Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More great Work from ukip

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Sorry, but for every quick google article you do I can come up with one that counters it.

Fair enough, if you can find a commentary which recognises increasing sustainable growth in the eurozone, falling unemployment rates with a positive outloook that prove the Head of Honda (Europe) in his assessment of the european economy then knock yourself out...................

Anything by Lord Oakshott or Will Hutton doesnt count.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Use Google and you'll find Labour, Tory and Lib Dem members/MPs/supporters who have committed equally stupid sins - some criminal such as theft, assault and rape.

Whenever the UKIP debate resurfaces every other week this argument always gets used as if one somehow justifies the other.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Fair enough, if you can find a commentary which recognises increasing sustainable growth in the eurozone, falling unemployment rates with a positive outloook that prove the Head of Honda (Europe) in his assessment of the european economy then knock yourself out...................

Anything by Lord Oakshott or Will Hutton doesnt count.

I can't believe I'm doing this.

How about the CBI? Now, the Confederation for British Industry is hardly a hot-bed of left wing lentil eaters...

http://www.cbi.org.uk/media-centre/...esponds-to-chancellors-speech-on-eu-reform-1/

“The benefits to the UK of the EU single market far outweigh the costs and it remains fundamental to future growth and jobs.

“The Chancellor sets out a compelling case for reform to ensure Europe stays competitive. We need an EU that is more open and outward looking and must protect UK influence as the Eurozone integrates.

“A growing EU is in the UK’s national interest so we must build alliances with other member states to get the reforms we need.”

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
One of UKIP's problems remains that when it was formed a significant number of ex-BNP members jumped ship and have remained at its heart ever since awaiting their opportunity.

Absolute rubbish. UKIP is the only political party that refuses membership to former members of the BNP. Unlike Labour, whose Trevor Maxfield in Darwen was the former BNP Organizer there. Here in Milton Keynes we have a former Neo-Nazi as a Labour councillor. Meet Margaret Burke (!):
http://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/news/local/former-nazi-wins-a-labour-council-seat-1-3826439

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Absolute rubbish. UKIP is the only political party that refuses membership to former members of the BNP. Unlike Labour, whose Trevor Maxfield in Darwen was the former BNP Organizer there. Here in Milton Keynes we have a former Neo-Nazi as a Labour councillor. Meet Margaret Burke (!):
http://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/news/local/former-nazi-wins-a-labour-council-seat-1-3826439

There is a reason they require a specific rule that bans membership from former members of say the BNP when other parties don't, when you think about it...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01/07/ukip-edl-bnp_n_4549306.html
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/02/ukip-party-bigots-lets-look-evidence

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
There is a reason they require a specific rule that bans membership from former members of say the BNP when other parties don't, when you think about it...

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/01/07/ukip-edl-bnp_n_4549306.html
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/02/ukip-party-bigots-lets-look-evidence

When you think about it, many members of the left oppose the EU, which is why three members of the Labour group on Barking & Dagenham council defected to UKIP, including Tariq Saeed, a prominent Muslim business man in the town.
http://www.theenquirer.co.uk/muslim-councillor-defends-ukip-switch/

As for curbs on immigration from eastern Europe, as this has resulted in driving down workers wages in many parts of the country (notably the building industry), you will find many ex-Labour members defecting on this issue as well. Not because of "racism", but because the Labour party has failed to protect people's standards of living and wages. The "R" word and pro-EU rhetoric is now used by employers to keep wages low and maximise profits for themselves.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm not sure if I've recounted this on here before. Might have. Anyway...

The guy who lived next door to me for the last 10 years or so (until his partner recently threw him out) is one of these 'patriotic' types.

Petitioned the council to let him close our road, to host a street party on Forces Day - stuff like that. He flew the flag of St George in his back garden. Nothing wrong with any of that, but in leafy middle-class suburbia, not the norm, either.

He was involved in local politics - he put pamphlets through our door for something called the 'English Democrats' which as far as I could tell from the literature, were made up solely of dissafected BNP members looking for a veneer of respectability.

At the last local elections he stood as a UKIP councillor.

