Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most embaressing football related moment.

Jul 7, 2003
I have recounted this on here before so apologies to anyone who read this previously.

I was playing in goal in an away game against Ford United - the Ford Prison football team - who used to play in the West Sussex league. We got on okay with them generally - even played pre-season friendlies against them - and, to help our relations with them I used to replace my usual keepers bag with a carrier bag and the team would contribute cigarettes which would be left for their keeper to pick up at the end of the match.

Anyway, we were going for the league title one year and had a vital game at their place. The weather was nice so the inmates were allowed out to watch the game. They massed along the touchlines and also behind my goal. We started the game really badly and were 2-0 down in the first 10 minutes. Without considering my whereabouts, I berated my team mates with a very large shout of "come on boys, play with some conviction!"

As you can imagine, my ill chosen words did not go down well with those 'supporters' massed behind my goal. I thought I would try to placate them by offering some form of apology but only made matters worse my turning round and saying to the baying crowd "no offence lads".

It is fair to say that the following 35 minutes until half time were somewhat uncomfortable for me. I spent a lot of time on the edge of the penalty box and dreaded every goal kick.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I was playing five a side for the first time in about 20 years for a team from work a few years back. It was in Everton, a not particularly nice part of Liverpool, at one of those places that have about 10 pitches all together and we were on an outside one.

The team on one of the inside pitches managed to put the ball over the fence on to our pitch. I was in goal and the ball was in play so I quickly went to grab their ball and kick it back over the fence. Unfortunately I sliced it and hoofed it straight out of the complex and into the main road! It was their only ball so we had to lend them ours whilst I quickly made the very long round trip round the back of the complex to retrieve said ball.

The look on their faces as their ball sailed over the fence was a picture!

I haven't played since.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Watching:

Being in charge of the ball boys when Keith Cuss was away one weekend in 1984/5. Frank Worthington couldn't find his jockstrap so I had half a dozen twelve year old boys hunting for it in the home team changing room.

Playing:

Arranged match for Albion Supporters XI v Oldham Supporters XI at Boundary Park when they used to have a plastic pitch. Match kicked off at 12:45 and towards the end of the match there were quite a few in attendance. In the 90th minute I managed to slot one in, flicked a 'V' sign at the Oldham end and ran the whole length of the pitch to celebrate in front of the Albion fans...........whilst Oldham casually took a free kick as the ref had ruled my effort offside.

Last edited:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Watching - probably the Cheltenham game in 2007. Before the game, left my clothes in the pub, along with match ticket and money. During the game, fell over onto some old boy in front, cutting my head. After the game, left my phone and money in the pub. Drink had been taken.

Pics?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Finding myself watching Bath v Leicester when I was supposed to be at Bristol Rovers v The Albion. 5 minutes before kick off, drinking beer on the terrace, wondering how they were going to set the pitch up in time.The teams came out and I commented that there were rather a lot of them, I didn't like the kit etc.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Walking back down the Kippax stand having just bought a pie, being given dog's abuse by City's finest I fell over due to being Brahms & Liszt & managed to land with face in pie.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Playing: Getting subbed off after 30 minutes.
I was left marking 3 players during a corner.
1 of the 3 scored whilst my team-mates ran around like headless chickens not knowing what they're supposed to do when defending a corner.
This happened twice.

Watching: The remaining 60 minutes of the above game where my team got humiliated.

Justice.

Sounds like defending from a Brighton corner! :)

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Playing in a semi-final a few years back. We were leading 1-0 and I thought one of our players was fouled out on the left. I heard an imaginary whistle and caught the cross that came in. Trouble was, I wasn't the keeper.

They scored from the penalty and we went on to lose 4-1. Still reminded of that to this day but not the 221 goals I scored for them.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Playing for Ferring, had the last defender to beat, so I dropped my shoulder to dummy him to the right, he did not move, so dummies to the left, he still made no move, then I fell over to the amusement of all team, they still mention it now 30 years later.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here