Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most embaressing football related moment.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Playing - Frankly, my entire playing career was an embarrassment. I was total pants. I suppose the worst incident was when I was playing CB and took a FK following a foul on me. I ran up, missed the ball, stubbed my toe on the ground and had to be subbed off.

Watching - knocking over and then trampling on a toddler as I was pushed down the North Stand terrace after we'd just scored. The kid's dad was fine with it, but I was mortified.

Officiating - Flagging for offside from a throw-in. :facepalm:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Playing - let the guy I was marking head the winner from a corner in ET of a cup game QF. Despite being 6'2" I never was any good in the air.

Watching - the last time we played at Stockport, managed to trip and head butt the dry stone wall surrounding Edgeley Park. Knocked myself out and spent the first half in an ambulance trying to persuade them I didn't need to go to A+E despite the massive haematoma on my forehead. Managed to get in free for the 2nd half and witness our late equaliser. But boy did I have a headache.

PG

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Playing scoring my only senior goal in adult football ,then running round like a fool doing a somersault and full knee slide only too see the linesman's flag raised for offside .

Watching a trip to Northampton a few years back ,been on the beer since 10 and had an argument with a mate. I was hurling all sorts of abuse at him ,rather than take the steps down to the ticket office i took a short cut down a grass bank and lost my footing slid down the bank and ended up in a muddy heap.

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Playing - running out at Petersfield United to be faced with a little fat bloke at sweeper. Took the piss, along with my team mates, but then had to eat our words. It was Bobby Stokes and we literally couldn't get the ball off him the whole game. Different class.

Watching - probably the Cheltenham game in 2007. Before the game, left my clothes in the pub, along with match ticket and money. During the game, fell over onto some old boy in front, cutting my head. After the game, left my phone and money in the pub. Drink had been taken.
That was a grand day out.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
There were some cracking nicknames in that team. I was The Rock after that incident while a former keeper was simply known as "ornament"

I was "Intercept" - short for intercept missile. I was rather speedy and strong in the tackle.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Playing - Our opponents hadn't turned up, nor had the opponents for the team on the adjacent pitch, so we agreed to play a friendly. They were several classes above us, so one of the players went off to even things a bit. I was playing CB (normally an FB but we were short) and I didn't get close to their striker all afternoon. We decided to call it a day about 15 minutes early when we were 17-0 down. (Amazingly, I played CB the following week too and we won 13-0 but I went back to FB after that)

Watching - The ball flew into the crowd at Priestfield: rather than throwing it back, I decided to volley it. It flew off my foot straight into the face of the bloke to the next of me. There were howls of laughter around me - but not from the guy with the sore boat. I wanted to hide but the sparse crowd made that impossible

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Playing = A local railway charity match at the dripping pan , ball went out for our throw in , the lino stuck his flag up the other way , i shouted a neverending tirade of mr magoo abuse at said lino , it was only at the end of the tirade did i realise the Lino was in fact our company production manager , Awkward .

Watching. Quite a bit of wee came out on its own for some reason on a coach trip on the way up to watch us play York , 1st time i can remember sitting in a different seat on the way home .

phoenix

May 18, 2009
2 own goals in 1 match, Now that takes some beating!

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
Playing: made a perfect sliding tackle through a heap of cow dung changing club colours from yellow to yellow/brown; doesn't happen very often, even in Polish lower leagues, but it had to happen to me.

Watching: regional Polish Cup qualifications 1992... maybe 1993, so-called "high-risk" game, so a full company of police under our sector with anti-riot equipment, dogs etc., and I thought it would be rather wise and entertaining to throw a couple of petards towards the police--I managed to throw one and was hit by the water cannon before I managed to throw the second; I was soaking wet and the temperature was about 2 degrees Celsius. I learnt a very important lesson then (i.e. only throw petards at police when it's a warm day ;)).

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Came on as sub for last ten minutes of a cup semi final we were winning 1-0. Within a minute they equalise, through me knocking it in at the far post, under no presurre,about a yard out whilst trying to play it out for a corner. Heads dropped, we lost 3-1. I was not popular in the dressing room after.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Playing: made a perfect sliding tackle through a heap of cow dung changing club colours from yellow to yellow/brown; doesn't happen very often, even in Polish lower leagues, but it had to happen to me.

Watching: regional Polish Cup qualifications 1992... maybe 1993, so-called "high-risk" game, so a full company of police under our sector with anti-riot equipment, dogs etc., and I thought it would be rather wise and entertaining to throw a couple of petards towards the police--I managed to throw one and was hit by the water cannon before I managed to throw the second; I was soaking wet and the temperature was about 2 degrees Celsius. I learnt a very important lesson then (i.e. only throw petards at police when it's a warm day ;)).

Hoist by your own petard :lolol:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Notts County at Wembley 1991 was an embarrassment.
Personally, I only have memories of cutting in from the right wing at speed and scoring a few goals inside the near post as the goalie rushed out. The memories have deserted me of the other 98% of playing time, standing around like a lemon waiting for the ball, instead of getting involved in the game.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
In my early twenties I was ejected from Smellhurst while watching a Man Utd match for being drunk and disorderly. I pleaded with the police to let me back in claiming that I was not a trouble maker cos I was wearing desert boots.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Playing (as a Goalkeeper):
1. Letting in a goal scored by the other keeper - the ferocious Waterhall wind carried the ball over my head after the first bounce. We went on to win though which was most unusual.
2. Letting the ball through my legs playing in a kids game before a friendly in front of the South Stand at the Goldstone - only the cloying sand in the goalmouth saved it going in.

Watching
Walking into a lampost outside the ground when going to Wolves away in the late 70s - had a black eye all through Christmas - but it was a vintage Wardy Winter Wonderland as the great man scored a hatrick on an Ice Rink of a pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here