Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Morgan Stanley begins move away from London

D

Deleted member 22389

Yes, yes, yes she's lost her job, sympathies and all that. But MORE importantly we have our country back and therefore let's REJOICE in taking back power from those unelected bureaucrats who want to create a superstate where we will all have to speak German and eat snails.

My wife got made redundant from her teaching job about three months ago, cuts to the schools budget. We probably have until October and then we don't know what is going to happen after that. Because we have a small daughter we can't afford child care either, so I look my daughter with the help of my 81 year old mum.

My wife is taking supply as and when but it's not enough to cover our bills. We are trying our best to stay positive. I'm trying my best to find a job that fits in with our needs as my wife doesn't drive, and because the agency call her in the morning for work, it is not enough time for her to get to work using public transport.

In the meantime I'm leaflet delivering, after taking out my fuel costs to get to the area I have to deliver, I'm earning about 3.00 per hour. I'm self employed because the company doesn't want to pay minimum wage and exhausts all the responsibility of employing people and I am desperate for money. It's not the nicest job in the world.

This type of economy has been going on for the last 9-10 years now, it's crap, and I didn't see it changing unless we radically changed, which is one of the reasons I voted Leave including my wife.

Last edited by a moderator:

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
I've had enough of all this cynicism. We've got our country back at long last - we are our own masters now. No longer are we tied to the nasty EU, their laws on bendy bananas, up yours Delors, God save our Queen. Democracy is the winner here.

OK, things are a little up-in-the-air right now, but they won't be now that 330 people have decided on a shortlist of 2 women, for 0.2% of the population to choose from as our next prime minister.

I think you will find it's not actually your country.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Proving in one sentence what little the public now about the EU. Brussels never imposed a ban on "bendy bananas" you daft sop. It was a story spun out of the Daily Malicious on a slow news day. Jesus.

Yes and no really. The EU introduced a grading system for fruit and veg - what is considered perfect fruit and veg gets a grade 1. Supermarkets jumped on this and 'assumed' customers would only want grade 1 fruit and veg. Thus suppliers were forced to dump anything not grade 1 as the supermarkets wouldn't buy it. Ironically if you wander round any weekly market in a French village you find perfectly edible but non-grade 1 fruit and veg and the French ( and me ! ) are perfectly happy to buy it. It was the British supermarkets and the British consumer that effectively banned non-perfect fruit and veg. Thankfully it's making a come back in supermarkets like Aldi and in the budget ranges in the bigger supermarkets - look at the budget carrots - perfectly tasty but just a bit of a strange shape and size.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Anyone with half a brain will know that American financial organisations like Morgan Stanley will likely move their UK operations into the EU as soon as possible. Financial markets hate the unknown, ok it increases liquidity, but also raises risk. Those firms who aren't UK based, will simply relocate into the EU to ensure that period of stability, whilst we run around like headless chickens for the next 2 years.

http://www.cityam.com/245003/switzerlands-banks-looking-build-ties-britain-ahead-eu perhaps not !!

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Yes and no really. The EU introduced a grading system for fruit and veg - what is considered perfect fruit and veg gets a grade 1. Supermarkets jumped on this and 'assumed' customers would only want grade 1 fruit and veg. Thus suppliers were forced to dump anything not grade 1 as the supermarkets wouldn't buy it. Ironically if you wander round any weekly market in a French village you find perfectly edible but non-grade 1 fruit and veg and the French ( and me ! ) are perfectly happy to buy it. It was the British supermarkets and the British consumer that effectively banned non-perfect fruit and veg. Thankfully it's making a come back in supermarkets like Aldi and in the budget ranges in the bigger supermarkets - look at the budget carrots - perfectly tasty but just a bit of a strange shape and size.

It's not just the shape and size though, remember. As Boris said during the campaign (Link), the EU has made it illegal to sell bananas in bunches of more than three. Finally we now have the right to buy 4 bananas in one go.

Seriously though - I completely agree with you on this bit. I don't care if my fruit/veg are "grade 1" or not and will happily buy a 'lower' grade. I suspect all supermarkets would catch on with this anyway.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I'm glad your recongise this. The French have a much more laissez faire attitude to EU regulation anyway, and it works much better.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My wife got made redundant from her teaching job about three months ago, cuts to the schools budget. We probably have until October and then we don't know what is going to happen after that. Because we have a small daughter we can't afford child care either, so I look my daughter with the help of my 81 year old mum.

