Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Morgan Stanley begins move away from London

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
My business - construction related - suffering a massive downturn already. Unlikely we will survive it. A hundred or so jobs gone. Many of whom voted for Brexit and are going to be outraged.

Can I ask how the effect has bitten so quickly? Not disputing what you are saying just interested to know what has changed as a result of the vote.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
We could have stayed in the EU where there is no unemployment!!

Current unemployment rate is some of the EU county's:-

Spain = £23%
Italy = £12%
France = 11%
EU average = £9.6%

UK is about 5% - We will be OK out of the EU. But there will be a lot of bumps along the way (I am not trivializing if anyone loses their job).

All euro zone countries where they have to work with the CEB

Ron Manager

Oooh, wasn't it?
Sep 14, 2015
Lentil Alley
In a horrible 'repeat' of Mrs T's effect upon many, many mining communities then it would seem that no jobs are 100% safe.

Claude samdamme

Mar 8, 2014
Our government is going to bend over backward to keep all the FS multi-nationals from moving out of London. Tax breaks anyone?

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
So despite those wicked Europeans we still had only 5% unemployed. Strikes me when all is said and done, we were doing rather well IN Europe.

Strikes me we are a bigger player in Europe now we are set to leave the sinking ship perhaps it will wake up!

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Strikes me we are a bigger player in Europe now we are set to leave the sinking ship perhaps it will wake up!

The opinion of most Europeans is that it needs to change. Most Europeans are also very grateful that the Brexiters have offered themselves up as sacrificial lambs to achieve this aim.

Europe will change because of the UKs decision.......however, we shall not be part of it. In years to come the remaining bits of the UK....England & Wales.......will be able to look forlornly over the channel whilst they are marooned on their miserable island and their miserable weather.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
The opinion of most Europeans is that it needs to change. Most Europeans are also very grateful that the Brexiters have offered themselves up as sacrificial lambs to achieve this aim.

Europe will change because of the UKs decision.......however, we shall not be part of it. In years to come the remaining bits of the UK....England & Wales.......will be able to look forlornly over the channel whilst they are marooned on their miserable island and their miserable weather.

Aah well, we'll just have to cope as best we can.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Key quote:

"Most of the data for the survey was collected before the 23 June referendum in which the UK voted to leave the EU."

Yes, unwillingness to invest by the construction industry in case the decision turned out to be Leave.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

I,m sure you will.

The ones I feel for are the youngsters who will be going to join the workforce over the next 10 years whilst this horrendous mess is still being sorted out.

I,m in the over 60's group, who sadly overwhelmingly voted to 'Leave'. This is the group of 'baby boomers', who never had to go to war....lived in a period of continual growth.....could buy houses when they were in their 20,s.......many of whom received huge redundancy packages from firms like British Telecomms which enabled a lot of my peers to retire in their early 50,s...and buy a second home with the proceeds....index linked pensions.....you name it...they got it.

What did they do ?

They believed the shit that we were 'Great' Britain (what bollocks that was ! ), that they worked 'so hard'....when the reality was they just pushed a pen along a piece of paper (clerks)...they invented the word 'stress' to justify their over-inflated wages, they managed to forget that a 'hard days work' was actually done by their fore fathers when most jobs were hard labour and they earned just enough to put food on the table and a leaky roof over their heads.

Now they have confined the young to an uncertain future....the young who will have much less of a chance of affording their own homes and have to work well into their 70,s to provide for this utterly selfish group of voters.

Am I disappointed ?....just a tad.

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
We could have stayed in the EU where there is no unemployment!!

Current unemployment rate is some of the EU county's:-

Spain = £23%
Italy = £12%
France = 11%
EU average = £9.6%

UK is about 5% - We will be OK out of the EU. But there will be a lot of bumps along the way (I am not trivializing if anyone loses their job).

What's your point? If we stay in the EU our unemployment rate will go the same way as Spain, France etc.? That's nonsensical.
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/unemployment-rate
http://www.tradingeconomics.com/spain/unemployment-rate
Look at the long terms graphs. Spain has historically had a much higher unemployment rate than the UK, it was above 15% from 1980 to 2000 - the countries are structurally different. EU membership does not seem to have adversely affected the UK.

All the experts are saying that Brexit will lead to a significant increase in unemployment. The job loss news stories are already starting to appear.
Or have you had enough of listening to the experts?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

That's the spirit, we will just have to make a nice cup of tea.
Haven't the leavers noticed yet that they have no Boris, no Gove (thank the Lord) and a minority of backbenchers who wanted to leave. The new PM is a remainer.
There are plenty of shananigans to take place over the coming months but the Government did not want to leave, so leave we will not at least not in the way the leavers wanted it. Politicians don't care about the public who voted they will do whatever they want.
The leavers may have won the battle but they will lose the war and I can see nothing but major problems ahead in the Tory party and between the leavers and remainers in the street.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I,m sure you will.

The ones I feel for are the youngsters who will be going to join the workforce over the next 10 years whilst this horrendous mess is still being sorted out.

I,m in the over 60's group, who sadly overwhelmingly voted to 'Leave'. This is the group of 'baby boomers', who never had to go to war....lived in a period of continual growth.....could buy houses when they were in their 20,s.......many of whom received huge redundancy packages from firms like British Telecomms which enabled a lot of my peers to retire in their early 50,s...and buy a second home with the proceeds....index linked pensions.....you name it...they got it.

What did they do ?

They believed the shit that we were 'Great' Britain (what bollocks that was ! ), that they worked 'so hard'....when the reality was they just pushed a pen along a piece of paper (clerks)...they invented the word 'stress' to justify their over-inflated wages, they managed to forget that a 'hard days work' was actually done by their fore fathers when most jobs were hard labour and they earned just enough to put food on the table and a leaky roof over their heads.

Now they have confined the young to an uncertain future....the young who will have much less of a chance of affording their own homes and have to work well into their 70,s to provide for this utterly selfish group of voters.

Am I disappointed ?....just a tad.

Blimey, if I were still in the 'young' category I'd have had something to say about this.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
That's the spirit, we will just have to make a nice cup of tea.
Haven't the leavers noticed yet that they have no Boris, no Gove (thank the Lord) and a minority of backbenchers who wanted to leave. The new PM is a remainer.
There are plenty of shananigans to take place over the coming months but the Government did not want to leave, so leave we will not at least not in the way the leavers wanted it. Politicians don't care about the public who voted they will do whatever they want.
The leavers may have won the battle but they will lose the war and I can see nothing but major problems ahead in the Tory party and between the leavers and remainers in the street.

All a mere pin prick in the rubber thimble of history.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here