Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Montoya to Betis - deal complete

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Can we please forget the Alzate at right back idea even as I fill in occasionally. It's not natural for him and wastes the passing ability and composure that we've seen snippets of so far.

Agreed tbh. But we’ve not seen snippets, we’ve seen it in abundance. It’s more if there was 2 injuries he’d be an option to fill in. I’d rather him RB than Montoya, but he is def a midfielder.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Certainly fits with what had been mentioned to me a little while ago.

You little tease, I thought their was no info these days ;)

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Montoya always seemed a decent sort. Fingers crossed whatever happens works our for him.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Montoya always seemed a decent sort. Fingers crossed whatever happens works our for him.

Agree – always struck me as a really good pro and I think he's put in some excellent performances for us.

We live in amazing times when a player that good can't hold down a regular slot in a Brighton side.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Agree – always struck me as a really good pro and I think he's put in some excellent performances for us.

We live in amazing times when a player that good can't hold down a regular slot in a Brighton side.

Really?

I must be in a minority of one and going against everyone else on this thread, as I often/always thought he was the weak link in our defenders :down:

No pace, not especially good delivery. I for one will be pleased if he goes......just saying like

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Losing Montoya would be a shame but he doesn't benefit from being in and out of the team at random. Betis spend plenty of money so hopefully we'll make back the €7m or so we paid for him originally. He's a solid player and I think we're spoilt to think he's not been a successful signing.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm sure Montoya will leave in the summer. In no way was him time with us a failure, but you sense that neither Hughton or Potter were 100% convinced by him or what he had to bring.

If he leaves, he leaves with my thanks, gratitude and best wishes.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Losing Montoya would be a shame but he doesn't benefit from being in and out of the team at random. Betis spend plenty of money so hopefully we'll make back the €7m or so we paid for him originally. He's a solid player and I think we're spoilt to think he's not been a successful signing.

He's been quite bad but until Lamptey there werent a lot of options. Not that random.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
If we're playing 4 at the back, Lamptey or Veltman are the options, with Webby as emergency cover and Yapi coming through
If three at the back, then Lamptey if nailed on for the right wing back slot. Personally I think Solly would be the next in line, then Alzate (out of position). Whether GP is happy with this, we'll find out in the next month's transfer dealings

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I think players like Alzate are more suited to being moved to a different position and rotated at random. I don't think it benefits every player, and it certainly hasn't helped Montoya to be in the team and no matter how he played knowing he might not even make the next squad or two. He always seemed to me to be a stronger player after a run of games, but I do agree with the consensus that he hasn't been as good as we had hoped he would be.

He certainly hasn't been bad for us, you'd have to have become a fan in the last 12 months to think that. Lamptey has brought a new dimension to our team, but he looks a bit lost as a wing back and that could be a problem.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Really?

I must be in a minority of one and going against everyone else on this thread, as I often/always thought he was the weak link in our defenders :down:

No pace, not especially good delivery. I for one will be pleased if he goes......just saying like

It's all about opinions, innit. I'm speaking as a fan with not much technical appreciation of the game, as I've never played it beyond primary school B team level, and I'm sure other people see lots of stuff that goes over my head.

But Montoya always struck me as a good player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here