Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] More of the Rings

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Good grief! Everyone understands the term wooden acting. Everyone ELSE also understands that Tolkien’s world is made up, and that there is no ‘real’ she-elf - not the one described in The original books, nor the version portrayed by Cate Blanchett in the films any more than the one portrayed by this new girl in this latest FICTIONAL ADAPTATION.

Honestly- stop embarrassing yourself, you pathetic middle-aged nerd.

Well done on proving your low IQ didn't know what real meant in context.

Real equals authentic you dimwit.

adjective
of undisputed origin and not a copy; genuine.

You call others middle aged and pathetic and yet you're an internet moderator. The absolutely epitome of a pathetic loser :lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

adjective

You call others middle aged and pathetic and yet you're an internet moderator. The absolutely epitome of a pathetic loser :lolol:

I actually admire your interest and knowledge of Tolkien's work. I genuinely think it's nice to have such an interest in things. However, I think you are getting a little worked up over the skin colour issue.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

adjective

Nice try. It’s quite clear what you meant by real. Don’t worry though. Such literal devotion to fictional worlds isn’t that unusual.

There’s a load of similarly obsessive Harry Potter fans. One of my boys was just as serious about the comings and goings of the trains on the Isle of Sodor. When he was three.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oh - and absolutely I’m middle-aged, and certainly capable of being pathetic. Not prone to taking myself (or my favourite children’s books) terribly, terribly seriously, though.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
:lol:

I know what ethereal and regal mean, thanks.

Unlike yourself though, apparently, I also know what REAL means.

A grown man getting aerated about the manner in which an actress chooses to portray a fictional character, is just funny, that’s all.

Point of order! Easy to dismiss something you don’t understand, and mock as childish too. However, Tolkien has been the subject of countless intellectuals. Moreover my wife says same about grown men and football and we’re ALL guilty of that! :)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It is nice to see the Tolkien stans paying homage to his propensity for the overblown, pompous and over-earnest.

You guys are doing him proud. Although it should be noted that his was more in his writing than real life.

The pissy screaming about lore and cannon are far more entertaining than the show (that they are all clearly still watching) :lolol:

The fact that they are currently standing together with the 'why did you include black people in it and make it all woke?' brigade is a little concerning though.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
It is nice to see the Tolkien stans paying homage to his propensity for the overblown, pompous and over-earnest.

You guys are doing him proud. Although it should be noted that his was more in his writing than real life.

The pissy screaming about lore and cannon are far more entertaining than the show (that they are all clearly still watching) :lolol:

The fact that they are currently standing together with the 'why did you includoe black people in it and make it all woke?' brigade is a little concerning though.

Tolkien would have been impressed with your overblown pompous post there.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Lol I saw this thread and thought "why has this new LOTR TV show produced such a large threadnaught on NSC?"

I enter the thread and lo and behold......

racists-racists-everywhere.jpg

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I actually admire your interest and knowledge of Tolkien's work. I genuinely think it's nice to have such an interest in things. However, I think you are getting a little worked up over the skin colour issue.

I don’t know much about Tolkien. I was trying to have a conversation about the casting of people of colour.
Enjoy the rest of the series.

In fairness, and for balance. You are, if we are being honest, trying to get a rise.

I think the show is non-canon and am treating it as much. It’s not for Tolkien fans, but they are sometimes unable to stay away and keep their mouths shut.

The show has nothing to do with Tolkien’s work. It’s disingenuous to pretend it is, but it’s pretty pathetic to get worked up over the whole thing. It’s a popcorn TV show based loosely on his writing.

Tyrone, if you don’t like it, fold your arms, don’t watch. If enough people do the same, things go away very fast.

Most people won’t care about the lore.

I was mostly concerned with how shit the acting was.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
In fairness, and for balance. You are, if we are being honest, trying to get a rise.

I think the show is non-canon and am treating it as much. It’s not for Tolkien fans, but they are sometimes unable to stay away and keep their mouths shut.

The show has nothing to do with Tolkien’s work. It’s disingenuous to pretend it is, but it’s pretty pathetic to get worked up over the whole thing. It’s a popcorn TV show based loosely on his writing.

Tyrone, if you don’t like it, fold your arms, don’t watch. If enough people do the same, things go away very fast.

No. I’m not trying to get a rise. I was trying to have a conversation about why someone would object to casting black people.

Please do not judge me by your own standards. The problem with thieves is they think everyone steals.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Everything you just said is counter to what the Showrunners have said.

Seems like you're totally ignoring what they said and how they set the expectations for the show. Not the fans.

