Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] More train misery (WHU & Newcastle (home games))

The Pilsbury Echo

Dec 30, 2015
I feel like I need to apologise to the family from Luton I met in the queue at Falmer after the game. When the announcement came that there was no trains for an hour or so, I told them it's not that bad a walk to Brighton station and can be done in 30 mins. So off we all trotted, at Bridge car park we went our separate routes. Because I'd had 4 pints during the afternoon I had forgotten about my plantar fascitus, 80minutes later I finally arrived at Brighton Station to see bedlam. So as any good husband would do he pleads to the Mrs to pick him up. Now the good lady is not the most confident of drivers and refused to drive into Brighton from Burgess Hill as she already knew it was chaos what with diversions here, there and everywhere. So after a bit of grizzling and whinging from yours truly I managed to bribe her with a full on Indian takeaway but in true Bloom negotiation style the deal had to be too her liking. The last part of the deal was that my carriage would be picking me up...AT THE KING ALFRED HOVE!!! At this point the alcohol was no longer in my system and my achillies felt like it was about to snap but didn't want to stress the MRS out anymore than she already was so decided to get on with the 2nd part of my trek. Finally got in at 8ish with pain like I've never felt b4 to then find out about WHU/Newcastle strike dates. Curry got delivered and got duly devoured. It is an experience I don't want to ever go through again. So to the Family from Luton, I'm sorry if it took you longer than I said but I truly suffered as well. West Ham and Newcastle games have been pre booked with Mrs taxi services but negotiations are still ongoing on to what it's going to cost me. FECKING TRAINS 🤬🤬🤬

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I feel like I need to apologise to the family from Luton I met in the queue at Falmer after the game. When the announcement came that there was no trains for an hour or so, I told them it's not that bad a walk to Brighton station and can be done in 30 mins. So off we all trotted, at Bridge car park we went our separate routes. Because I'd had 4 pints during the afternoon I had forgotten about my plantar fascitus, 80minutes later I finally arrived at Brighton Station to see bedlam. So as any good husband would do he pleads to the Mrs to pick him up. Now the good lady is not the most confident of drivers and refused to drive into Brighton from Burgess Hill as she already knew it was chaos what with diversions here, there and everywhere. So after a bit of grizzling and whinging from yours truly I managed to bribe her with a full on Indian takeaway but in true Bloom negotiation style the deal had to be too her liking. The last part of the deal was that my carriage would be picking me up...AT THE KING ALFRED HOVE!!! At this point the alcohol was no longer in my system and my achillies felt like it was about to snap but didn't want to stress the MRS out anymore than she already was so decided to get on with the 2nd part of my trek. Finally got in at 8ish with pain like I've never felt b4 to then find out about WHU/Newcastle strike dates. Curry got delivered and got duly devoured. It is an experience I don't want to ever go through again. So to the Family from Luton, I'm sorry if it took you longer than I said but I truly suffered as well. West Ham and Newcastle games have been pre booked with Mrs taxi services but negotiations are still ongoing on to what it's going to cost me. FECKING TRAINS 🤬🤬🤬
FECKING TRAINS? Nope, they had absolutely no control over the FECKING TRESPASSERS, other than a duty of care to try and ensure the ****s didn't fry themselves on the middle rail or get mashed into ground beef on the tracks

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
For West Ham and Newcastle try the 270 bus change at St Peter's Church on to a 28/29/25, takes an hour.

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
After the game on Saturday it took me 4 hours to get home from Falmer via Wivlesfield station to my home in Burgess Hill. An utterly miserable journey that included being stuck on the platform at Brighton station for over an hour not knowing when the next train was coming or going.

Football is by far my number one hobby, so I always look forward to going to games, but the train chaos has made it so miserable that I almost wish I hadn’t bothered getting tickets, but then I feel like why should I let this train chaos ruin my weekend.

We must have one of the worst railways in the developed world. It’s a total embarrassment how difficult it’s become lately to make even short 30 minute train journeys.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
After the game on Saturday it took me 4 hours to get home from Falmer via Wivlesfield station to my home in Burgess Hill. An utterly miserable journey that included being stuck on the platform at Brighton station for over an hour not knowing when the next train was coming or going.

Football is by far my number one hobby, so I always look forward to going to games, but the train chaos has made it so miserable that I almost wish I hadn’t bothered getting tickets, but then I feel like why should I let this train chaos ruin my weekend.

We must have one of the worst railways in the developed world. It’s a total embarrassment how difficult it’s become lately to make even short 30 minute train journeys.

As bad as it felt , probably not as bad as the child trying to commit suicide at Patcham tunnel eh ?

The Pilsbury Echo

Dec 30, 2015
FECKING TRAINS? Nope, they had absolutely no control over the FECKING TRESPASSERS, other than a duty of care to try and ensure the ****s didn't fry themselves on the middle rail or get mashed into ground beef on the tracks
Good afternoon Tom...My fecking trains comment was aimed at the title of the thread...

