[Albion] More train misery (WHU & Newcastle (home games))

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Wonder if we will get a game this season where travel via train works as it should. On Saturday , pre game it was perfect (all be with our new routine to factor in a couple hours for issues and having to get up to the amex pre 1:30 to avoid more shit ) . So nearly a day without issues but then the clusterfuck after happened.

Last season got really painful at the end and unless it was a 3pm Saturday the lure of a pub / home was far more appealing than being fked about with the unknown for several hours.

I knew this season was going to be shit but that chaos on Saturday has already got me thinking if I can be arsed with it all again for midweeks / later Kick offs.

As it is , a normal day when trains work and a few beers before / HT / after you are still probably standing in queues for well over an hour on top of the knife edge that the trains may or may not manage to get you home.

It's bloody painful . The fact we are amazing on the pitch is masking a lot of this crap

The next 2 are full strikes arnt they ? In a way at least you know where you stand. Pretty much rules out making an afternoon of it with a few beers though

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
It wasn't tongue-in-cheek.

You raise the point - the government don't care.

They are the root cause of all this shite - the sewage, £32bn of worthless PPE, new oil licenses (unbelievable), NHS cuts. I could go on but I'm depressed enough about the whole situation as it is.

The government is at fault, pure and simple. The unions are sticking up for their workers and are not backing down. Good, the current government must go.
In my ideal world, we would what they did in Iceland. March our corrupt government through the centre of London and let the public direct their ire at them - plus some rotten veg too hopefully.
Completely and utterly this. I think someone earlier in the thread said they would lock the unions and train companies together in a room until they reached an agreement. It would make no difference, the government would void the agreement. They have literally broken the country in every conceivable way.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Whole of Coldean out. Moulescombe for parking too. Anyone know can you safety walk off road Falmer to Woodingdean and how long it takes?
There’s a lovely new path for bikes and pedestrians for the entire length of the route. Dunno how fast you walk but I’d guess 30 minutes for the walk.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Wonder if we will get a game this season where travel via train works as it should. On Saturday , pre game it was perfect (all be with our new routine to factor in a couple hours for issues and having to get up to the amex pre 1:30 to avoid more shit ) . So nearly a day without issues but then the clusterfuck after happened.

Last season got really painful at the end and unless it was a 3pm Saturday the lure of a pub / home was far more appealing than being fked about with the unknown for several hours.

I knew this season was going to be shit but that chaos on Saturday has already got me thinking if I can be arsed with it all again for midweeks / later Kick offs.

As it is , a normal day when trains work and a few beers before / HT / after you are still probably standing in queues for well over an hour on top of the knife edge that the trains may or may not manage to get you home.

It's bloody painful . The fact we are amazing on the pitch is masking a lot of this crap

The next 2 are full strikes arnt they ? In a way at least you know where you stand. Pretty much rules out making an afternoon of it with a few beers though
I feel your pain, well expressed sentiments recognised by a lot of us..... I regularly travel down from the west country... started with legally parked in Coldean Lane, 15min stroll to the ground.... then the ban came in.

Next we used Mithras p&r... mostly a breeze..... then that stopped.

Next it was parking in Shoreham and west coast trains.... started well, but just became a nightmare before the game with queue management a real threat to arriving in time.

Back to Mill Rd p&r.... again it started fine, then gradually the queues to get off the a27 and more lately the bendy bus ban has made that a lottery too, before and after....

I don't know the answers, I just, like a lot of folk, know the pain.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

I get that it was pretty bad after the game Saturday, but that 3 trespassers and an attempted suicide all within an hour of each other, is unlikely to happen again. Like you said pre match before that happened it was fine, I would just accept it’s extremely unlucky and do the same, next week. As much as it’s not ideal, the public transport away from the Amex is no better or worse than 90% of other football grounds in the country.

Last edited:

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023

Are the next two full strikes? As in no trains at all?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
After the debacle of last weekend I've decided to bite the bullet and pay the £68 for a direct return to wolves this weekend. I know northern trains are better but for the sake of 30 quid difference I just want the direct train to London.

As I'm still having PTSD from last weekend would be grateful if anyone could tell me of any gotchas from getting the 11.10 from Euston to wolves and the 5.45pm on the way back ? Seems too easy to be true.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
To add to gloom, there are engineering works this weekend near Birmingham, affecting routes from Bristol. Over 4 hours to do the usual trip from Taunton I take so will have to brave M5 on a holiday Saturday....

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
After the debacle of last weekend I've decided to bite the bullet and pay the £68 for a direct return to wolves this weekend. I know northern trains are better but for the sake of 30 quid difference I just want the direct train to London.

As I'm still having PTSD from last weekend would be grateful if anyone could tell me of any gotchas from getting the 11.10 from Euston to wolves and the 5.45pm on the way back ? Seems too easy to be true.
No that should work fine, really nerdy facet as well, that train is the Edinburgh service so has a 9xxx headcode that means that if that if a slow train is in front of it, that train is prioritised to leave first, as it has to meet its slot at Stafford. They do occasionally cancel them north of New Street due to route knowledge. There’s at least 6 trains an hour between New Street and Wolverhampton if that does happen. Oh and if Wolves are anything like their West Midlands neighbours Villa, the game will still be going on at 5.45.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
To add to gloom, there are engineering works this weekend near Birmingham, affecting routes from Bristol. Over 4 hours to do the usual trip from Taunton I take so will have to brave M5 on a holiday Saturday....
Wave as you pass J22.... I'll be playing golf in the morning at Burnham & Berrow.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I’m hard pushed now to remember the last time I caught a train that wasn’t affected by some form of disruption.
whilst cutting almost all the post, this part is key, it's just accepted now, people know what to do to work around the strikes, in some cases the reduced service is more reliable.

The Government are happy to let it continue, I think most people are meh about it now.

It's been a year.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I support all the strikes 100%. They've affected me loads but, in my opinion, the only way anything changes in this shitpit of a country is when those self-serving ****s start to suffer.

Bring the country to its knees...
The lowest paid are the ones being affected the most by these strikes.

Do you think MPs are suffering?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports