even game, which is utterly ridiculous.

Just wish they'd shown one or two more of our sensational moves instead of every single Luverpool attack. And Sarmiento''s shot at the end, which was closer than any of their half chances.

They also waste so much time at the start with players coming on to the pitch and going through the line-ups. Just show us the action.

Terrible editing.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agreed and if you’re craving Brighton analysis/content then just yesterday

Football Focus has an in depth interview by Glenn Murray with Alexis
You can listen to the full 90 minute 5 Live radio commentary - where I assure you Brighton’s rise, RDZ tactics and the like were talked about at length
Or the post match analysis from Warren on Radio Sussex
Or Martin Keown waxing lyrical about Albions tactics on Final Score
“They were magnificent” “their style is so pleasing on the eye” . The Albion verdict on Football Daily
I'm not into all this 'Thou shalt not crave and if thou cravest thou art a needy gimp' stuff - but like many I do like to read/wstch/listen about Te Abion, so thanks for the links! :thumbsup:
It's not always easy to follow all of it at the time it's on - especially when some are on at the same time!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here