Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Morrissey, sort it out have you lost the plot.... Tom Jones & Cliff Richard !!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Not a fan of the man or his music. But glad he is ours, a true British eccentric.

We randomly went to see Neil Diamond (yes I know) many years ago and even the Daily Mail reading audience were embarressed by his patriotic nonsense.

I'd know who I'd rather have.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
That's pretty much my point

Not really but carry on.

If it helps, the first reason you've related for Marr dreading getting Morrissey's lyrics has no foundation either: Marr has repeatedly expressed his admiration for the lyrics, how exciting it was to hear them for the first time over his music and how he and Morrissey inspired each other with their music and lyrics respectively etc.

It's no big deal but what you heard appears to be wrong by all accounts I'm aware of.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Pull the other one - his music contains "tunes" to slit your wrists to. Droning and untuneful - awful.

PS - I know I'll be in the minority on this one !

Oh no you wont!

I saw Tom Jones at the MGM Grand Las Vegas, ok it was some time ago but he was fantastic.
I have seen many live performances over the years by top groups and artists Tom is easily up there with the best and he has still got it today as recent TV programmes have shown.
It was a great night his band were outstanding the Vegas crowd going mad and Mohammed Ali stood up and waved to the crowd.
Tom Jones is a legend who quite frankly should not be on the same stage as Morrissey especially as a guest.
Never liked Richards he should have stayed with his first job as a London bus driver.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I saw Tom Jones at the MGM Grand Las Vegas, ok it was some time ago but he was fantastic.
It was a great night his band were outstanding the Vegas crowd going mad and Mohammed Ali stood up and waved to the crowd.
Tom Jones is a legend who quite frankly should not be on the same stage as Morrissey especially as a guest.

SNAP! SawTJ at he MGM too in about 2000. Didn't intend to, Siegfried & Roy tickets unavailable but thought it was great.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not really but carry on.

If it helps, the first reason you've related for Marr dreading getting Morrissey's lyrics has no foundation either: Marr has repeatedly expressed his admiration for the lyrics, how exciting it was to hear them for the first time over his music and how he and Morrissey inspired each other with their music and lyrics respectively etc.

It's no big deal but what you heard appears to be wrong by all accounts I'm aware of.

OK, then , I'm wrong on all accounts. I have no interest or knowledge of The Smiths/Morrissey/Marr other than the fact that Morrissey is an Olympic standard bell end. My understanding of the situation is obviously wrong and I will withdraw to the sanctuary of my attic where I will commit ritual seppuku with a Biro. The angst of my guilt over my immolation will be transcribed and will hopefully be on Morrisseys next album ..... if it can be musically interpreted. If not, I hope it will still be on his next album anyway just to irritate him .

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
OK, then , I'm wrong on all accounts. I have no interest or knowledge of The Smiths/Morrissey/Marr other than the fact that Morrissey is an Olympic standard bell end. My understanding of the situation is obviously wrong and I will withdraw to the sanctuary of my attic where I will commit ritual seppuku with a Biro. The angst of my guilt over my immolation will be transcribed and will hopefully be on Morrisseys next album ..... if it can be musically interpreted. If not, I hope it will still be on his next album anyway just to irritate him .

Bravo. Good luck with that then.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Morrissey comes across as an absolute tool and his music is dreadfully dreary. Expect people will go and see Tom and Cliff and then leave when Morrissey comes on stage.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I'm frankly stunned by this thread, I understand he's an attention seeking old queen who rubs many up the wrong way with his politics but come on, his music stands the test of the time surely? The Smiths are continually and rightfully eulogised as one of England's finest ever bands, and whilst his solo work had initially lacked a certain edge, his last 3 albums since 2004 - You Are The Quarry, Ringleader Of The Tormentors and Years Of Refusal - have shown a glorious return to form of his biting wit and songwriting prowess which I'd dare to suggest would surpass the last 3 albums in a row from pretty much any act still going today who were around and killing it in the 80's, IMHO. On ya Mozzer!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I'm frankly stunned by this thread, I understand he's an attention seeking old queen who rubs many up the wrong way with his politics but come on, his music stands the test of the time surely? The Smiths are continually and rightfully eulogised as one of England's finest ever bands, and whilst his solo work had initially lacked a certain edge, his last 3 albums since 2004 - You Are The Quarry, Ringleader Of The Tormentors and Years Of Refusal - have shown a glorious return to form of his biting wit and songwriting prowess which I'd dare to suggest would surpass the last 3 albums in a row from pretty much any act still going today who were around and killing it in the 80's, IMHO. On ya Mozzer!

I love The Smiths and listen to them often and I think he has a very melodic voice.
My band do our own version of Shyness and Big Mouth Strikes Again to a good reception.

definatly not in a minority . I remember gleefully watching him get pelted offstage whilst he tried to bore the masses at madstock ,finsbury park in '91.

Never seen sir tom or cliff live , but i expect it would be a lot more uplifting than having to endure the tedium that is morrissy .

tom jones at the brighton centre was a cracking laundry fest!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I personally love Morrissey and the Smiths as they were a big part of my youth in the clubs in and around Manchester, and coming from Manchester I can understand the bitterness and melancholy tunes the young man came up with in fairness if you look at nearly all the Manchester bands the followed and even before with bands like Joy Division and Stone Roses, Oasis they all have that feel of depression and suppression, Morrissey is not alone in his thoughts and music. I do feel though that he plays on the "o woe is me" and "the worlds against me" , if he was as introverted he would not have confidence to get up on stage and have strong views on the world.That is all they are views like mine and yours we may not agree on issues, but that is what makes us free. He stand up for what he believes in, which is a trait I admire in people even if I disagree with them.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I went to the doctor and said, "Doctor, I can't stop singing 'The Green, Green Grass Of Home'."
He replied, "Ah yes, I think you might have Tom Jones' Syndrome."
I asked, "I've never heard of that - is it common?"
"It's not unusual."

Joke added 8 years, 9 months ago by Nitrokausion in Celebrities > Tom Jones

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I don't disagree that he's become a parody of himself and perhaps more criminally his recorded output since leaving the Smiths has been somewhat patchy.

But the SMITHS??? What.......a.......band! One of the very best this country has produced. Massively, massively influential globally to boot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here