More train misery (WHU & Newcastle (home games) and to The Luton family. UTA​

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
It was only in jest, I just struggle to find many ground which are good to get away from by public transport. Unloading 10,000+ people at once will always cause problems.
IMG_3304.jpeg

Let’s not pretend for a second this image wasn’t expected at some time

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I do think the way the railways are run in this country structurally is ludicrous, that’s what the crux to all these problems, the whole system needs reforming. The Tories seem to have shelved it, we should be looking at models like Germany and the Netherlands, until then it’s gonna be this nonsense every few years.
Not long ago no trains because union objected to withdrawal of Guards. I had just come back from Hamburg in Germany and traveled on trains that didnt even have a driver

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Not long ago no trains because union objected to withdrawal of Guards. I had just come back from Hamburg in Germany and traveled on trains that didnt even have a driver
That would involve the government investing in the infrastructure as that runs on ETCS (European Train Control System). The government so far has invested on building it between Finsbury Park and Moorgate. That’s it. The government is at fault for every failure in every process. The guards can’t get off the trains as there isn’t the infrastructure to have guard-less trains. The government halts all development in this country’s railway system, it won’t EVER be fixed until they start taking it seriously, and invest. Doesn’t matter what the unions do.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
That would involve the government investing in the infrastructure as that runs on ETCS (European Train Control System). The government so far has invested on building it between Finsbury Park and Moorgate. That’s it. The government is at fault for every failure in every process. The guards can’t get off the trains as there isn’t the infrastructure to have guard-less trains. The government halts all development in this country’s railway system, it won’t EVER be fixed until they start taking it seriously, and invest. Doesn’t matter what the unions do.
But there has been massive Union resistance to even discussing driverless/guardless trains in any meaningful way, never mind getting as far as agreeing to cooperate in prototyping such a possibility. I agree that government commitment to more investment in public transport infrastructure has been absolutely shameful but the unions have pushed back as well if they sense any staffing reductions. (And yes, I understand that unions exist to protect their members — I was a shop steward myself back in the 1970s — but for other working people trying to get by in a wretched modern world, this is no consolation at all.)

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
As bad as it felt , probably not as bad as the child trying to commit suicide at Patcham tunnel eh ?
Suicide is a selfish act with many victims. Anyone here who’s experienced suicide within their family or friendship circle will understand this. Doing it on a railway line (or more likely here, pretending to, as I’ve not heard of any suicide occurring), is selfish too. Being desperately unhappy doesn’t give you a free pass to f*** up thousands of people’s Saturday nights. Sorry. Harsh but true.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Suicide is a selfish act with many victims. Anyone here who’s experienced suicide within their family or friendship circle will understand this. Doing it on a railway line (or more likely here, pretending to, as I’ve not heard of any suicide occurring), is selfish too. Being desperately unhappy doesn’t give you a free pass to f*** up thousands of people’s Saturday nights. Sorry. Harsh but true.
Still doesn’t make it particularly pleasant for anyone involved, I’ve had friends who’ve committed suicide, I don’t remember them as selfish. I tend not to judge people in that situation and go to the pub and have a few beers, there’s nothing that can be done. Being involved with these kind of incidents myself. It’s a lot less clear cut than people “pretending” and personally trying to ruin people’s weekends, my weekend wasn’t ruined, we won 4-1. Any I think this thread has gone off topic enough now.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
But there has been massive Union resistance to even discussing driverless/guardless trains in any meaningful way, never mind getting as far as agreeing to cooperate in prototyping such a possibility. I agree that government commitment to more investment in public transport infrastructure has been absolutely shameful but the unions have pushed back as well if they sense any staffing reductions. (And yes, I understand that unions exist to protect their members — I was a shop steward myself back in the 1970s — but for other working people trying to get by in a wretched modern world, this is no consolation at all.)
Yes there has been Union resistance to that because it doesn’t protect their members, why would they be for it? Why would actively try to reduce their job roles?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I see that Brighton bus drivers are balloting over whether to take strike action. I imagine if that coincided with a train strike, it would make things even trickier.

And if they did vote for a strike (and that's by no means certain), would such action affect Park & Ride buses too?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
:fishing:

Depression/being suicidal is more painful and uncontrollable than being desperately unhappy. That’s just part of the symptoms. Think of it as a severe, all pervasive illness.

Twice this year we’ve faced huge delays due to train suicides, one in France which cost us £1k in new flights. Genuinely, I just felt sad for the dead, the pain and anguish that drove them to it.

Have a heart.

Last edited:

mile oak

May 21, 2023
I see that Brighton bus drivers are balloting over whether to take strike action. I imagine if that coincided with a train strike, it would make things even trickier.

And if they did vote for a strike (and that's by no means certain), would such action affect Park & Ride buses too?
Even if p and r isnt affected theres a iimit to how many ppl can use this. Feels like for many unlessyou live close enough to Famer coming to matches is excluding you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here