Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More expense from virgin

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Just got another letter from Virgin telling me how fecking wonderful they are oh and
BTW, we are banging on another £3 to your monthly bill for BT Europe so I can watch the champions league. Woopy doo

Now with broadband, XL TV, sky and BT Sports, phone and TiVo, I extra box so we can watch TV in the dining room, I pay £130+ a month!

Has anyone else got Virgin and paying as much as this?

Why have a go at Virgin when by the sounds of it its BT who have caused the price increase by bidding for the Champions League matches. Oh and an extra box just to watch TV in the dining room...have you tried talking to each other instead.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Just got another letter from Virgin telling me how fecking wonderful they are oh and
BTW, we are banging on another £3 to your monthly bill for BT Europe so I can watch the champions league. Woopy doo

Now with broadband, XL TV, sky and BT Sports, phone and TiVo, I extra box so we can watch TV in the dining room, I pay £130+ a month!

Has anyone else got Virgin and paying as much as this?

Is this an optional channel? Surely they cannot force you to take a premium channel which is charged for?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Is this an optional channel? Surely they cannot force you to take a premium channel which is charged for?

It actually comes free with the XL package - all packages are increasing in price.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why have a go at Virgin when by the sounds of it its BT who have caused the price increase by bidding for the Champions League matches. Oh and an extra box just to watch TV in the dining room...have you tried talking to each other instead.

Maybe they've been married for a few years?

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Check out BT. Very pleased. I have basic TV,which gives a box plus a load of extra channels for about £7 a month. I also have Netflix which is about a fiver. You can have Sky Sports but I cancelled and have enough on BT sport which is free.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
As I guess is always the case new customers seem to get better rates, VM are installing next Saturday and I have the biggest pack available plus xtra tvo box for under £100 for the first 12 months istrc it's called the big daddy pack?

Eastleigh Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
I regularly threaten to leave Sky and did once for about 9 months. Currently have a package for unlimited phone calls, unlimited broadband and full hdtv package and pay them £56 a month which they have fixed for 12 months but can also leave at any time. I was quite happy with that one.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
I had tv XL, sky sports TiVo, 2nd box, phone from virgin. Was paying around £110. Inspired by this, and wanting out of sky sports anyway, rang them, and now down to £60 per month for the same, minus the sports. Had done research on what I could get from BT first.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I regularly threaten to leave Sky and did once for about 9 months. Currently have a package for unlimited phone calls, unlimited broadband and full hdtv package and pay them £56 a month which they have fixed for 12 months but can also leave at any time. I was quite happy with that one.

Do you have sport with that as well? If so I'm getting screwed! I pay similar to what the OP is paying for Sky. Admittedly I'm on their top Broadband package as I need a dedicated IP for work and I pay whatever it is for a phone line I never use but that still means I'm paying £90 a month for TV that I watch for a few hours an evening when I'm home. I don't have the movies but I do get everything else including BT Sport (who screwed me over big time by promising me a fixed rate and free HD to watch the champions league if I signed up for 12 months only 2 months into said contract tell me it's going to cost me an extra fiver a month to get the champions league channel!!).

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Anyone with Virgin that wants Sky Sports could buy a NowTV streaming box (Sky) and use either the day pass £6.99 or week pass £10.99 or the new monthly pass for 31.99. Could work out cheaper if you don't need sports all the time - or even all the time..

Last edited:

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
I called Virgin the two weeks ago and renegotiated as I do every 12 months.

Currently we have 1GB Tivo box, another v+HD box, XL TV, 128 MB Broadband and weekend calls, costing £52.88 per month. also confirmed yesterday that we will not be getting the £3 increase as we are on a promotional deal.

If anyone is one Virgin and has a promotional offer or agreed package rate, you do not get the £3 increase.

I always go straight through to the retention's team and are honest with what I want to pay and what I can get elsewhere.

Also, the sky Sports season ticket on Virgin last year was £150 on off, making it an added £15 per month, which compared to what ti should cost isn't too bad.

The other thing to note is Sky has increased their pricing too for their basic and sports packages and they have lost the Champions League rights, so its not just virgin paying for the BT Sport sub!

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Moving tomorrow and so signed up to BT. 38 m/b fibre with 4k BT Sports and all the fancy premium channels I'll never watch. £41 a month for 12 months including £125 sainsburys voucher and £171 cashback. Works out to be £16.33 a month with the cashback and voucher included.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Like all utilities etc., all depends upon screwing your head up with the weasel deals which one's existing supplier is offering.

I am currently with BT for Fibre Optic Broadband, TV and Sky Sports 1,2 &5, telephone with unlimited access, supposed privacy. I don't want the films etc..

As out of contract, they tell me I now have to pay an extra £5 per month for BT Sports unless I sign up to a new 18 months contract (no way)

Paying currently £76.64 monthly for this (with obviously that extra £5 from next month)

Can anyone equate with that or indeed tell me where else I should go for a better deal as it is all so confusing for a 68 years old duffer ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We pay £66 a month for Sky only without Movies, with Sky Sports but not BT Sport and includes HD. Every month Virgin mail me but it goes in the bin, are we paying over the odds ?

NB I subscribed to Sky Sports for the first Premiership season which was £1.99 a month then

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
i pay 45 for broadband, phone, xl package, sky movies, bt sport and all sky sport channels.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here