Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most hated albion players

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Teddy Maybank
Andy Kennedy
Mark Farringdon (100k from Feyenoord was a big deal at the time)

Obika obviously, but covered in OP

Farringdon was an expensive flop. Terrible waste of money when we were careering towards bankruptcy...

There was an ironic support for Andy Kennedy, who in my view, was treated a bit harshly. His ungainly style didn't help. On the way to Old Trafford for the 1993 Cup final fixture, a Scottish Manc jibed to me: 'You will win, you've got Andy Kennedy!'

I can't hate any players, but wasn't very keen on Paul Kitson!

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Like most posters, I can't bring myself to hate anyone who has worn the stripes. Players who weren't good enough or disappointed, well that is nowhere near sufficient reason to hate.

However, I would make an exception for Mr John Gregory........both as a player for us and subsequently. Arrogant x*@!

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I'm not sure I've ever hated a Brighton player, but Gary Chivers, for no reason whatsoever, made me angry.

Sorry Hillian1 each to their own I know, but I love Gary Chivers. I read a brilliant interview with him recently and his stories of his times at the Albion are amazing. Particualrly one about the Albion playing at Pompey on tv on an awful pitch that was one half mud one half rock hard ice. The ref told the captains they'd do the coin toss in the changing rooms so the players could pick moulded or screw in studs depending on what way they were kicking and then they'd do a "fake" coin toss on the pitch for the tv cameras. Albion lost the toss in the changing rooms, and when they did the fake one on the pitch Chivers won it and told the teams to swap round. When the ref said "come on Gary we've already done the toss", Chivers replied, "Oh I see, is this how it's going to be, we haven't even kicked off yet and you're already cheating". The ref then proceeded to give everything to the Albion for the first half hour as he didn't want to look like he was cheating.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
As already said hate is a strong word. Mark Farrington has to be the biggest flop ever, codner could have been good if he could be bothered (remember a cracking goal at Plymouth) colin stant was aoways good entertainment, I remember giving gim stick all game and he scored!!!

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
I remember a game at the Goldstone, 1990 I think, when there was a minutes silence being held. After about 30 seconds of absolute silence a sole voice rang out "F*ck off Codnor!"

It was the bloke next to me, circa 91-92, and he said "When are you going back to the Barnet, Codner?" - to which there were several laughs...

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
El Abd was hated by many people on here before Gus turned his game around.

Hammond seems to be disliked by a number of people as well.

I never really liked Martin Hinshlewood. Pompey Scum and always seemed very creepy.

Oct 25, 2003
my least favourite players have been:

Alex Revell
Tommy Fraser
Ryan Harley
Stephen Dobbie
Graeme Smith

don't hate any of them though....just found them annoying as footballers

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The worst I've seen:
Hoyte, Agustien (in the vast majority of games), Graeme Smith, Harley
Probably many in the Barry Lloyd era ... too many to mention.

Hated:
Possibly those who left the club on their terms, then slagged the Albion off - Leon knight

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Like most posters, I can't bring myself to hate anyone who has worn the stripes. Players who weren't good enough or disappointed, well that is nowhere near sufficient reason to hate.

Excellent point. We didn't wear stripes when Micky Thomas played, so I can still hate him.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Robert Codnor won't be knocked of this perch!.

In one home game he scored, He came back to taunt the fans who were always on his back, They all gave him the :tosser:

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Paul kitson was pretty annoying.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm not sure about 'hate' but Micky Thomas was a skiving, lazy, git.

This, and yes I did hate him. He was a cheat when he first played at Wrexham and I disliked him then, even worse when he played for Manure and hated when we signed him. He could have scored a hatful of goals but he would still have been an obnoxious prick.

Plenty of players I have disliked but he is the only one I have hated.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Mark Walton used to get a lot of stick from certain sections of the crowd. Unfairly in my view.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here