Mortgages

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
I get satisfaction in helping my clients as best as I can. Same as any other business. Been doing this for 24 years now. Always do my best.

Sorry US, think I may have misquoted/replied to a post there!
As it goes, I have only heard good things about your services from friends tho'!:smile:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sorry US, think I may have misquoted/replied to a post there!
As it goes, I have only heard good things about your services from friends tho'!:smile:

No problem.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Inaccurate assessment

It's a very accurate assessment unfortunately. If US is regulated by the FCA then there is a code of conduct with regards to giving investment advice. Even informal advice such as given in this thread needs to be considered. If someone acts on what US has suggested and it goes tits up then he's in hot water and I suspect his indemnity insurers might have something to say about free advice given over an internet forum.

http://www.fca.org.uk/firms/firm-types/financial-adviser

It's a very accurate assessment unfortunately. If US is regulated by the FCA then there is a code of conduct with regards to giving investment advice. Even informal advice such as given in this thread needs to be considered. If someone acts on what US has suggested and it goes tits up then he's in hot water and I suspect his indemnity insurers might have something to say about free advice given over an internet forum.

http://www.fca.org.uk/firms/firm-types/financial-adviser

Fair enough but is Gareth an IFA?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Fair enough but is Gareth an IFA?

If he arranges mortgages and he's not regulated by the FCA then I'd be very surprised.

http://www.fca.org.uk/firms/financial-services-products/mortgages

From the FCA website as per link:

The products we regulate are:

Residential mortgages. This includes any mortgage or loan secured with a first charge on your home. We do not regulate buy-to-let mortgages.
Home Purchase Plans
Home Reversion Plans
Sale and Rent Back
Bridging loans, but only if they are secured with a first charge
Make sure you have the correct permissions from us before you get involved in providing, administering or selling any of these products.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Honestly, I'm not trying to pee on anyone's parade. Just a bit of friendly advice! There's a reason why those TV and radio adverts all have disclaimers.....

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Honestly, I'm not trying to pee on anyone's parade. Just a bit of friendly advice! There's a reason why those TV and radio adverts all have disclaimers.....

You may have swallowed the rulebook, BUT it doesn't mean you understand the difference between advice & simple product description

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You may have swallowed the rulebook, BUT it doesn't mean you understand the difference between advice & simple product description

Is this simple product description?

Unless you want to sell within 5 years and not buy again, the 5 year fixed imo is a definate from those 2 options. Metro Bank will do 3.09% fixed for 5 years with a free survey and free legals. * generic depends on circumstances *

I think not.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Doom mongers including the IMF (and resentful savers) has been saying that interest rates are going to increase soon, for several years now, and all proved wrong. Illustrations provided by mortgage companies/consultants have to warn of increased rates. But if rates do rise, it won't be any time soon, and there is nothing to suggest that if and when they do, that they will increase significantly.

This is the worst 'advice' on here - with talk of an over-heating housing market and pundits now saying interest rates could move upwards much sooner than the predicted rises in spring of 2015 I would respectfully suggest this chap is taking tosh!!

Take the fix!

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
This is the worst 'advice' on here - with talk of an over-heating housing market and pundits now saying interest rates could move upwards much sooner than the predicted rises in spring of 2015 I would respectfully suggest this chap is taking tosh!!

Take the fix!

This is in no way advice or related to the original question but in response to this comment only. The housing market is moving yes but is not at a bubble yet, prior to that there are many things that can be done - reduction in help to buy etc.

With the current votes all going with no rise even though we did hit a KPI for a rise with unemployment then the chances of a rise is slim, we have just seen a cut in the euro zone which I think it unlikely that we will go against that, there are still other ways to stimulate the economy which the committee previously said they wanted to explore without rate rises. In simple terms there are so many people on trackers and SMEs on variable rates that even a small rise could be disastrous to the growth which the committee and government crave so much

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
imo, anyone tying themself to a £111,000 (+ another 70% or so) debt for the next 14years is mad.

saying that the UK IR is going to go up starting next year - this is not the time to max oneself out with a mortgage.

banks will be the new estate agents in 4 years.

Actually it depends on the affordability doesn't it - if he's earning £20k a year it could be a problem but if he's earning £70k it shouldn't be! Should it?!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Take the fix!

As I pointed out in an earlier post; Carney has said there are other tools available to cool the over-heating housing market. He has also said the economy is still very fragile. If housing needs cooling then why would he up interest rates and wallop the rest of the economy as well? Does not make sense to me. I guess he will look elsewhere to put a lid on house prices.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
As I pointed out in an earlier post; Carney has said there are other tools available to cool the over-heating housing market. He has also said the economy is still very fragile. If housing needs cooling then why would he up interest rates and wallop the rest of the economy as well? Does not make sense to me. I guess he will look elsewhere to put a lid on house prices.

Exactly and the quick easy fix is around the help to buy schemes, one cause of the last bubble was cheap credit especially at the 100% or above loan to value range so moving the possible LTV to 95% is pushing the boundaries again.

Rates will rise at some point I am sure but it could be 15-20 years before we go back to a "normal" rate of around 400 bps

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The housing market has already been dampened down severely. It is called the mortgage market review.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
imo, anyone tying themself to a £111,000 (+ another 70% or so) debt for the next 14years is mad.

saying that the UK IR is going to go up starting next year - this is not the time to max oneself out with a mortgage.

banks will be the new estate agents in 4 years.

This is a bit OTT without knowing the rest of the circumstances (such as income - or affordability - and LTV). In relation to another post, it isn't necessarily the case that you can't overpay on a fixed rate mortgage - I currently do this on my fixed deal. It's quite staggering the effect additional payments have on reducing the term of the mortgage and given savings rates are so paltry, if you have any spare cash it's definitely worthwhile considering

Finally anyone giving advice on mortgages has to be authorised (ie be registered with the FCA) as mortgages are regulated products and the giving of advice is a regulated activity

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
The housing market has already been dampened down severely. It is called the mortgage market review.

You cannot be serious! (J McEnroe 1979).

Have you not noticed the incredible house price inflation over the last 12 months in the south east? I was told most of the big lenders had already been doing extra due diligence prior to the implementation of the latest rules.

I wouldn't call that having much effect and most certainly not "damping down severely".

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
You cannot be serious! (J McEnroe 1979).

Have you not noticed the incredible house price inflation over the last 12 months in the south east? I was told most of the big lenders had already been doing extra due diligence prior to the implementation of the latest rules.

I wouldn't call that having much effect and most certainly not "damping down severely".

Wait and see what the mortgage approvals are in May and following months. This reduction will feed through to the market with a dampening effect.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Fair enough. But from my own experience last week, whilst the interview is a chore, as long as you have a modicum of financial nouse, its still fairly easy to navigate/play the game. That said, whilst I'm self employed I was only looking for a modest LtV and it was a sensible income multiple.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Fair enough. But from my own experience last week, whilst the interview is a chore, as long as you have a modicum of financial nouse, its still fairly easy to navigate/play the game. That said, whilst I'm self employed I was only looking for a modest LtV and it was a sensible income multiple.

Mortgage approvals

March 70000
April 62000
MMR 26/4
May ?

We will see.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
US is absolutely spot on here which as a mortgage advisor with his finger on pulse I would expect him to be - Jan-May, transaction volumes (and prices) definitely large hinting at a small bubble but in last 6 weeks there has been a very definite slow down and the Mortgage Review is behind that - the banks simply cannot process the applications efficiently now so things are taking longer. Without a healthy property market this City would struggle big time as there is no doubt in my experience that it is almost exclusively property that drives the feel good factor here. Carney and the Bank should focus on central London, that's where the crazy prices are happening, but down here (and like most of the country) I'd say prices are a little bit above average but even if we had a small crash again, I doubt anyone buying now would be much out of pocket. Classic supply and demand this city, loads of demand, not enough supply hence we will always have a property market that keeps on going through the inevitable cycle of booms and busts. Interest rate rises, whilst painful, don't really have a massive impact for this reason i think but for those wanting certainty there are some great deals out there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports