Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Most Boring Team in the Prem?

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Man City. Not because the football they play is poor but because they play the same way all the time.

"Oh, you've had 80% possession and won 6-0? Wow. Just like last week then."

You have a point. Still probably not boring for their fans though

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Yeah we did but we got absolutely destroyed by opposition fans and media for doing it. Palace, Burnley, Newcastle all do it and nothing gets said.. And they all have/ had more attacking players than us.

Newcastle even shut up shop against us at Amex last season - they were totally, 100% safe from relegation, but still parked the bus. No desire to attack. Bizarre.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Newcastle even shut up shop against us at Amex last season - they were totally, 100% safe from relegation, but still parked the bus. No desire to attack. Bizarre.

They did home and away last season. They'll do it again on Saturday except maybe press a bit more with Fraser Wilson and ASM up front. Like Palace they have the forward players to be more exciting but still put everyone behind the ball.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
They did home and away last season. They'll do it again on Saturday except maybe press a bit more with Fraser Wilson and ASM up front. Like Palace they have the forward players to be more exciting but still put everyone behind the ball.

Their manager was a defender . . . . I doubt he knows anything else

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
It’s like the big club debate, depends how you measure boring - style of play, how much soul/character in the team, manager, fans, stadium, the club ethos...etc.

Anyway, the answer is always Everton, total non-fixture even for Liverpool, just boring from top to bottom, the kits, the players (and that has never changed going back to 1878, the blip that was the great white hope, I mean thug, Duncan Ferguson notwithstanding, who is in any case cancelled out by the great white 80s hope, I mean dullard, Adrian Heath), the managers (Moyes, Howard Kendall, Walter Smith, Joe Royle, Ancelotti), the stadium, even with the church, perennially placed 6-8th in the league blah, blahzzzzzzzzz

el punal

I remember leaving Molineux that season and in that tunnel some Wolves fans asking us how we could pay to watch that every week? All I could manage was a vague “support our local team, thick and thin” and “got the point we needed” response.

The same thing happened when we visited Tottenham a few days later. I don’t think we crossed the halfway line in the first half hour. Queuing up for the train at Northumberland Park I just got a torrent of abuse from Spurs fans about our negative performance. Like you, I said “needs must we’re fighting relegation”. To be honest they were right, we were dire, but not quite as awful as the performances against Bournemouth and Cardiff. How the hell we managed to avoid the drop that season I’ll never know - probably the one and only time I’ll ever be grateful to Palace for beating Cardiff and ensuring our safety.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
The same thing happened when we visited Tottenham a few days later. I don’t think we crossed the halfway line in the first half hour. Queuing up for the train at Northumberland Park I just got a torrent of abuse from Spurs fans about our negative performance. Like you, I said “needs must we’re fighting relegation”. To be honest they were right, we were dire, but not quite as awful as the performances against Bournemouth and Cardiff. How the hell we managed to avoid the drop that season I’ll never know - probably the one and only time I’ll ever be grateful to Palace for beating Cardiff and ensuring our safety.

It kind of puts into perspective how much we've changed our style

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
It is Palace unless and until the senile old woman starts playing his new youngsters before he coaches flair out of them.

Their low goal count especially at home with their conservative attacking approach must be grim for STHs. At least they are being spared it at the moment.

Their weekend win had everything of an away 'smash and grab' feel to it. Valuable points though.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It’s like the big club debate, depends how you measure boring - style of play, how much soul/character in the team, manager, fans, stadium, the club ethos...etc.

Anyway, the answer is always Everton, total non-fixture even for Liverpool, just boring from top to bottom, the kits, the players (and that has never changed going back to 1878, the blip that was the great white hope, I mean thug, Duncan Ferguson notwithstanding, who is in any case cancelled out by the great white 80s hope, I mean dullard, Adrian Heath), the managers (Moyes, Howard Kendall, Walter Smith, Joe Royle, Ancelotti), the stadium, even with the church, perennially placed 6-8th in the league blah, blahzzzzzzzzz

Excellent defensive displays.

Should have taken the lead against Spurs in the first half hour, think it was Andone who didn’t get his shot away.

Wolves away was ultra defensive other than one Kayal shot. However as you say needs must, and my recollection was the team being given a great ovation at the end.

Not great for the Wolves fans, but then break us down there’s more than one way to play football.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Now that the novelty has worn off I think Sheffield United will be dreadful, boring and get relegated.

#DoingaHuddersfield

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Maybe later under Hughton, but I wouldn’t consider dominating Chelsea the other night boring.

Not very clinical yes, but not boring. Always trying to pass out from the back, wingbacks bombing on. I enjoyed it.

I think [MENTION=33885]Badger Boy[/MENTION]'s point was that calling Palace boring will have a hollow ring about it if they end up (as they usually do) safe on 45+ points while we are languishing, all plucky, in the bottom 3.

Far too many threads about Palace and Leeds lately. Not only is it illusory hauteur, it is borderline tin pot :shrug:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I think [MENTION=33885]Badger Boy[/MENTION]'s point was that calling Palace boring will have a hollow ring about it if they end up (as they usually do) safe on 45+ points while we are languishing, all plucky, in the bottom 3.

We have never been in the bottom 3 of the premier league, hopefully that won't change this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here