Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monte Cassino

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
My Grandad was there, also North Africa. Was one of the last off Dunkirk when they made a mad dash for it after keeping the Germans at bay for days

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
My Dad with the Royal Signals. I visited the war graves with him in the mid eighties when we had a short visit to Italy. Very moving.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I'm quite a level-headed bloke, but some of the stories I heard about Monte Cassino when I
visited (from the guide) scared the hell out of me. It must have been hell on earth there.

I think the most poignant thing was
that the US could afford to ship their fallen heroes home - we and the NZ, Canadian and Polish
couldn't afford to - which is why there are very few US graves there.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
They're doing a major feature film of Monte Cassino if anyone's interested. Big Hollywood budget apparently.

Probably starring Tom Hanks and without a single mention of anyone other than American troops involved.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I'm quite a level-headed bloke, but some of the stories I heard about Monte Cassino when I
visited (from the guide) scared the hell out of me. It must have been hell on earth there.

I think the most poignant thing was
that the US could afford to ship their fallen heroes home - we and the NZ, Canadian and Polish
couldn't afford to - which is why there are very few US graves there.

Don't forget the large Indian contingent.

May 12, 2009
I've just read a Royal Sussex memoir that includes the author's experiences at Cassino. Well worth a read. Title is 'Age Shall Not Weary Them' by Roy Rees.

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
My Grandad was at Monte Cassino,he had also fought in North Africa and the whole Italian campaign,would never realy speak about his experiences though,just said the whole thing was a shocking business.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
My Grandad (from Storrington) was a paratrooper.

Amazing really, that all this happened so recently.

May 12, 2009
The 1st Battalion the Royal Sussex were part of the 4th Indian Division so would have fought together. My grandfather was with the 1st Battalion from 1933 to 1943.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Do you speak any Polish?

Not enough. Put it this way, when I listen to the safety briefing on a flight to Warsaw or Krakow, I usually manage to get my safety belt fastened okay, but the flotation thingy always ends up round my neck.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
An uncle of mine got shot in the leg at Cassino. He was actually helping get a wounded comrade down when he got one! Never really talked about it.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Sounds like a lot of similar stories, Grandad was in North Africa too before MC.

He apparently used to tell one story, of how some market trader in Cairo was constantly pestering my Grandad and a few of his comrades to buy something; they got so fed up they threw him and whatever he was selling into the Nile.

Ozziemate

May 7, 2013
When I was serving a few years back, we did a battlefield tour including the battle to take the monastery at Monte Cassino following the advance to Anzio and beyond. Our instructor was none other than Patrick Mercer (former MP), as he was ex-mil, I assume this was a pastime for him. I dread to think of what anyone went through who was there on either side.
I remember there was a Panzer halfway up the monastery road still intact. We rein acted the advance across the flooded river without artillery and it was difficult! That was without the battlefield environment, the awful weather they had and the floods they had to live in! Horrible horrible battle.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I remember going by coach from Naples to Rome in the 70's and looking up at the monastery from the E-45 autostrada.

Nothing moving on that road unless the people at the top of the hill want it to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here