"This show has nothing to do with Tolkien's work". I laughed. If it wasn't based on Tolkien's work then there was no need for Amazon to pay a huge amount of money to secure any rights then.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
No. I’m not trying to get a rise. I was trying to have a conversation about why someone would object to casting black people.

Please do not judge me by your own standards. The problem with thieves is they think everyone steals.

Except you frame the argument to make it seem like that people are saying no black people should be present in such tales which is a complete falsehood.

There's a whole nation of people who are black who exist in this world. Everytime anyone raises the Haradrim it's noticeable many people conveniently skip past that fact.

If all of a sudden these show runners portrayed the Haradrim as pale, blonde haired, blue the pushback from fans would be just as hard because it would be shit writing that looks ridiculous and a pointless change.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Except you frame the argument to make it seem like that people are saying no black people should be present in such tales which is a complete falsehood.

There's a whole nation of people who are black who exist in this world. Everytime anyone raises the Haradrim it's noticeable many people conveniently skip past that fact.

If all of a sudden these show runners portrayed the Haradrim as pale, blonde haired, blue the pushback from fans would be just as hard because it would be shit writing that looks ridiculous and a pointless change.

I have probably done a poor job of explaining myself;

I know there are characters of colour in Tolkiens’ writing. He tells us that there are different coloured characters in the lore. Coupled with the fact that he never explicitly said that there are no black elves or Hobbits etc, nobody should really have a problem with a black elf and black dwarves, hobbits etc.

It’s obvious to anyone that they have put these characters in the series to appeal to BAME audience members, broaden its appeal and reflect the modern world. I can sort of see why fans of Tolkien might not like that but I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s against what Tolkien stood for or that it ruins the show.

My problem with it is that it’s boring as ****.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
[tweet]1566884208081080321[/tweet]

It's been made in 2022. If it was made in in the 1990s/80s/70s there'd be something else to exercise y'all. Just enjoy it!

[tweet]1565125073089966080[/tweet]

Last edited:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I am so far feeling wholly underwhelmed by this series..... and in parallel, I am also finding that three episodes in, the prequel Game of Thrones series currently showing, is also slow, confused and lacking in polish and style.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I am so far feeling wholly underwhelmed by this series..... and in parallel, I am also finding that three episodes in, the prequel Game of Thrones series currently showing, is also slow, confused and lacking in polish and style.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

It's all personal preference of course, but maybe that's more an indictment of modern TV battling for viewing figures/subscribers. If it's not wham bam, in your face, within the first two episodes then it's consigned to the bin. Tolkien's books aren't like that, the story is overly descriptive and takes an age to actually get anywhere and in my opinion that's not a bad thing, but seems to run contrary to modern day TV viewing. I've just rewatched the first two episodes again and looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I have probably done a poor job of explaining myself;

I know there are characters of colour in Tolkiens’ writing. He tells us that there are different coloured characters in the lore. Coupled with the fact that he never explicitly said that there are no black elves or Hobbits etc, nobody should really have a problem with a black elf and black dwarves, hobbits etc.

It’s obvious to anyone that they have put these characters in the series to appeal to BAME audience members, broaden its appeal and reflect the modern world. I can sort of see why fans of Tolkien might not like that but I wouldn’t go so far as to say it’s against what Tolkien stood for or that it ruins the show.

My problem with it is that it’s boring as ****.

Like I've said before. This is on the showrunners and their shit talking and their shit writing that have caused much of this fuss.

They had no idea who they wanted their audience to be so they've tried to play the field and it's resulted in a heap of push back that some isn't warranted but a lot of it is.

It's also an awful take when these types of people think we all need representation of ourselves to enjoy something.

I LOVE my Asian movies where they produce similar fantasy or medieval war movies based on their mythologies and histories. To suggest I can't enjoy an Asian movie because I can't see someone that looks like me in the cast really is the epitome of a fraudulent arguement.

The only time this "modern world" nonsense seems to get brought up is with the Hollyweirdo crowd.

Last edited:

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I'm very much of the opinion that if magic people can fall from the sky then people's skin tones can certainly vary even within a small nomadic tribe, that seems to have cohabited for generations (because: magic). I don't doubt Mr Tolkien pictured things differently when he was writing his books, not that he was a racist more because a harmonious, mixed race society would have seemed so impossibly out of reach in his lifetime. But this particular change doesn't affect the story lines since I don't think any of the conflict and drama is based on skin colour so why not mix it up?

On the other hand making these simple, little halfling characters speak like leprechauns is a bit jarring and breaks the suspension of disbelief for me. I keep expecting them to find some lucky charms or potatoes. At least they haven't built Teletubby land this time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here