Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] More train misery (WHU & Newcastle (home games))

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I'm lucky enough to have a lift for West Ham and will be trying Seagull Travel for Newcastle. I don't like paying £20 when I could get free train/bus travel but after last Saturday I've decided £20 is a reasonable cost for the lack of stress and the uncertainty of wondering if I'm ever going to get away from Falmer. Even without a strike I would have made this decision. Trains and buses are terrible, park and ride is terrible with the buses hijacked by non-drivers. It's all shit. Time to dispense with the stress, even if I have to pay for the privilege.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So you think it’s easier to get out of old Trafford where you have to queue for the tram, or Man City, or Arsenal where you have to either walk 20 mins to Finsbury or Islington and queue. It’s no worse than a lot I’ve been to, let alone if there’s any transport, anywhere near the ground.
......or Spurs (choice of crap train queues and/or a long walk), West Ham and the long walk, or Bournemouth and their ridiculous car park, or the Villa and Leicester traffic etc etc

The Amex always seems worse because you exit straight into a train or bus queue rather than having a 20/30 min walk first like most grounds imo - reality is it's pretty average from a transport perspective amongst current PL grounds. .

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
So you think it’s easier to get out of old Trafford where you have to queue for the tram, or Man City, or Arsenal where you have to either walk 20 mins to Finsbury or Islington and queue. It’s no worse than a lot I’ve been to, let alone if there’s any transport, anywhere near the ground.
Not been to the Etihad. At least with Arsenal there are pubs and restaurants you can hang out in for a while. No disrespect to the Amex concourses but Falmer is a cheerless place to be stranded. Most stadiums you can walk a few minutes and have different options for travel, cabs, places to hang out. I can think of worse places, it's true -- Reading for a start.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Not been to the Etihad. At least with Arsenal there are pubs and restaurants you can hang out in for a while. No disrespect to the Amex concourses but Falmer is a cheerless place to be stranded. Most stadiums you can walk a few minutes and have different options for travel, cabs, places to hang out. I can think of worse places, it's true -- Reading for a start.
Where else should we have built the stadium then, this is the situation and for a stadiums in a similar location, it is very well served by public transport. Most people seemed to be having fun on Saturday in the concourse watching the Newcastle game, it’s what you make of the situation. I had a birthday engagement on Saturday in London which I was late for, but it is what it is. York’s new stadium in a similar location is an absolute nightmare to get away from.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I do think the way the railways are run in this country structurally is ludicrous, that’s what the crux to all these problems, the whole system needs reforming. The Tories seem to have shelved it, we should be looking at models like Germany and the Netherlands, until then it’s gonna be this nonsense every few years.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Can the Unions not instigate talks? After all, it's their members who are losing money when they strike. Do they not want a solution? Unfortunately the Transport Minister and the rest of this pathetic Govt. aren't financilly afffected and simply don't care.

Or are they happy all just to wait another 16/18 months (until a GE) before they start talking?

As I said before none of them (Unions / Govt / Companies) are blameless.

Do you honestly think that a Labour Govt (who I will be voting for providing they start talking about reentering the CU and SM ) will give the train drivers etc what they want - if they do the whole public sector will walk out wanting the same.

It suits both sides to let this carry on long term

Unions feel they can help take down the government

Government can blame the unions for all that's going wrong

Not sure either side give a toss about the public or the workers

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
It was only in jest, I just struggle to find many ground which are good to get away from by public transport. Unloading 10,000+ people at once will always cause problems.
The best I can think of off the top of my head is QPR. Choice of 4 or 5 tube stations and 2 or 3 lines plus several bus routes, all within IIRC about 10-15 min walk.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The best I can think of off the top of my head is QPR. Choice of 4 or 5 tube stations and 2 or 3 lines plus several bus routes, all within IIRC about 10-15 min walk.
One of the easiest grounds to get to, and away from, l grant you. Just a shame about the ground itself, it really isn't very away fan friendly, all hoarded in together with very little leg room last time l was there. I'm sure it hasnt changed much, if at all.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
They can instigate talks, but the government won’t sit down, like I said it goes round in circles. Nobody takes responsibility. The labour government won’t necessarily agree but it’s a damn site better solution, than keeping the current Tory government who are doing nothing.

The government took too long to sit down with the unions, however what is the point of the government talking when the union won't put an offer to the members?

This could be all over now

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
One of the easiest grounds to get to, and away from, l grant you. Just a shame about the ground itself, it really isn't very away fan friendly, all hoarded in together with very little leg room last time l was there. I'm sure it hasnt changed much, if at all.
It’s horrendous….can’t see the goal from most of the top tier, and Moises’ mum wouldn’t be able to navigate the concourse

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
The government took too long to sit down with the unions, however what is the point of the government talking when the union won't put an offer to the members?

This could be all over now
I agree, that was a big mistake. I don’t think it would be over however, as the T & Cs would never have been accepted. The government need to sit down again and show that they actively want to solve it, as do the unions. I just don’t understand how the companies and operators, that don’t have to deal with central government have found a solution, which isn’t workable for those that do.

Last edited:

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Yes for sure, that’s the benefit of a stadium that’s been there for a long time in a city centre. We’re never going to have that unless we build a new stadium. Unless there’s a serious upgrade of the infrastructure we’re never going to have a frequent service like a tube line either.

Last edited:

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Where else should we have built the stadium then, this is the situation and for a stadiums in a similar location, it is very well served by public transport. Most people seemed to be having fun on Saturday in the concourse watching the Newcastle game, it’s what you make of the situation. I had a birthday engagement on Saturday in London which I was late for, but it is what it is. York’s new stadium in a similar location is an absolute nightmare to get away from.
I had an idea, hear me out before you say no…….Gillingham!

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
The lowest paid are the ones being affected the most by these strikes.

Do you think MPs are suffering?

Of course they're not - yet.

That's the narrative they want you to think, so you turn against the strikers.

This is how extreme things are.

The country is on its knees, purely down to the corruption and greed of this government.

Have you seen that inter-departmental government fraud is £21bn under Sunak. Where do you think this money is disappearing to? FFS. In France, there would be riots for this reason alone, despite the other hundreds they could be using.

Even Stevie Wonder can see what's going on.

They will only act when it starts to affect them...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here