Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Montoya to Betis - deal complete

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Montoya is a really smooth passer and is normally good with his positioning. However, in either box, his goals, assists & saving tackle stats were not great. He does not affect the result of the game as much as Lamptey.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Nonsense, He’d probably tell you that himself.

Look at their careers

Couldn’t care less about their careers, Montoya is absolutely shocking defensively, his positioning is dreadful.

People always said he’s good going forward, never saw that either. Tell me what Montoya does well? Genuine question.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Hugely underrated player for us, but with the change in system, a year left on his contract, and a glut of interesting RB options it's probably the right time to part ways.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Montoya is a really smooth passer and is normally good with his positioning. However, in either box, his goals, assists & saving tackle stats were not great. He does not affect the result of the game as much as Lamptey.

In fairness to Monty it's likely to be a good few years before the Albion have another full back who can affect the result of a Premier League game as much as Lamptey.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Couldn’t care less about their careers, Montoya is absolutely shocking defensively, his positioning is dreadful.

People always said he’s good going forward, never saw that either. Tell me what Montoya does well? Genuine question.

Maybe relative to the Divisions they played in for us. Caldi never played top flight, with exception of stints in Cyprus and India. Montoya has only ever played top flight, except for Barca B at the start of his career.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

The Athletic did a great comparison between Lamptey and Montoya. The conclusion is essentially that Montoya is a pretty good traditional right-back. His positioning is good, he releases the ball to wingers quickly and makes a lot of tackles and wins over half of them (in comparison to Lamptey's 30%). Montoya is safer in possession but far less ambitious.

Ultimately, Montoya is good at his job he's just not a very ambitious RB. Lamptey drags the team forward by beating players (playing like a RWB) and attempting a huge amount of dribbles. He also gets fouled all the time, almost 4 times as much as Montoya, which obviously allows the whole team to shift forward.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Why are people even talking realistically about Lamptey going this summer? I thought he was nailed on to stay for at least one more window.

Cheers Montoya. I liked you, and it shows how far we’ve come that we aren’t more devo’d you’re (probably) off. No fuss, technically sound. Great squad player. Assume he wants first team.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Why are people even talking realistically about Lamptey going this summer? I thought he was nailed on to stay for at least one more window.

Cheers Montoya. I liked you, and it shows how far we’ve come that we aren’t more devo’d you’re (probably) off. No fuss, technically sound. Great squad player. Assume he wants first team.

Who are you referring to? I've seen absolutely no-one suggest he is going somewhere this summer.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Depends whether Leeds want him, I'd have thought.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Montoya is a good RB, but was never the cult/legend figure that Calderon and Bruno were. Lamptey might reach those levels.

Solid player though. When did we start calling him Monty though?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here