My wife is taking supply as and when but it's not enough to cover our bills. We are trying our best to stay positive. I'm trying my best to find a job that fits in with our needs as my wife doesn't drive, and because the agency call her in the morning for work, it is not enough time for her to get to work using public transport.

In the meantime I'm leaflet delivering, after taking out my fuel costs to get to the area I have to deliver, I'm earning about 3.00 per hour. I'm self employed because the company doesn't want to pay minimum wage and exhausts all the responsibility of employing people and I am desperate for money. It's not the nicest job in the world.

This type of economy has been going on for the last 9-10 years now, it's crap, and I didn't see it changing unless we radically changed, which is one of the reasons I voted Leave including my wife.

Thought provoking - thanks for sharing.

Although I was a Remain-er, I very quickly got fed up with the demonisation of Leavers in the days that immediately followed the referendum. Yes, some may be, frankly, a bit stupid. Some may be bigoted racists but the bulk of 17m+ people won't be either of these things.

It's clear that for a large swathe of the population who aren't as fortunate as I am and, indeed, many on NSC are, voting "to keep things as they are" was the last thing they wanted. If life is a struggle, and has been for some time, why would you vote to keep things the same? If the same means ongoing struggles and uncertainty then the thought of any change has to be attractive, right?

Good luck in getting things sorted out. I hope things improve for you soon.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I wish you the best of luck in sorting the issue. I feel your pain as myself and Mrs W were BOTH made redundant exactly a week before the Brexit vote ( I still voted leave ! ).

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I've had enough of all this cynicism. We've got our country back at long last - we are our own masters now. No longer are we tied to the nasty EU, their laws on bendy bananas, up yours Delors, God save our Queen. Democracy is the winner here.

OK, things are a little up-in-the-air right now, but they won't be now that 330 people have decided on a shortlist of 2 women, for 0.2% of the population to choose from as our next prime minister.
You can't have it both ways simster, I've seen you personally comment on here that we don't vote for a prime minister , we vote for an mp to represent us , so in the case of your example, it was ever thus.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You can't have it both ways simster, I've seen you personally comment on here that we don't vote for a prime minister , we vote for an mp to represent us , so in the case of your example, it was ever thus.

I was being facetious. And you are right of course, I have said exactly that. However, I'm not a fan of FPTP as it simply props up a two party system that doesn't serve the country as well as it might. I don't think it is particularly democratic for a variety of reasons.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

A very honest thought provoking post. I do hope that your vote proves to be correct for you and your family. It is this sort of insight that makes you realise that the reasons for voting were varied and widespread. There is no absolute 'this is what we voted leave for'. The 52% covers a whole variety of reasons and motivations. I should try to remain positive, but I can only see it being a stitch up job, a hatchet plan where the status quo is largely retained, and the rest of us just face bigger cuts and longer austerity to make up the short fall, probably with even further loosened rights for workers etc. I do hope I am wrong, I would genuinely be delighted if in 6months, or a year or 2 to have any of my posts bounced to say how wrong I was.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Ah but don't you see that's completely different. Although the House of Lords is a motley assemblage of people either with hereditary titles or by dint of previous Prime Ministers' patronage, they are English unelected peers and the Queen and her family are English (well, admittedly quite a bit Greek.... and throw in some German too) so that doesn't count.

You really do need to learn who to touch your forelock to.
Its amazing how it becomes acceptable to point out somebodys lack of ''britishness'' when it suits your argument/is somebody posh, you'd be screaming racism from the rooftops were somebody to do the same to mo farah, citing his birth in mogadishu as a factor in his not being pure ''british''

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Its amazing how it becomes acceptable to point out somebodys lack of ''britishness'' when it suits your argument/is somebody posh, you'd be screaming racism from the rooftops were somebody to do the same to mo farah, citing his birth in mogadishu as a factor in his not being pure ''british''

Recognising irony (and pretty blatant at that) not your strong suit then eh bushy? (or is that fredbinney).