The last time I spoke to this guy, was in our respective front gardens. He came outside, because we had a letting agent's board in our garden. (Our house wasn't actually for rent - a freind was setting up a new business, and wanted to put some boards up to raise awareness of it).

"What's this about, then"

"Its a mate's new business"

"Oh. You're not moving, then?"

"No"

"thank goodness for that. You don't know who might move in. We don't want any pakis or anything moving round here"

"er, okay"

UKIP is a nationalistic party. Any pretence otherwise is patronising nonsense. I'd have more respect for them if they came out and said what they'd actually like to.

And besides, how can you take a party seriously, when their logo looks like Poundstretchers'?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm not sure if I've recounted this on here before. Might have. Anyway...

The guy who lived next door to me for the last 10 years or so (until his partner recently threw him out) is one of these 'patriotic' types.

Petitioned the council to let him close our road, to host a street party on Forces Day - stuff like that. He flew the flag of St George in his back garden. Nothing wrong with any of that, but in leafy middle-class suburbia, not the norm, either.

He was involved in local politics - he put pamphlets through our door for something called the 'English Democrats' which as far as I could tell from the literature, were made up solely of dissafected BNP members looking for a veneer of respectability.

At the last local elections he stood as a UKIP councillor.

The last time I spoke to this guy, was in our respective front gardens. He came outside, because we had a letting agent's board in our garden. (Our house wasn't actually for rent - a freind was setting up a new business, and wanted to put some boards up to raise awareness of it).

"What's this about, then"

"Its a mate's new business"

"Oh. You're not moving, then?"

"No"

"thank goodness for that. You don't know who might move in. We don't want any pakis or anything moving round here"

"er, okay"

UKIP is a nationalistic party. Any pretence otherwise is patronising nonsense. I'd have more respect for them if they came out and said what they'd actually like to.

And besides, how can you take a party seriously, when their logo looks like Poundstretchers'?

I take it you corrected him most vehemently over his use of the word 'Paki'.

Was it really 8 years ago ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I take it you corrected him most vehemently over his use of the word 'Paki'.

I wasn't going to have a row in my front garden, but I made pretty clear that I didn't share his world view.

We never spoke again. So glad he's gone.

SeagullTim

Boomer Sooner
Apr 22, 2006
Brighton
Running the economy will do for starters...

So the longest period of sustained positive economic growth (11 years) managed by a Labour government is not running the economy well?

I don't understand how conservatives can blame a Labour government for what was a GLOBAL economic crisis affecting every single economically developed country in the western world, primarily caused by a lack of bank regulation, which is a conservative policy implemented under the Bush administration!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
So the longest period of sustained positive economic growth (11 years) managed by a Labour government is not running the economy well?

I don't understand how conservatives can blame a Labour government for what was a GLOBAL economic crisis affecting every single economically developed country in the western world, primarily caused by a lack of bank regulation, which is a conservative policy implemented under the Bush administration!

Is the right answer.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Neither party can really be responsible for the ups and downs of the economy. Any A Level student of economics learns that there is an unbreakable economic cycle. The worrying thing was when Gordon Brown announced the end to boom and bust - was he really that stupid ?

SeagullTim

Boomer Sooner
Apr 22, 2006
Brighton
Neither party can really be responsible for the ups and downs of the economy. Any A Level student of economics learns that there is an unbreakable economic cycle. The worrying thing was when Gordon Brown announced the end to boom and bust - was he really that stupid ?

Historically yes, we've seen the cycle of boom and bust, with recessions occurring every 9/10 years but we went 17 years without a recession under the Major and Blair governments. If the cycle was "unbreakable" would you not expect us to have transitioned into growth and subsequent boom after the recession had ended, like the US did under Obama? The fact is that we were mismanaged under a conservative government, even after it seemed we were in the recovery stage under Labour in 2009-10 (5 consecutive positive growth quarters), we have now dipped back into negative growth under the Tories FOUR times.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I'll be voting Ukip in the Euros. Best way to get British people making laws for Britain.

If they get their way and there is an In/Out vote and it amazingly goes in favour of quitting Europe, will Mr Farage quit and close down his party machine saying something along the lines of " My work here is done " ... Methinks he will rather stay on his rather profitable gravy train.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I can't believe I'm doing this.

How about the CBI? Now, the Confederation for British Industry is hardly a hot-bed of left wing lentil eaters...

http://www.cbi.org.uk/media-centre/...esponds-to-chancellors-speech-on-eu-reform-1/

“The benefits to the UK of the EU single market far outweigh the costs and it remains fundamental to future growth and jobs.

“The Chancellor sets out a compelling case for reform to ensure Europe stays competitive. We need an EU that is more open and outward looking and must protect UK influence as the Eurozone integrates.

“A growing EU is in the UK’s national interest so we must build alliances with other member states to get the reforms we need.”

Dont disagree with any of the CBI's views, however a series of hackneyed statements about the type of EU that the CBI wants are not going to help the 500 workers down the road in Swindon who have just lost their jobs due to falling demand in the EU.

Like the CBI says, "A growing EU is in the UK’s national interest"............one that is not growing will evidently be of less significance and have less influence.

That is the point, all the short to medium economic indicators are negative (this is what the Head of Honda is saying), and this is a factor that is fuelling unrest in many parts of the EU. I have no doubt the monetarists and capitalists that support the EU want stability to further their own mercantile ends, however that is not how many working class people across the EU are feeling.

As I say, if you have good news on the EU's economic outlook feel free to share it.........................

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
If they get their way and there is an In/Out vote and it amazingly goes in favour of quitting Europe, will Mr Farage quit and close down his party machine saying something along the lines of " My work here is done " ... Methinks he will rather stay on his rather profitable gravy train.

Surely if the vote went for out then he would have achieved his main aim and he would be out of a job (at least on the EU side of things). He would then have to turn his attention to the UK parliament, get himself elected so as to tackle the rest of his policies.
Don't forget according to Dave we are going to have a vote after the next GE anyway.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Dont disagree with any of the CBI's views, however a series of hackneyed statements about the type of EU that the CBI wants are not going to help the 500 workers down the road in Swindon who have just lost their jobs due to falling demand in the EU.

Like the CBI says, "A growing EU is in the UK’s national interest"............one that is not growing will evidently be of less significance and have less influence.

That is the point, all the short to medium economic indicators are negative (this is what the Head of Honda is saying), and this is a factor that is fuelling unrest in many parts of the EU. I have no doubt the monetarists and capitalists that support the EU want stability to further their own mercantile ends, however that is not how many working class people across the EU are feeling.

As I say, if you have good news on the EU's economic outlook feel free to share it.........................

Have done already. If you choose to ignore it, there's not much I can do. As I said, I'm not going to get into tit for tat in google pastings as it wastes time.

As pretty much all serious business leaders will tell you, the national interests are better served by building relationships with Europe rather than moving away from Europe. I am not anti European reform, but then again, most Europeans want to see reform. UKIP wants to see withdrawl. I want a strong UK, and that isn't served by separating from Europe.

I think the Head of Honda should spend more time focused on reducing the number of product recalls (the most recalled manufacturer in 2013) and less time playing economist.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Quite. There is only so long they can keep saying a bigger boy did it and ran away.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

If they had run the economy well we wouldn't have had years of unsustainable growth followed by a catastrophic recession.

Ask your self why during the time of this growth we didn't hear a peep about excessive bankers bonuses?

Any concerns about excessive consumer borrowing?

Any concerns about the robustness of the regulatory framework implemented by Labour in 2000?

We did hear that Gordon Brown had abolished boom and bust.........no wonder we don't see him anymore.

At least Balls apologised for his part..........

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2011/sep/12/mps-shocked-ed-balls-says-sorry

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Historically yes, we've seen the cycle of boom and bust, with recessions occurring every 9/10 years but we went 17 years without a recession under the Major and Blair governments. If the cycle was "unbreakable" would you not expect us to have transitioned into growth and subsequent boom after the recession had ended, like the US did under Obama? The fact is that we were mismanaged under a conservative government, even after it seemed we were in the recovery stage under Labour in 2009-10 (5 consecutive positive growth quarters), we have now dipped back into negative growth under the Tories FOUR times.

People believe what they want to believe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here