Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] More than 50 drivers a day are still being caught using their mobiles at the wheel

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Bit annoying in one way - in times gone by, if I needed to check the time, I'd glance at my watch. No problem, no risk, no crime. Now, like many people my 'watch' is now my mobile phone - I don't know whether just checking the time would be a legal defence - I wouldn't be doing anything on my phone, just looking at the time on the screen.
You don't have a clock in your car?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Bit annoying in one way - in times gone by, if I needed to check the time, I'd glance at my watch. No problem, no risk, no crime. Now, like many people my 'watch' is now my mobile phone - I don't know whether just checking the time would be a legal defence - I wouldn't be doing anything on my phone, just looking at the time on the screen.

Oh well - I'm not going to be the one to test it!
Come on. Don't keep us all in suspense. What car are you driving with no clock onboard?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Thankfully, you never see cyclists doing the same.
I once cycled straight through a red light at Preston Circus junction no-handed while checking my mobile phone, got pulled over seconds later outside The World’s End pub by an unmarked darkened window BMW four up in plain clothes. My attempted explanation that I knew the light system timing at that 3-way junction like the back of my hand (which I did), and so there was no risk to anyone, didn’t exactly cut it. Idiotic in the extreme, I shudder just thinking about it.

Last edited:

theboybilly

Oh well - I'm not going to be the one to test it!
If only car dashboards had something like a clock fitted

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
No but I have access to two of them. Cracking little cars if you don't hit too many hills.
All cars have their limitations, I'm a big fan of the little Hyundai engines myself but the biggest disappointment for the money ? For me, it's Maserati's, but I accept it may be an age/experience thing :wink:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
You could get one of those neat little folding travel clocks, bit of Bluetack and sorted.
1672342697688.jpeg

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
All cars have their limitations, I'm a big fan of the little Hyundai engines myself but the biggest disappointment for the money ? For me, it's Maserati's, but I accept it may be an age/experience thing :wink:
Oh really?

I'd love a Maserati GranTurismo from about 10 years ago, worried if I'd be disappointed.

Otherwise I'm going Civic Type-R I think, seem like a lot of fun.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Oh really?

I'd love a Maserati GranTurismo from about 10 years ago, worried if I'd be disappointed.

Otherwise I'm going Civic Type-R I think, seem like a lot of fun.
There's no easy way to say this but everyone I know who has bought a Maserati have been complete ****s. Sporty Civics are great fun particularly If you're young and all the young lads I have known who've had them have been great lads(y)

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Reminds me about the day this summer that a 16 year old, driving on her own for the first time, flipped her Dad's SUV right in front of my house due to being on the phone. The second time I have seen someone flip their SUV due to being on the phone... crazy.

flipped.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here