Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most likeable/dislikeable manager in the Football League

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Got no problem with Adkins, if anything I think he is underrated by a lot of people. Always liked Brendan Rodgers for his ability to talk nonsense which he now seems to be backing up with results.

Can't stand Billy Davies for his excuses. The guy could commit genocide and it would still somehow be somebody else fault other than his own. Big Sam is also a complete wally for thinking he is some managerial God when in fact all he is is a northern slob. And don't even get me started on the peoples choice Harry Redknapp

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Having dealt with many of them professionally, I think it's fair to say that what you see on TV and on the touchline is more or less what you get, with one or two exceptions.

Nigel Adkins surprised me. Yes, he comes across as a total *rs* but is actually okay away from the post-match stuff. Under that smug exterior he actually hasn't forgotten that he was a lower-league player and non-League manager. Harry Redknapp is everyone's mate and beloved of us in the meejah because he's so quotable, but he can be very abrasive at times. For example, in his book he says he never met Velimir Zajec, the guy Mandaric brought in over his head at Portsmouth as director of football, but I was there the day he did. Afterwards he lost his rag with everyone, including some of his old mates, and gave some real vintage Ferguson-style hair-dryer treatment to a bloke from the Press Association. Pardew is the great enigma. He seems such an ordinary, down-to-earth bloke when you meet him, but then you hear about all the other stuff ...

Since the OP was about Football League managers, likeable: Sean Dyche - really funny and intelligent guy; Russell Slade - don't know anyone with a bad word to say about him; Uwe Rosler - will go far; Chris Powell - nicest man in football; perhaps too nice to have survived as a manager.

Dislikeable: James Beattie - be nice to people on the way up, mate, we don't forget; Karl Robinson - not sure there's a scale long enough to measure how much he loves himself; Billy Davies - a nation rejoices.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Pardew is the great enigma. He seems such an ordinary, down-to-earth bloke when you meet him, but then you hear about all the other stuff ...

*lights pipe, reclines into leather chair* Do go on...there's the headbutting of course...

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Like - Uwe Rosler, Sean Dyche, Kenny Jackett
Dislike - Colin Wanker, Billy Davies, Ian Holloway and Jose Mourinho (Yes, he isnt a Football League manager, but his ego is that big, he can be featured in this)

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Surprised no one has mentioned big fat Steve. I've spoken with a pro footballer who has previously played under him and he is apparently as horrible and odious as he comes across.

As for likeable Nigel Clough, dyche comes across well and I've always liked Gordon Strachan albeit he is now international.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Dislikeable: James Beattie - be nice to people on the way up, mate, we don't forget; Karl Robinson - not sure there's a scale long enough to measure how much he loves himself; Billy Davies - a nation rejoices.

It's heartening to learn directly from a member of our esteemed media that Robinson is as much of a cock as I've always imagined him to be. Thanks :thumbsup:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
@NotAndyNaylor - I'd be fascinated to know what your experiences are of Neil Warnock (traditionally unpopular but I quite like him) and Ian Holloway (seems to be media favourite: I think he's a precious idiot).

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Russell Slade seems like a top bloke and really hope Orient get promoted so he will (most likely) get a chance to manage at the Amex and take in the applause he would deserve.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
No one comes (or came) close to Billy Davies.

As for likeable managers, Martinez, Dyche, Pearson, Steve Bruce (funnily enough), Rosler, McClaren, Nigel Clough....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here