• Jeff Wood

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Hinsh

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
No, Kinky. He's a wealthy bloke anyway from property, and he stuck to selling rock after that, to the best of my knowledge. Bit of a waste, really - we were good to watch in his charge, and but for one bad run which ended with his dismissal, he was getting results too.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
The Large One said:
I don't understand how anyone can think Gritt's sacking was unfair.
Yes, 3 wins in 30 odd games was pretty appauling, any manager with that record should be sacked....

Wait now....

McGhee OUT! :clap2:

nomad_seagull

Jul 27, 2004
I particularly remember the 2-0 win over Liverpool in the FA cup at the Goldstone under Cattlin. I can still see the goals going in I even have a very grainy VHS tape with a copy of that match as it was on TV (rare for those days)

29/1/84 Sun. FAC R4 (h) W 2-0 0-0 G.Ryan, T.Connor 19,057

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Chris Catlin is a true Albion legend.

Wish there was still a place within the Albion for him now.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Chris Cattlin was well stitched up. Gritt can consider himself VERY unlucky. He was working with two hands tied behind his back, trying to motivate a team full of cast offs and 'never will be's' at a home stadium 70 miles up the road was no easy task. Sacked for a name from the past who's heart was never in the job and scooted off up North to manage a "potentially bigger club" at the first oportunity.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
The Catlin sacking was the beginning of the end of the Albion as we knew it then. I always remember the fans calling for Brian Bedson to resign in a similar but much more restrained way than they did with Archer.

It was felt that when Catlin left, the club went downhill from there. Mullery bought in Lloyd and the former was subsequently shafted when he was fired and Lloyd was made manager.

This was when Gullseye first came about and what makes me laugh when I hear Ian Hart buddying up to Barry Lloyd on SCR...considering he was partly responsible for a cartoon of an airplane crashing into BL's office at the Goldstone just after Lockerbie makes me and alot of others around at that time laugh...I think I have even got the copy in my loft!

Anyway, digressing...for me and many others Catlin leaving was the catalyst for what happened in the years ahead and ultimately you can actually track the sale of the Goldstone back to the various power struggles and backstabbing at board level after Mike Bamber :bowdown: passed away IMHO.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Mr Burns said:
Chris Cattlin by a mile.

And I still believe to this day that we had the next Brian Clough on our hands, if he wasn't shafted, I strongly believe we would have been a top Division One side (now premiership), within a year or two, and probably still there now.

The man who was responable of sacking Chris Cattlin, was the man who started the decline of Brighton & Hove Albion Football CLub, and is a 100% genuine xxxx

Agree.
Always had time for the fans as well, diamond geezer.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Storer68 said:
err not really. he simply didn't have the contacts and we HAd to keep cutting cost by stripping out the expensive (by the standards of the day) contracts.

And Knight had Brian Horton kept up his sleeve after hthe jeff Wood debacle.

Look where Gritt & Wood left that team and where a decent manager like Horton left them.

IMHO Gritt- nice chap, did a job, total legend but his time was up.

Wood took over when Horton left, Adams took over from Wood.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
he was sacked ,then he went into the North stand for the next home game to try and get fans backing and I think that was the day we beat Charlton 7-0.

Twas Sheffield Wednesday and a 3-1 defeat. We beat Charlton Athletic under Melia, but lost 5-0 to Grimsby Town shortly afterwards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here