Look on it as a parody of little England and a preparation for the break up of "britain" love.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Bloody hell......this is quite an attack on us over 60 ' baby boomers '
Lets reflect on some of the points raised...........Firstly, the accusation that the older generation have completely ruined job prospects for the current younger generation, about to start out on their working lives. More and more young people in this country are becoming self-employed. There are 5.4m businesses in the UK and of these, 4m are people going it alone. In 1980, 8% of our workforce was self-employed, now it is 15% and growing rapidly. The vast majority of business done and people employed is by small and medium sized businesses. Of these, 94% do all their trading within the UK. Many of todays youngsters will feel empowered to start up on their own in this country as they see opportunities develop for them in the Far East, Australasia, the Indian Sub-Continent and The USA. These are the growth markets, targetting in excess of 3billion people. These are markets that young entrepreneurs are being restricted from approaching and will see as exciting and rewarding. The EU is a declining part of world trade ( 17% compared to 30% in 1975 ) The baby boomers will help their children/grand children to invest in these opportunities.
The over 60's have embraced multi culturalism in this country. From the Caribbean influx, to the first wave African Indians, to people from all over the world. Most have grown up sensible enough to recognise that we are a small island, with finite resources. No one ever put an optimum population figure on the UK but most people felt pretty comfortable with our ability to absorb about 30,000 extra people a year for many years. Our services could always be better but generally they were coping. That was until the early 90's. Then numbers started to rise steadily until 1997, when suddenly they escalated out of all proportion ( 300,000 a year, peaking at nearly 530,000 in 2011 ) The baby boomers, late in their working careers, saw their kids starting to struggle in life. They saw ever increasing overcrowding on roads, in schools, in hospitals, in waiting rooms. They saw their quality of life starting to diminish because no-one was paying any heed to the social consequences. All they ever heard was talk about the economy, about finance and about the City of London and how it was the most important thing in life. And now, they find themselves living in the most crowded country in Europe ( 410 people per sq km ) Just lower than India, nearly twice that of Germany and 3.5x that of France. They realise that if our population keeps increasing at the current rate, in 15 years, it will be the equivalent of adding Greater Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow, Liverpool, Leicester, Leeds, Sheffield, Bradford, Nottingham, Portsmouth and Bristol. That will be 73m and 10 years after that it will be 80m. They know that we will not be able to build enough schools, hospitals, prisons and roads to cope with this. Its obvious we are heading for social meltdown. As it is we are having to build a new home every 7 minute for the next 20 years and local authorities are now so desperate that they are granting planning permission on open countryside.
A lot of baby boomers are sensible enough to realise that you can't turn around immigration figures overnight. The damage has been done for a long time. What they voted for was a chance to try and rediscover a sense of national interest. To express the view that culture and society, ultimately mean more than money and economics. To try and repair some of the sharp divisions in our society. To change the political thinking from this truly dreadful, concensus politics that have sprung up since 1997. To make a statement that the world doesn't have to be controlled by bureacracy and big business and that, as a nation, we are perfectly capable of standing alone. We don't have to be pulling at someone's apron strings bullied by others and controlled by others. To loosen Big Brother's grip on us and to give us a chance of controlling our own destiny.
In a few, short years, the wisdom of experience, maturity and social conscience will bear fruit. You just have to be patient. This decision is not short-termism. This is investing in the future.

Unfortunately, with the further cuts coming, the NHS may not be able to keep you old buggers alive long enough to see the glorious future.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The report counted headquarters of companies, so all supermarkets HQed in London count as London GDP

Which is how many? Two by my reckoning - Sainsburys and Lidl, 22% of the market. Due to regional histories and other reasons most of them are well outside London.

Tesco are based in Hertfordshire. Morrisons and Asda in Yorkshire. Aldi in Warwickshire. Iceland somewhere in Wales. Morrisons are near enough in Bracknell, Co-op is still regionalised but the biggest is Manchester.

Additionally, despite the 'nation of shopkeepers' jibe, they aren't that critical a sector!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
EMA is an agency of the EU and must be based within the Union; the UK has voted to leave so what is so curious about issuing a redundancy consultation notices in such circumstances? Not every organisation, company, employer in the UK defaults to "the minimum timescale they can get away with" in this type of situation.

I know someone who works for the same agency, she has been told her 5 year contract job is safe, so long as she is willing to move to wherever they relocate to. Lithuania has been mentioned.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Recognising irony (and pretty blatant at that) not your strong suit then eh bushy? (or is that fredbinney).

Look on it as a parody of little England and a preparation for the break up of "britain" love.
Ah, the old ''irony'' defence , yeah, course it was.

I know someone who works for the same agency, she has been told her 5 year contract job is safe, so long as she is willing to move to wherever they relocate to. Lithuania has been mentioned.

I'd expect EMA to relocate somewhere where the national regulatory body is (like the UK's MHRA is currently) one of the more active in the centralised procedures and medical devices stuff (ie 5ml dosing spoons to replacement hip joints and CT/MRI scanners). That's really Germany, Netherlands or Sweden; Germany would get my vote for no other reason than all the EMA expert committee type stuff relocated to Bonn during the London Olympics, ostensibly because of cost but some of us in the industry thought/think this was a bit of a trial run.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here