Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monte Cassino

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I was in Monte Cassino last week - Prince Harry had been there ten days
earlier to commemorate events as well as visit the Polish cemetery.

I was looking at the wreaths that had been laid and the Royal Sussex Regiment
(which lost half their number I believe) were prominent. They saw some of the
worst fighting as did Polish, NZ, Canadians and US as well as others.

I wondered if anyone on NSC had relations who fought there. Apparently the
Regiment, which no longer exists, was based in Chichester.

I think my grandfather fought there as part of the 8th - Apparently he used to have great respect for the Poles who he regarded as fierce fighters. He was in a Surrey Regiment though I believe. He died when I was very young and was very coy about his war years. Is there any way I can find out without paying a fortune?

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I think my grandfather fought there as part of the 8th - Apparently he used to have great respect for the Poles who he regarded as fierce fighters. He was in a Surrey Regiment though I believe. He died when I was very young and was very coy about his war years. Is there any way I can find out without paying a fortune?

My dad was at Cassino and I remember him saying that he was in the East Surrey regiment for some of his service. Like your grandfather, he didn't talk about it very much and he died quite young so I never had a chance to really ask him about his experiences. Looking at Wikipedia, apparently the East Surreys were at Cassino and then moved to Greece, where I know my dad also served.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
My dad was at Cassino and I remember him saying that he was in the East Surrey regiment for some of his service. Like your grandfather, he didn't talk about it very much and he died quite young so I never had a chance to really ask him about his experiences. Looking at Wikipedia, apparently the East Surreys were at Cassino and then moved to Greece, where I know my dad also served.

Thanks. Was he also at El Alamein? I'm sure my grandad was. I'm told he fought in Burma too at some point.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
He was in North Africa but not at El Alamein and certainly not in Asia. I think after Greece he ended up in Austria, but he wasn't in the East Surreys for all of his service.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
They're doing a major feature film of Monte Cassino if anyone's interested. Big Hollywood budget apparently.

Unfortunately the press jumped the gun on the film already being made,there are still plans to make the film,John Irvin is the director behind it who wants to bring the story to the big screen,last i read there are still issues with financing.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
wojtek-soldier-bear-iwm.jpg

Don't forget Wojtek the bear. He also served in those same battles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojtek_(bear)

What a remarkable animal he must have been to carry out his duty with all that was going on about him.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Yeah, my grandfather was there too. He never really talked about the war though, the only thing I ever garnered from him was a slight contempt for the U.S military.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

A lot of info here.
http://www.veterans-uk.info

Copies of service records
http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here