Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Hinsh

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
The Large One said:
Looking at that list, I though Jimmy Melia resigned. Could be wrong, though.

he was sacked ,then he went into the North stand for the next home game to try and get fans backing and I think that was the day we beat Charlton 7-0.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
The Large One said:
Interesting the way Steve Gritt is thought of on here.

Well he saved us,without Gritt we would of gone down and the man was so brave to take the job on.He got loads of shite at the Goldstone when he first joined.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Dougal said:
Catlin was blamed for signing a crock in Justin Fashunu and was a factor in losing his job . . .

Was there a rumour that he went because Alan Biley was shagging his wife

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
vulture said:
he was sacked ,then he went into the North stand for the next home game to try and get fans backing and I think that was the day we beat Charlton 7-0.
I remember now - yes, he was sacked. He then embarrassed himself when made his way to the North Stand in the next home game. We lost 3-1 at home to Sheffield Wednesay.

Dandyman

In London village.
This is from the Coventry fanzine GMK and may be of interest:

" few days later I had a call from Chris Cattlin. He thanked us all for our efforts, and told me that he had had an offer from Brighton. As a parting gesture, City had now agreed to play a testimonial match for him, but at Brighton, not Highfield Road. He invited us to attend as his guests.

Chris had a good first season at Brighton, helping them to promotion to the old Second Division. At the end of the season came the testimonial with City taking a strong team to the Goldstone Ground. From our point of view it was one of the best away trips of all time, and we certainly had a few to remember.

We stayed for three nights at the Granville Hotel, on the seafront at Brighton, which at that time was owned by Bill Glazier. Bill was the perfect host and we spent many hours reminiscing about his years with City.

The night of the testimonial game was memorable too. Chris provided us with the best seats, and looked at his best as Brighton beat City comfortably, 3-1. Gordon Milne, miserable to the last, refused to allow the City players to attend the post match function.

We were invited guests, of course, and the event was held in a private club in a select area of Brighton. We partied till the small hours with Chris and his wife and the rest of the Brighton players, including captain Brian Horton and Peter Ward who had just been called into the England squad. We staggered back to the hotel with a well-oiled Bill Glazier.

Chris Cattlin set himself up in business on Brighton seafront, with a shop selling rock and novelties. He remains there to this day. There was still a twist in the tale, as after he retired he did some coaching at Brighton. Suddenly he found himself manager, the team having been briefly in Division 1 and FA Cup Finalists.

He remained there for three years until 1986 when he was unjustly sacked, to allow Alan Mullery to return as manager. We were not surprised to hear that the Brighton fans held a rally in Hove Park to have him reinstated. Alas he never was, and for a second time he was treated disgracefully by a club he had given his all for.

I have visited Brighton a few times since and always looked in on Chris for a chat. He is as enthusiastic as ever.

But he never returned to Brighton, or to City, and it is to the shame of both clubs that one of their enduring heroes has been all but forgotten. At least the fans who were around then still hold him in the highest regard. "

vulture said:
Trigger,Gritt saved us had to move on his 4 best players to cut costs,could bring in no new players,I thought it was the only time that Dick Knight was out of order as chairman when he sacked gritt

err not really. he simply didn't have the contacts and we HAd to keep cutting cost by stripping out the expensive (by the standards of the day) contracts.

And Knight had Brian Horton kept up his sleeve after hthe jeff Wood debacle.

Look where Gritt & Wood left that team and where a decent manager like Horton left them.

IMHO Gritt- nice chap, did a job, total legend but his time was up.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Whilst I totally agree with the views on Chris Cattlin (and voted for him myself in the poll) an honourable mention must go to Mike Bailey. Took us to our highest ever final league placing (13th in old old first division). It went a bit pear-shaped the following season when we started playing boring football AND losing. The board panicked and sacked him, replacing him with Coco the Clown. It's a bit sad that the general perception is that Bailey's team got relegated and Melia's team reached the Cup Final.

Be nice if CC could get incolved with the club again in some capacity.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Re: Re: Most Unfair sacking of a Brighton Manger since 1982

Gritt23 said:
Despite my deep love for the man, it's not Gritt, it simply HAS to be Chris Catlin. I even went on a protest march about his sacking.

He discovered Dean Saunders, we had a great season, QF of the FA Cup, but we sacked him! Brighton through and through, scandalous. I'm angry thinking about it now.

Then we got Barry Lloyd ... :thud:

And Barry Lloyd dropped Dean Saunders for.......Richard Tiltman.

Saunders said at his time of leaving that 'If I'm dropped in favour of a player of Tiltman's calibre, then its clear the manager dosen't rate me'

Saunders when onto play for Derby, Oxford and Liverpool commanding fees of over a million pounds.

Tiltman was last seen selling insurance.

How on earth did Lloyd get us anywhere near what is now the Premiership in 1992?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Sacking Mike Bailey was a f***ing disgrace. Ok so we didnt play brilliant football but he turned us into a side that was rarely beaten ( 13th in the first division that was) and the board got rid of him because the crowd wanted flashy football - that eventually got us relegated!

cattlin's demise was also a f***ing disgrace

I cant really pick between the two.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm with you Dave, but being a year or two ;) younger I only really remember CC so he got my vote.

if Chris had lived in a cave from then until now he'd still be able to do a better job than the current set up :angry:

D

Deleted User X18H

I said it before and I will say it again somwhen in March/April 1986 Catltin was caought shagging someones' wife, that someone was somthing to do the Albion ,player or staff we will never know.........

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Re: Re: Re: Most Unfair sacking of a Brighton Manger since 1982

Hannibal smith said:
And Barry Lloyd dropped Dean Saunders for.......Richard Tiltman.

Saunders said at his time of leaving that 'If I'm dropped in favour of a player of Tiltman's calibre, then its clear the manager dosen't rate me'

Saunders when onto play for Derby, Oxford and Liverpool commanding fees of over a million pounds.

Tiltman was last seen selling insurance.

How on earth did Lloyd get us anywhere near what is now the Premiership in 1992?
I was never a big fan, but in all fairness to Barry LLoyd, Saunders was sold by Barclays Bank. The club needed 60k to pay the bank, and MArk Lawrenson at Oxford put in a cheeky bid, and even though Brighton and LLoyd would have laughed it off, BArclays made them sell.

I also remember when working for Barclays in the vaults at North Street, reading the information card on the Albion from that sort of period. A classic line I will always remember was something like "Brighton's biggest asset is at this time Robert Codner. Liverpool seems interested and may met the asking price of £850,000". That was a year or two before he left. How I wish I'd nicked that information now, and not just read it. It was quite a thick document about 30 or 40 sheets of card , full up both side with typed word. It made you wonder what drugs the then Albion board and Barclays manager were on at the time!

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dies Irae said:
Sacking Mike Bailey was a f***ing disgrace. Ok so we didnt play brilliant football but he turned us into a side that was rarely beaten ( 13th in the first division that was) and the board got rid of him because the crowd wanted flashy football - that eventually got us relegated!

cattlin's demise was also a f***ing disgrace

I cant really pick between the two.

I must agree to sack Bailey because 'the way we played was boring' was total injustice. At one time he had us 7th in what is now the Premier League by getting 1 -0 wins and 0-0 draws. How we could have done with those results last season.

There was talk of Chris Catlin being part of a consortium trying to buy the club some time ago

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
hove born&bred said:
I said it before and I will say it again somwhen in March/April 1986 Catltin was caought shagging someones' wife, that someone was somthing to do the Albion ,player or staff we will never know.........

knowing Chris in a business sense, I assume you have proof putting that on here.

Gets out his " How to Sue someone making outrageous slanderous and libellous statements " book and phoning the travel agents and booking a holiday to the Virgin Isles on the proceeds of the damages award that will surely follow

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Out of interest TLO what is it that you dont like about Gritt?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here