Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] More of the Rings

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
After thinking about it, my guess is that it is Alatar - as that makes the only real sense - but they will initially try to trick the audience that it is Sauron.

Given the Blue Wizards have held a bit of intrigue over the years for book fans it would earn the showrunners some brownie points no doubt if they actually introduced a Blue wizard to the show.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Could only be one of the Maiar the way he arrived.

So it should be the blue wizard Alatar. Doubt they'd use his offsider Pallando and can't be Gandalf.

Can't be Sauron either as he never left middle earth after Melkor was defeated.

Unless it's another completely made up character.

I think the fire imagery (crater, fireflies) is meant to make fans think first of Sauron, and then Gandalf - neither of whom make sense. There is also the constellation which looks like Gandalf's rune which I think is another red herring.

I now can't find the quote, but I saw that apparently the identity of the Stranger was revealed to someone at Tolkien Estates. Apparently they are an existing character in the legendarium and the representative from TE was not happy.

I think this could either mean the show goes heavily against canon, or the character is not one they should be using. I don't think Amazon hold the rights to the names Alatar or Pallando - the Hobbit films mention the Blue Wizards but Gandalf has forgotten their names - so perhaps TE were unhappy that their rights were not being used properly.

Otherwise if it is a character whose backstory is being misused, it could be Gandalf or another wizard. As for other 'magic' using characters, it could also be the Witch King or Tom Bombadil.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

So it should be the blue wizard Alatar. Doubt they'd use his offsider Pallando and can't be Gandalf.

Santa...has to be. Big white beard, flew in at supersonic speed - I reckon his sleigh just had a malfunction & burst into flames on his way to deliver to The Shire.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I am certainly not a Tolkien fanboy and was happy to watch this on its merits.

I found it rather boring. Not sure I will bother with any more. It neither linked the story to LOTR nor did it stand alone as something engaging.

Found myself wishing I was watching The Sandman or House of the Dragon.

Cinematically for television, I thought it hit the wow button. Beautiful. We shall see re: storyline and characters, as George Lucas and many others have demonstrated, it’s nothing without those. But they’re up against it, millions of fans - inc me - rejected the very idea of its creation never mind judging the initial output! I’m happy now to see it for what it’s trying to be: entertainment. If the odd dwarf is missing sideburns and an orc has a Kerry accent I’ll let it pass. Equally if the plot plods as GOT did several times I’ll switch off. I think we all forget that option!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Am very impressed by your knowledge and obvious love for Tolkien’s world. Obviously you’re an easy target for those who mock, but your passion for is actually admiral! I similarly fell in love with as a child, it was a Commodore 64 purchase that opened up his world to me. The rest as they say, is history!

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I've enjoyed it so far. I get both sides of the fence, I hate the way writers fundamentally shift away from the books, which is why I stopped watching GoT after the first season. If they do that with the lore of Tolkien then I might do the same with this, we'll see. The only thing that doesn't bother me is the diversity of characters. Lenny Henry being in it, a black elf etc, couldn't care less, didn't even cross my mind it would be a problem when I watched it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Am very impressed by your knowledge and obvious love for Tolkien’s world. Obviously you’re an easy target for those who mock, but your passion for is actually admiral! I similarly fell in love with as a child, it was a Commodore 64 purchase that opened up his world to me. The rest as they say, is history!

I read all the books multiple times through the 80's and more since then. It was the advent of the internet and the arrival of message boards that really opened up the Tolkien world to its fans from all over the world.

The ones who think they are mocking always end up exposing themselves as clowns who don't know what they are talking about anyway :lolol:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I've enjoyed it so far. I get both sides of the fence, I hate the way writers fundamentally shift away from the books, which is why I stopped watching GoT after the first season. If they do that with the lore of Tolkien then I might do the same with this, we'll see. The only thing that doesn't bother me is the diversity of characters. Lenny Henry being in it, a black elf etc, couldn't care less, didn't even cross my mind it would be a problem when I watched it.

The Hobbits in the show have been great for exposing the showrunners as either liars or clueless.

The proudly told everyone that the Harfoots weren't in fact Hobbits but proto-Hobbits.

You can find stacks or articles from people reporting on them using that same language.

Trouble is that the Harfoots are indeed Hobbits. You only have to go to the LOTR wiki to find that information out.

That's the quality of the apparent super fan showrunners knowledge.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The Hobbits in the show have been great for exposing the showrunners as either liars or clueless.

The proudly told everyone that the Harfoots weren't in fact Hobbits but proto-Hobbits.

You can find stacks or articles from people reporting on them using that same language.

Trouble is that the Harfoots are indeed Hobbits. You only have to go to the LOTR wiki to find that information out.

That's the quality of the apparent super fan showrunners knowledge.

Ahem

https://screenrant.com/lotr-rings-power-harfoot-racist-backlash-neil-gaiman/

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I think the fire imagery (crater, fireflies) is meant to make fans think first of Sauron, and then Gandalf - neither of whom make sense. There is also the constellation which looks like Gandalf's rune which I think is another red herring.

I now can't find the quote, but I saw that apparently the identity of the Stranger was revealed to someone at Tolkien Estates. Apparently they are an existing character in the legendarium and the representative from TE was not happy.

I think this could either mean the show goes heavily against canon, or the character is not one they should be using. I don't think Amazon hold the rights to the names Alatar or Pallando - the Hobbit films mention the Blue Wizards but Gandalf has forgotten their names - so perhaps TE were unhappy that their rights were not being used properly.

Otherwise if it is a character whose backstory is being misused, it could be Gandalf or another wizard. As for other 'magic' using characters, it could also be the Witch King or Tom Bombadil.

I don't think he can be the Witch King because he was still a living man at the time of this show if we go by the premise he was a Numenorean Lord who was corrupted through a ring. Who knows with this show though, they might make Ar-Pharazon into the Witch King.

Can't be Tom Bombadil as his story has him in middle earth at least from the first day it came to be when he says he remembers the first rain drop and the first acorn.

Interesting point on if they have the right to use Alatar the name. Will have to look into that a bit more,

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oh bless, the wee man struggles with words and comprehension.

Don't worry champ, you'll learn what words mean one day.

:lol:

I know what ethereal and regal mean, thanks.

Unlike yourself though, apparently, I also know what REAL means.

A grown man getting aerated about the manner in which an actress chooses to portray a fictional character, is just funny, that’s all.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
:lol:

I know what ethereal and regal mean, thanks.

Unlike yourself though, apparently, I also know what REAL means.

A grown man getting aerated about the manner in which an actress chooses to portray a fictional character, is just funny, that’s all.

And what does real mean in the context of that word? Go on, do tell because I don't think you do know.

That you think a very common word that's used by people and critics to describe actors is age related is rather strange.

https://www.screenactorsworkshop.com.au/acting/wooden-acting/

When an actor’s performance is described as “wooden,” what does that mean?

Basically it means that the performance is forced, in other words, the feelings and emotions are “acted,” not felt. Good acting is living in the moment and truthfully experiencing what the character is feeling emotionally from moment to moment.

Would seem the way you reacted to a word that adults use all the time places you in the child like category.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Are people still getting upset about brown hobbits and elves. Characters from a novelist who wrote the books to show that beings from all races could work together. It's one thing being a nerd and knowing all the names, places etc but that counts for nought when the spirit and subtext of the writing goes way over your head.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Are people still getting upset about brown hobbits and elves. Characters from a novelist who wrote the books to show that beings from all races could work together. It's one thing being a nerd and knowing all the names, places etc but that counts for nought when the spirit and subtext of the writing goes way over your head.

I think things have gone way over your head.

You're talking about his book that covers a Third Age tale.

His writings on the First and Second ages aren't what you described.

Elves were killing other Elves, Elves and Dwarves went to war over the Silmaril.

This show is based on the Second age, not the third age.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And what does real mean in the context of that word? Go on, do tell because I don't think you do know.

That you think a very common word that's used by people and critics to describe actors is age related is rather strange.

https://www.screenactorsworkshop.com.au/acting/wooden-acting/

Would seem the way you reacted to a word that adults use all the time places you in the child like category.

Good grief! Everyone understands the term wooden acting. Everyone ELSE also understands that Tolkien’s world is made up, and that there is no ‘real’ she-elf - not the one described in The original books, nor the version portrayed by Cate Blanchett in the films any more than the one portrayed by this new girl in this latest FICTIONAL ADAPTATION.

Honestly- stop embarrassing yourself, you pathetic middle-aged nerd.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think things have gone way over your head.

You're talking about his book that covers a Third Age tale.

His writings on the First and Second ages aren't what you described.

Elves were killing other Elves, Elves and Dwarves went to war over the Silmaril.

This show is based on the Second age, not the third age.

So you don't think there should be brown proto-hobbits?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

StOp geTtInG toKieN WroNg! :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here