Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] More possible FFP issues for Chelsea?

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
As a Brighton fan, I wouldn't care. Although I would feel sorry for the fans of those clubs (in it) who didn't want it.
In principle I agree 100%. Let them sod off and do their own thing, so we can all get on with running a proper, competitive, passionate, league.

But I always worry sligtly about unintended consequences (no idea what they might be in this case).

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Souness is an absolute dinosaur, stuck in the past. He does little if any research and just spews shite without any fact checking. Typical “boys club” hire, knows nothing outside of the “Big Four”

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Were we not originally after that Lesley Ugochukwu as a Caicedo replacement before they decided to sign him and Caicedo? Lesley is about 4th choice in their pecking order now. Wonder if we’d query about taking him off their hands at a cut price.
Chelsea want top dollar for everyone judging by the Broja deal.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This, I'm afraid, remains to be tested. they've made the rght noises. Which is good. But are yet to properly nail a really powerful club - one, say, owned by a petro-state or a well connected American Billionaire.

I'm hearing increasingly sympathetic noises from the media towards the newly rich clubs. I think it was David Orstein (but might be wrong) speaking to a set of punters on BBC the other day and (almost) everyone agreeing how jolly unfair it was that 'ambitious' clubs like Newcastle are being restrained from spending when there is next to no chance of them going bunkrupt Which is, apparently, 'what the FFP rules are there for'. I don't know if this is just certain people understanding where their interests lie (more money in the game = ever higher salaries and trebles all round, ching ching). Or whether there are some more 'direct' conversations going on to ensure that everyone is gradually brought round to expressing the view that restricting Saudi Arabia from spending whatever it wants, to help divert attention from their murdering ways, is somehow 'bad for the game we love'. But I definitely sense a concerted campaign coming to push back and make sure that the likes of Chelsea, Man City and Newcastle are able to get back to their mega-spending ways. And yes, I suspect that will involve a return of the '(Saudi based?) Superleage idea at some stage. When they've lined up their ducks so as not to get ambushed by these annoying 'poor people that actually go to soccer games' again.

Personally I'm not optimistic. They are rich. We are stupid. And money = power = getting what you want in the end.

But by god, I hope I'm wrong!
Martin Samuels is spitting out exactly this line on an almost daily basis. Saudis have a few shills in their pocket it seems.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Chelsea want top dollar for everyone judging by the Broja deal.
They reputedly wanted £50m for Broja but football collectively guffawed at that notion. So they’ve loaned him to Fulham. According to ESPN there will be no loan fee if he plays 10 matches this season. So what Chelsea want and what they’ll get are two very different things.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
Martin Samuels is spitting out exactly this line on an almost daily basis. Saudis have a few shills in their pocket it seems.
Indeed. I've got to be honest, but I was disappointed with what I heard from @El Presidente on Talksport Sunday morning, and the sympathy he expressed with the Geordie journalist who wants his murderous owners to be able to spend away and buy the glory. Without these controls what stops every club being bought up by Middle East and American multi billionaires fueling yet more insane spending and further unsustainable inflation? This is what puts clubs at risk. All I can see from the controls coming in are some sensible restriction coming into transfer fees, and more sensible wage structures as FFP finally looks like it has the potential to take hold. We are the epitome of showing there is another way to compete. There definitely seems to be a media agenda to rip up the rule book and take us back to square one. I much prefer a world where a new Ambromovich cant fund that sort of glory with filthy money again, and all the revenue riches are hardly helping the likes of Man Utd.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I hope Moises is looking for a new agent. He has been totally mugged off, but money seemed the be all and end all for him, which might be why his performances have become so average.
He has absolutely trashed his reputation for the moment. Moises has gone from being one of the best DMs in the EPL to a figure of fun and the poster boy for the dysfunction at Chelsea. On the one hand it is funny to see some karma dished out but on the other it is sad to see such a talent fade away.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
they certainly assumed European, probably Champions League revenue for possibly this and definitely next season.
There were reports around the time of the Potter sacking that when Boehly was told that Chelsea have played in Europe every season since 1998 or whatever it is he took that as a guaranteed entry and revenue and planned accordingly, not something reliant on merit and league performances, and that he was absolutely staggered when he found out.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This is marvelous stuff. It's the reason I want Liverpool to win the FLC and Villa to knock them out the FAC, no Europe again and they are in so much shit.
This was discussed a lot on here at the time that these 8 year contracts were great at allowing the m to spend massive money v quickly but provided one fact was correct - that the players were actually up to it, that was the gamble, I'm sure they thought maybe one or max two wouldn't work out, but it's 6 or 7, it's wonderful.
Had plenty of arguments with Chelsea fans at the time who were CONVINCED Boehly was some kind of visionary genius.

The potential risks seemed so obvious to me, and so HIGH.

Well, here we are.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Call me a cynic but if Chelsea need to find 100 million before the end of June they will. They didn't struggle to sell players last summer, and that included three rivals bailing them out with big offers.
Wouldn't surprise me if Lukaku to Saudi covers most of it

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
When I start supporting Newcastle's right to spend big, I'm buying a sports car. No particular reason, just saying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here